Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash on the Quay at 6p.m. last night

• 25-04-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened. Happened down on the quay between Shaws & Centra.

It was a yellow Celica and a newish Opel Astra... The only reason I'm asking is that they bought had frontal damage and I can't figure out how it happened?

Surely someone couldn't be that bad a driver to go head on to someone in slow moving traffic on the quay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Nothing would surprise me in this country. For example you have idiots who go the wrong way around a roundabout and also those who go the wrong way on a motorway/dual carriageway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doesn't surprise me its around Centra, the amount of muppets that double park or just pull out without looking in and around Centra is just insane.

Gardai should really clamp down on the crap that is caused by people going in and out of Centra without due care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Gardai should really clamp down on the crap that is caused by people going in and out of Centra without due care.

The Gardai do it too:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The quay is very dangerous to drive and its shocking that no major accident has happened yet. Its also a bit of a shock the council have not made it an issue to address.

You get a lot of cars just parking in one of the driving lanes with the hazzard lights on, blocking a whole lane of traffic. Not just outside Centra and the Chemist either. I usually try to park in a way that does not block up traffic. You also have cars trying to make it onto the quay from side streets. They are forced to edge out because 1) They have no visibility due to the parking spaces on their right, and 2) A lot of drivers simply refuse to slow down and leave them out.

I received a fine from a passing Guard because half my car was on double yellows. It was a day or two after Christmas Day, all shops were closed (I was picking up flowers for a grave from a florist was was doing me a favour) and there was hardly any traffic. Yet on a busy day the guards walk/drive past and say nothing to several cars parked in worse situations then myself? I cant get over that, doesnt make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The left lane is the one I need to use to cross the bridge, but I don't move into it until after Centra (or Dooley's if there's a badly parked coach outside) because there's just no point. I'd have to keep going back to the right lane to get past cars. It's practically a single lane street for much of the length until you get to there, with the left lane being a car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Man the buses that stop there above the clock tower lights (on both sides) at times are a law unto themselves also, double parked, swing out in front of ya etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Junior wrote: »
    Man the buses that stop there above the clock tower lights (on both sides) at times are a law unto themselves also, double parked, swing out in front of ya etc

I often get the bus there and the Bus Eireann buses usually park pretty well, but other bus company's arrive and just plonk down with no regard to the next bus which then has to double park. For example, you will have the WIT bus, Ardkeen bus, another company badly parked, Tramore arrives and cant fit anywhere so must double park while passengers board. You also get cars etc. parked there - while some buses will drive up and beep until they leave others dont.

In fact, in one case on the opposite side to the clock tower the bus pulled in and a taxi was in the middle of his area. He kept at him until the taxi pulled on, a little bit at a time, allowing the bus to move in. Really annoyed the driver who was baffled since there is a rank just above the bus slot. Turns out he was taking a fare from the shop, was just laughing when I walked past him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The other problem with the Quay is that it's like a bloody racetrack at times. Try going at the speed limit down there and watch car after car overtake you. While I might break the speed limit on the open road or through little deserted villages, I always stick to 50 km/h tops on the Quay - there are just too many people around.

I saw the incident the other evening, and the severity of the damage indicated that speed was probably a factor. If everybody had been going at the limit, I reckon they'd have had time to react to whatever was happening.

I know it's a national primary route, but measures to slow down the traffic are necessary now.

Advertisement