Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assume vs. Presume

• 25-04-2009 6:50am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have looked the two words, assume and presume, up in the dictionary to try and decipher a contrast between the two but I didn't get far. Presume means to assume something true without proof or until proof is obtained. Assume means to take upon yourself a meaning. But to me it seems like the two can be interchangeable (which I'm sure in reality they cannot)

E.g. As the milk wasn't outside the door this morning, I presume it was you who took it in
    But: As the milk wasn't ouside the door this morning, I assume that it was you who took it in

Can anyone help shed some light on this? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ah, thanks for helping!

But if one assumes without external evidence, in your first example
    "The milk wasn't outside this morning, so I assume you brought it in" is correct if the speaker is merely hypothesizing as to why the milk isn't on the doorstep. She could also assume that the milkman didn't deliver milk that morning, that a thief stole the milk, and so on.

But wouldn't the fact that there was no milk outside the door be external evidence? You can't assume a thief stole it unless you saw there was no milk there!

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ah I see - I understand now. Thank you for the answer - you have been very helpful!

Advertisement