Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mighty Proud Of Myself

Options
  • 24-04-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Here comes a MEGA brag as I am so happy and very proud of this achievement.

"Harry" arrived here earlier this year in a pitiful state. He was crawling with lice, full of worms, underweight like hell and severly anaenic, he could barely walk and had to balance his hindlegs before he could put his head down to eat. Lots of meds, tonics, supplements, haylage, ration and now grass later he looks so much better. Image those pics without his thick wintercoat and you get an idea what shape he was in.

p929533.jpg
    p929535.jpg

Lots of meds, tonics, supplements, haylage, ration and now grass later he looks so much better. At 17hh he was VERY hard to get right and is like a bottomless pit BUT he is getting there and showed it today! Loads of pics because I am so proud of him as 2 vets recommended PTS when they saw him:

p929472.jpg
    p929520.jpg
    p929521.jpg
    p929524.jpg

He isn't fully there yet but BOY he is so much better now!

EGAR doesn't just "do" dogs, ya know :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

My god what a difference you have made to that horse.

He is absolutely lovely, and obviously SO much happier!

People like you give me a renewed faith in humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Well done, he looks much better now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

You're my hero!! He's gorgeous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

That's great.

What I don't get is that you seem to need to be recognized for this.

Well done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

He looks like a dote & I'd say he is doted on.
    I can't wait for the day I can take in a rescue pony/ horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

An extremely well deserved brag EGAR.. again you have gon above and beyond!

Well Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

What I don't get is that you seem to need to be recognized for this

Then let me explain. I deal with sick, abandoned, starved animals day in and day out for the past 12 1/2 years of my doing animal resuce in Ireland. Not to mention cruelty cases which would make your hair stand up. I do not get paid to do this, I am doing it in my own time with mostly my own resources. So yes, it is nice to get a (virtual) pat on the shoulder for things well done.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

EGAR wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Absolutely not!! Well feckin done (dublin praise) :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

You completely deserve to brag & BRAG LOUDLY!!!!!

I know a little about horses & by you first photo Harry looks like a very undernourished pony. I reckoned it was a mistype when you said 17 hands....but the last photo (OMG!! my fav...he's floating) shows his height, stamina and rump (he had nothing to begin with)

What sort of age is he? Can he be ridden? I reckon you'll have no problem rehoming if thats what you plan to do.

I used to work in a stable & we had some ponies robbed. It took a week to find them & it was so pitiful. They had been ridden into the ground, severely dehydrated, cig burns all over, tied up in a way they couldn't get water or grass. It was months before we undid the damage done in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

4955414.gif?man_pat_on_the_back_boy_lg_wm
    Not the best clipart but too late to find better!! WELL DONE:):):):)

• Advertisement

Thank you!!! :)

Little A, he is about 8 years old according to his teeth. He takes the bit and he backs up as well if asked to do so. I haven't tried to ride him yet as he still isn't "fully there" - he finds it very difficult to shed his wintercoat and it's not coming off that well with the curry comb etc either. He's still on quite few supplement ((Ironxcell, Epsom Salt, just had Copper etc).

Most of the rescue horses I have taken in over the years were ponies or cobs, so a 17hh is a bit of a challenged since I am 2 hand higher than a duck :D.

But he has a wonderful temperament and never sulked after injections etc. Follows me everywhere in the field and comes running when he sees me (even without the feeding bucket :D).

I am sure he will make someone very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Aw wow, well done!!! You've done an AMAZING job with him! he looks great, i especially love the last pic! looks like he's flying!!! :D he looks so happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Little A, he is about 8 years old according to his teeth.

His teeth told you that?!

Just kiddin...

Well done Egar. Great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

i dont know anything about horses but well done. well deserved bragging rights! you have made such a difference in this horse its amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

As usual EGAR, well done.

Would you consider rugging him to hasten the shedding of his winter coat?

Does he live out 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

i got teary when i saw the photos of him leaping around full of energy!! happy tears obviously :) well done, you did a fantastic job, being proud is well deserved!

missloulou wrote: »
    Would you consider rugging him to hasten the shedding of his winter coat? Does he live out 24/7?

Yes, he now lives out 24/7. So do the other horses, they had no problem shedding without help and are now shiny with their new coat. The horse vet advised against rugging him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Well done Egar!!! That is just fantastic and so are you for sticking with him and getting him through all that. He just looks so happy in himself in those last pics.:)

missloulou wrote: »
    Would you consider rugging him to hasten the shedding of his winter coat?

Temperature has nothing to do with the shedding of the coat, it's to do with increased day light hours.

EGAR I would take him out in hand or long rein him first before getting on board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Awesome job, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

holy crap. Them pictures are so nice but so upsetting at the same time. Thank you so much for making him so happy. There is a few horses down near me that are owned by travellers and I called down to em last week to give em some food. I dont know what they eat so I just cut up some bread. Sorry if thats not good for them I honestly dont know what they eat. If someone could PM me what horses love I would be delighted. There about 8 of them in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

seanybiker wrote: »
    holy crap. Them pictures are so nice but so upsetting at the same time. Thank you so much for making him so happy. There is a few horses down near me that are owned by travellers and I called down to em last week to give em some food. I dont know what they eat so I just cut up some bread. Sorry if thats not good for them I honestly dont know what they eat. If someone could PM me what horses love I would be delighted. There about 8 of them in the field.

For treats, they love mints, apples, carrots, sometimes even bananas. Sugar cubes are always a favourite, too.

For actual food, hay, oats, sweet feed, cubes, bran, etc but you'd have to actually go into a shop for all that and it's ridiculously pricey.

Guess you could buy a bag of oats from the grocers, just make sure there's no additives, although a little sugar wouldn't hurt them.

EGAR I would take him out in hand or long rein him first before getting on board.

Yes, I've already had him out on the road in hand a couple of times. He is very biddable and has a keen eye. Since he is so tall and I am so short I might need a step ladder to get on board :D. I am not used to horses that size (mine are 14.2hh max apart from the OTTB mare but she is a garden ornament due to tendon injury), so I will actually be well over 7 feet off the ground with my head and can look over the ditch :pac:.

I'll take is nice and easy with him.

liah wrote: »
    Guess you could buy a bag of oats from the grocers, just make sure there's no additives, although a little sugar wouldn't hurt them.

I'd strongly advise against feeding oats to idle ponies, especially if you don't know them and they are non-working. Oats are heating food and if you feed them to ponies they can become stone mental. Cool 'N Easy or Cool 'N Cooked ration or cubes are alot better for ponies as they are non-heating.

Harry doesn't know any of the treats and he wont eat them. But he will yet, he is watching my others munching a carrot or an apple and seems to be curious enough. I've rasped (?) carrots and apples into his ration and he eats it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

If you are concerned about the horses' welfare you should contact an animal rescue. Horses can have allergies and intolerances and some plants are poisonous to them. You can do more harm than good if you were to feed them the wrong food, especially if you have no knowledge of what a horse's diet should consist of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

HURRAY! Look at him go! He looks so happy! Well Done You!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Pregnant and hormonal i shed a tear of happiness to see the horse so happy! You are great EGAR, you really are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Since he is so tall ...

I'm looking for a tall horse!

Don't be giving them tit bits as it encourages nipping which quickly turns to biting.

If your not knowledgeable about horses please don't go into the field in case you get yourself kicked.

If you want to do something check that they have water. If not report it to the welfare people or even ask the travellers themselves.

• Advertisement

I resurrected the old thread rather than starting a new one to give you all an update on Harry:

p939760.jpg
    p939759.jpg

And ickle Milo is dead jealous of his big "brother"
    p939748.jpg

:)

Advertisement