Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsafe Electrical Plugs

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all

I'd appreciate some help with this one please.

I have reported a shop in Dublin ciry centre to the Gardai
    and the FIre Brigade for selling unsafe electrical plugs.
    But as we all know the Dublin Gardai have their hands full with bigger problems

These plugs let you adapt foreign plugs to Irish sockets.

They do not have the CE mark or the British Kite Mark.

Pictures are attached below.

Most importantly the device has no internal fuse.

I have seen these in operation and they are leathal - sparks
    literaly coming out of them and the casing gets incredibly hot.

Does anyone know how to get the shop stopped from selling these
    dangerous items. Who can we report this to for action to be taken?

Thanks

sku_2709_4.jpg

sku_2709_3.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

From my small knowledge of electrical safety, it is the appliance that must have the safety features - an adaptor simply allows a certified appliance to fit into the relevant socket. - It is the responsibilty of the person to know that the appliance is suitable for the voltage.

Sparks will fly if you plug a USA voltage item into a Irish voltage socket without a voltage adaptor. Whether the adaptor has a CE mark or not - However most everyday items are suitable for both voltages.

As for the Gardai / Fire Brigade - it is outside their remit and they would have no authority to investigate unless you could prove it was an illegal product. (which this is not) - The people you would need to report to if there was an issue would be the HSA. http://www.hsa.ie/eng/ or consumer connect http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

I use something very similar to this adaptor for an american product I have and I have no issue with it - it was purchased in a respected electrical wholesalers in Newbridge.

From CE Directive information -

There is no comprehensive list of the products that require a CE marking. Therefore, it is the manufacturer's responsibility to determine if a product requires a CE marking.

EQUIPMENT AND PHENOMENA OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THE DIRECTIVE
    Electrical equipment for use in an explosive atmosphere
    Electrical equipment for radiology and medical purposes
    Electrical parts for goods and passenger lifts
    Electricity meters
    Plugs and socket outlets for domestic use
    Electric fence controllers
    Radio-electrical interference
    Specialized electrical equipment, for use on ships, aircraft or railways, which complies with the safety provisions drawn up by international bodies in which the Member States participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sorry OP, agree with darc.
    It don't see the issue here, the device or appliance you would plug this into would have it own internal or plug fuse in its original plug socket design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 droghorn

So it is safe then?

It seems I was wrong?

How do you know if it is an illegal product?

I mean it doesn't come in a box with details of the manufacturer, or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

It doesn't need to - the retailer is held responsible for product sold in his / her store.

If you used a product and it developed / caused a fault, then your complaint and any recompense is with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I got one of these adapters with my Jap import PSP, I have it 4 years now and never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As long as the device will happily take 230 V, 50 Hz supply there'll be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Red Alert wrote: »
    As long as the device will happily take 230 V, 50 Hz supply there'll be no problem.

There is no CE mark.

There are no shutters to cover the pins of the plug
    going in to the device, so you can see the sparks
    when you insert a plug.

There is no internal fuse.

They get very hot when in use for extended periods.

They can't be safe.

I've reported them to the National Consumer Agency as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Red Alert wrote: »
    Don't forget the current! The max household is 13A, most of these devices are only rated to 3A or so. You can have poor connections between the adaptors connections and your plugs pins, which can cause overheating at high currents.
    There is no CE mark.
    CE stickers are very cheap, seriously, counterfeit stuff is out there.

There are no shutters to cover the pins of the plug
    going in to the device, so you can see the sparks
    when you insert a plug.
    DO NOT plug the device into the adaptor like that. ALWAYS plug the device into the adaptor and THEN plug it in. As there are no shutters you should always unplug the adaptor if there is nothing in it.
    There is no internal fuse.
    No real need as mentioned, your own plug or device should have a fuse.
    They get very hot when in use for extended periods.
    What are you plugging into it? do you know the power rating, and is there a power rating on the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

who's the OP .. droghorn or barneysplash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

4. A person shall not manufacture, assemble, store, supply, offer to supply or exhibit any—

(a) socket-outlet including a socket-outlet complying with the provisions of the Industrial Research and Standards Act (Section 44) (Electrical Mains Socket-Outlets) Order, 1973 ( S.I. No. 322 of 1973 ), or

(b) plug which is intended for insertion into a socket-outlet of a type specified in paragraph (a) of this Regulation, or

(c) adaptor, plug-similar device or any device incorporating a socket-outlet, unless—

(i) such socket-outlet complies with the provisions of I.S. 411:1997 safety requirements for 13 A switched and unswitched socket-outlets, or

(ii) such plug complies with the provisions of I.S./EN 50075, or

(iii) such adaptor complies with the provisions of I.S. 421:1977 safety requirement for Adaptors for 13A Plugs and sockets,

or

(iv) such socket-outlet, plug, plug-similar device or device incorporating a socket-outlet complies with the safety requirements set out in the Second Schedule to these Regulations,

or

(v) such manufacturer, assembler or seller can show that such socket-outlet, plug or plug-similar device complies with the provisions of the standards specified in column (2) of the Table to this Regulation opposite the mention of the socket-outlet, plug and plug-similar device in column (1) of the said Table.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0526.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement