Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling lonely

Options
  • 24-04-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know I'm not the only one, but as of lately Iv become very depressed. I don't have many friends and the ones i do have-I don't have anything in common with. I'm 20 years old and I'v never really had a proper girlfriend. Im not hideous or anything, I'm just not into the usual stuff like going out and drinking which it seems like everyone is.

To add to this Iv recently lost my job and finding it hard to get another, to be honest I feel lonely and would just like a girl to talk to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm not a girl, but I can assure you that you are not the only pesron wh is feeling the way you are. I would suggest that - at this time - you 'revolutionalise' your life. For example, you mentioned that you have nothing in common with your friends - Has this always been the case? If so, then move away from them and find people who are more like you. I ditched all of my friends years ago because I simply said to myself that I've nothign in common with them and I just won't bother anymore.

Be very aware of your likes and dislikes, and don't let anything into your life that you know will just add weight to your mind.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

The first positive thing i'll point out OP is that you found it out all by yourself that you are somehow different to your mates...build on that difference by using the interests you DO have, and try find other like-minded people out there who do in a club or society. With any luck there will be female members too and there you go, simple chat about stuff you both like:)

One thing about women is that they like men who are confident in their abilities, ambitious and self driven;) Dont worry about anything to do with girlfriends yet, you are only 20 there is so much time to give it a shot in future, i myself never went down the girlfriend route, just havent been interested in it and i'm 28...yet i am happy with that:)

I'm hoping some others can post some more informative stuff, but maybe what i've said will be a push in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not the OP, I'm a guy, late 20s, and I'm feeling basically the same.
    Lonely, isolated, I've lost track of most of my friends, I've no job and I find myself single for the first time in many years...

No job means no money, no money means I can't go out and meet people, not meeting people means no new people, no new people means, bluntly, I'm not likely to get laid anytime soon. Even if I did meet new people I don't like the idea of one night stands, so no joy there... and it takes for ever to actually get to know people well enough otherwise...
    Although it's a annoyance the lack of sex isn't as bad as the lack of emotional comfort...

I'm sure the few of my friends that I'm still in occasional contact with are, by now, unsympathetic... certainly almost none of them contact me on their own initiative.

Every so often I try to make a change, exercise to lift my spirits, resolve to get up and go out... attempts to self motivate ... but after a short time it always seems to fall apart again.

I want to get out of this mess, but everything I try only works in the very short term and doesn't last long enough to get me to a level that's self sustaining...

I think I've said to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

op, you're 20 yrs old man. if oyun had a magic wand and could choose to do anything with your life, what would you have?? where would you be, with who, doing what?? there are opportunities out there waiting for you to go and grab them, what you waiting for, them to come to you?????? what will be going on in your life in a year/2 year/ 5year?????
    AlsoLonely wrote: »
    I'm not the OP, I'm a guy, late 20s, and I'm feeling basically the same.
    Lonely, isolated, I've lost track of most of my friends, I've no job and I find myself single for the first time in many years...

No job means no money, no money means I can't go out and meet people, not meeting people means no new people, no new people means, bluntly, I'm not likely to get laid anytime soon. Even if I did meet new people I don't like the idea of one night stands, so no joy there... and it takes for ever to actually get to know people well enough otherwise...
    Although it's a annoyance the lack of sex isn't as bad as the lack of emotional comfort...

I'm sure the few of my friends that I'm still in occasional contact with are, by now, unsympathetic... certainly almost none of them contact me on their own initiative.

Every so often I try to make a change, exercise to lift my spirits, resolve to get up and go out... attempts to self motivate ... but after a short time it always seems to fall apart again.

I want to get out of this mess, but everything I try only works in the very short term and doesn't last long enough to get me to a level that's self sustaining...

I think I've said to much.
    maybe start your own thread and you will have responses posted just for you.
    the part i've bolded, as long as you continue to say this to yourself, nothing will ever change. now away and post a new thread all for yourself

Advertisement