Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Comics/Graphics rated by artwork?

Options
  • 24-04-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So I love my slowly growing comic and graphic novel collection but I also love my likewise growing collection of art books, Paper Tiger and so forth.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for series, trade collections and graphic novels that have really caught peoples' eyes in terms of the artwork inside.

To give an idea of what I mean, I'll read the likes of most Marvel, DC etc for the stories alone. The art tends to be forgettable. 2000AD, Red Star, Grendel etc I'll find myself going back to time and time again, to find a remembered panel that was beautiful/striking etc.

That's what I want more of. :)

Any suggestions would be great.

In line with sticky, the ones I've liked best so far would be, 1) Red star 2) Sláine (more recent ones obv.) 3) Necrophim (another 2000AD on ^^) 4) Grendel 5) Arkham Asylum

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

well any of Alex Ross's Artwork is great in comics. Also Jae Lee and Richard isanove's Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born is a fine looking comic. Spawn: Godslayer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

It will all really depend on what kind of art you like. For me I much prefer the cartoon style that is more associated with comics and am not really a big fan of the current photo realistic style that seems to be dominating now. Artists that would make me pick up a title would be.

Joe Maureira ( Battle Chasers has great artwork but I would reccomend his X-men work which is collected in one volume.)

Humerto Ramos (Crimson)

Chris Bachalo ( First run on Generation X)

Jeff Matsuda (X-Factor)

Travis Charest( Wildcats)

Frank Miller (Sin City)

Terry Dodson (Generation X)

Adam Kubert ( X-men)

Carlos Pacheco (any of his work)

Jim Lee ( Batman)

They are a couple of mine, I will post more when I think of them. If you like the Dark painted style Clayton Crain's work on X-force might catch your eye but I find in a a bit too dark sometimes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Half the joy that many folks derived from 100 Bullets was due to Eduardo Risso's wonderful artwork, so now could be as good a time as any to start picking up the trades - the final volume collecting the last 11 issues will be out in June. Check out the first issue (PDF download link from DC;s website here) and see what you think.

The Hollow Grounds also has wonderful artwork, although it seems to be hard to get hold of. DC released an English-language version of it under the DC/Humanoids deal but that was at a smaller size than the original albums; I've only read the smaller version but it's apparently worth seeking out the original French editions.

D'israeli also tends to produce lovely-looking work regardless of what the material is. For example, Lazarus Churchyard, Kingdom of the Wicked and Stickleback all have different styles and yet all are gorgeous-looking books in their own ways.

They are a couple of mine, I will post more when I think of them. If you like the Dark painted style Clayton Crain's work on X-force might catch your eye but I find in a a bit too dark sometimes.

Oh forgot that one, you could try ARIEL OLIVETTI 's Cable as well, both that and xforce have some great art in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

craine did an amazing ghost rider mini too just prior to the x force stuff (trail of tears i think) story aint the best but the arts amazing

he's come along way from that bloke from image. :)

travis charest is so tallented he makes me wanna puke. im pretty sure he's been working on his own project for the last few years that he intends to publish in one go so ya might hear something from him someday, till then his wildcats stuff is great.

and of course john cassady's planetary stuff is actually a rare occasion when the art is just as good as the script. the last issue of that is due soon apparently :)

pretty much everthing else has been mentioned already that i like. though you could do worse than "top ten". gene ha and zander cannon did a great job there and its moore FFS so ya cant go wrong :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Fysh wrote: »
    Half the joy that many folks derived from 100 Bullets was due to Eduardo Risso's wonderful artwork, so now could be as good a time as any to start picking up the trades - the final volume collecting the last 11 issues will be out in June. Check out the first issue (PDF download link from DC;s website here) and see what you think.

Actually meant to include Risso, he really manages to make his art style fit into the darkness of the 100 Bullets story when it really shouldn't. Great artist and his attention to detail and hidden references is amazing.

Ah just remembered, you could try digital artists like Stjepan Sejic and Alexi Broclat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Well, if your just going to drool over the art work I'd invest in some of those expensive oversized hardcovers. There are plenty out there depending on your tastes, some personnel favourites: Big Damn Hard Boiled for Geof Darrow: Hip Flask concrete jungle for "extra widescreen" Laodronn: Hellboy Library Mignola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Well, not "just" drool over the artwork, I just don't feel as bad about splurging cash on comic books when the artwork is as good as the storyline it illustrates.

Looking over all the suggestions I see some I'd forgotten to mention (Dark Tower I have and love) and the rest I'll be tracking down to look over.

Thanks a bunch lads and lassies.

Advertisement