Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicotine withdrawels on Champix???

Options
  • 25-04-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

The other half has been on Champix for just 4 days now and is as cranky as if he had stopped smoking! He reckons he's having nicotine withdrawals because the drug stops the nicotine receptors in the brain (or something like that!) and so he's not getting any nicotine. So he's flippin' smoking more than usual now which doesn't seem to be the norm for people on Champix!

Has he got the wrong end of the stick here and imagining he's having nicotine withdrawals...? He's tried so many times to stop smoking before and this is the last resort so any advice really appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I don't remember having withdrawal symptoms while I was taking Champix and still smoking. Maybe he's just having a bad day! Or maybe he's just nervous because Champix is the "last resort" for him. I know I was very apprehensive because it was my last resort too and I was so afraid it wouldn't work. But it did. Tell him to try and relax and not to over analyse how he is feeling over the next few weeks and to do his best to believe it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for that! :)

Yeah, I think he might be over-analyzing allright! Good to hear they worked for you. Are you still smoke-free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Yes, still smoke free :) Just past the two year mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

That's brilliant! Well done! :D

After many failed attempts I managed to stop smoking using the Allen Carr book back when the smoking ban was introduced, I couldn't face the pub without fags and couldn't give up the pub so I gave up the fags!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

hi all i have been on champix now for almost two weeks now. I have had half a smoke when i got up and none since. smoke free all day (May1st)

I have had a craving for a smoke it lasted about an hour and it went away.

I gave up smokiing last year of them for 6 months the patches never stay on my arm they would fall off, and went back on them.
    and years ago to many to remember when but i was of them for 2 years.
    #
    This has to be the last time

• Advertisement
Advertisement