Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheet Plastic and Hardboard

Options
  • 24-04-2009 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Does any one know of cheap suppliers that might so plastic (PVC or poly ethylene) sheets and/or hardboard sheets at a managable distance from dublin.

Also What wood bends easily?? (planks and sheets) I am looking to build Drum Cases which involve a round top and bottom, cylinder or sheet wood/plastic, good reinforcements and preferably light enough for general use. Any suggestions for materials??

I am weighing up my options at the moment. I know the price of proper cases(400 for 5 cases) so i'm trying to beat them seen as I'm broke :D.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Standard DPM used under floors (polyethylene) comes in 1200 gauge and will cost about €35 from a builder's providers; hardboard is pretty cheap so I'd say go to your nearest merchant and haggle- any builder's merchant will be glad to see you these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is a program on discovery about making these it was very interesting. The jist is they can be made 2 ways, one by successfully bending a solid pce of wood(think it was maple) or 2 by glueing pcs together than bending them. Both systems involved the use of industrilal glue and clamps for 24 hrs roughly

Any way the glued multiple layers were the cheaper version but equally as good

No sorry I dont know any suppliers locally, have you considered making the dearer one's first, perhaps if you can off the dearer ones at the cheaper ones prices you will have a stronger market than compeating with the cheaper market!

Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

6mm ply soaked over night. doubled up.

I have used this to build round and curved walls. Lots of studs help.

dont know it will help in your applacation

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

cheers guys. Thats handy to know. I'll keep it in mind.

probably should have specified - i need hard plastic sheeting, like that of hard suitcases. Some cases are made from a specific strand of polyethylene or some with PVC.

What i would also need is steel edging for the reinforcements, i suppose a trip to the building supplier is in order but im goin on a low budget so im wondering if anyone knows of a particularly cheap one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sorry TheBigRed Dog, I've just realised after re-reading my post that I completely misunderstood your requirements, so my answer wasn't very useful at all! Sorry 'bout that!

Jack of all

• Advertisement

Ha ha no worries man thanks for the input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Would a section cut from a clean "chemical drum" be easier and quicker ( you may be able to spray it)

This sort of thing :
    http://www.en.zti.ru/category/02-bochki-227-232-litrov/

Need to be certain what was in it though

thats not a bad idea.... :D I shall investigate that! Only problem is the tighter the fit the better cos i dont have a lot of space... Can you get multiple sizes???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Sorry should have posted this link so you'd see the different sizes

http://www.en.zti.ru/category/2-plastikovaya-tara/

Something like chemical_drum --- foam---- plastic_liner
    drum to give a tight fit for your drum kit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

For plastic sheets:

http://www.365plastics.ie/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement