Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Console - PS3 or XBox?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Want to buy my first console.
    There's ahuge difference in the price between PS3 and XBox.
    Don't care o much about the Blueray as all I own are DVDs and I don't have HDTV. Am in to my movies so will probably buy a dedicated Blueray player when the need arises.
    Is there a huge difference in the quality of gaming between PS3 and Xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Not as far I am aware. Xbox people will tell you that their box is the best, PS3 that their. I wouldn't say there is huge difference.
    Few games are different, available specifically for xbox only or ps3 only.
    If you're price concerned take the xbox. The newest revision meant to be more reliable, but hey, ps3 has their own problems as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Moved to games forum. No point in putting it in the console specific forums. The fanboys will have a field day on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Moved to games forum. No point in putting it in the console specific forums. The fanboys will have a field day on this.

PS3 has never had a serious problem faultwise, 360 is said to be much more reliable these days.

Wouldn't let it influence your decision these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Spins wrote: »
    Is there a huge difference in the quality of gaming between PS3 and Xbox?
    Probably not, but you should give us some more information about what you're looking for.

What kind of games do you like? The Xbox 360 and PS3 have exclusive games that cannot be played on any other system so you should be aware of those games, i.e. Halo 3 and Fable 2 on 360, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Killzone 2 on PS3 etc.

What consoles do your friends have? Will you be playing online? If you are going online be aware of the charges that will be involved on the 360.

If price is the determining factor for you, get a 360. Just be careful of the added extras that you may have to buy for the 360, e.g. it has no in built WiFi so if you want to go online with it at all you should hook it up via ethernet to save yourself having to buy the WiFi adapter for it. The WiFi adapter is kind of expensive. In fact I think that this is the downside of the 360 for me, a lot of the things that I would like to see in the box have to be bought as added extras, like playing online and the play and charge kits. However, you may not need any of the extras, so the 360 will be the cheapest option. The 360 can be very noisy, but you can avoid this buy installing games to the hard drive, so make sure if you get a 360 you get a 60-120GB hard drive for it. A game generally takes up about 6-8GB, sometimes more.

Do you just want your console for gaming, or do you want it to double as a media centre etc? I find the PS3 much better in this respect, as you can copy music and video onto the PS3 hard drive, but the 360 does not let you do this. You can play stuff directly off a removable hard drive with the PS3 and 360 though (just make sure it's the right file type).

If you're looking to get a BluRay player in the future, maybe you should get a 360 now and then a PS3 later? The PS3 is still the benchmark player for a lot of reviewers so it's still one of the best out there. If you're waiting until you're ready to go HD, the PS3 will have gone down in price then as well.

I would recommend however that you wait a few weeks before you purchase anything. The e3 gaming conference is being held at the beginning of June, so any price cuts or new features that may be heading to the consoles are likely to be announced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking as someone who owns both consoles, I would pick the 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Stephen wrote: »

Friend of mine has both and says PS3, but there you go.

PS3 Price-cut coming up soon right?
    The 360 could very well see a cut too, it's a good time to be thinking about buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you don't care about blu-ray get an xbox. Better exclusives and a much cheaper price and both consoles are comparable performance wise with the 360 being slightly better usually in multiformat games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'd say go with the 360. It's cheaper right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I own both and i prefer the PS3 if your playing offline and the 360 online. But a positive for the PS is that you dont have to pay for the PS Network as opposed to live

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If Bluray is of no concern then just buy a 360, they are at near pocket money prices now and the range of cheap yet good games is great.
    The online thing is cool too, but if thats not your thing either, you can save even more by getting one sans harddrive, and then just buy one cheap 2nd hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

I own both and would prob go for the PS3...........

Saying that I bought Left 4 Dead last week and it is fantastic!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I would go with a PS3.

The xbox 720 is coming out next year, then the 360 will be worthless as microsoft will just forget about it, just like the original.

The PS3 will last a good few years, I recall reading in a magazine it was lasting until 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Awful lot of conjecture and gibberish in that post, CutzEr

You can't go wrong with either. My 360 gets a lot more use than my PS3, but I like playing FPS's online, and it seems to cater to that more/better, in my opinion.
    Check out metacritic or gamerankings for which games are out on both platforms (and how they rate). Also, if you already have friends with one or the other that you can play online with, that may also affect your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

branners69 wrote: »
    +1

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CUTZER your full of it!

the xbox360 will run as long if not longer than ps3 and there is no talk of a 720 thats just stupid talk!

what i will say is i have both and the wii and in my honest opinion the 360 is far better than wii or ps3! so in short buy a 360!

PS BTW people saying ps3 has no faults yes it does the blue ray players have a habit of going so i wouldnt be influenced by half the fools talking jibberish! and i have never had a problem with my 360 :) in short ps3 sucks lol but i wont sell it as killzone and resistance 2 are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

CutzEr wrote: »
    The PS3 will last a good few years, I recall reading in a magazine it was lasting until 2015.

That was probably the recession you were reading about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

+1 for the 360
    I had to chose to bring either my 360 or PS3 with me when I emigrated, and am glad that I eventually chose the 360.

Having said that, the piece of crap got the RROD thanks to the last update, so meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

a,gjfvlhdbsvklsnd

Are we really that old that someones first console is a 360/ps3? My god man.

No. Sir, I think what you need to do, is go on ebay or find yourself one of those really backwater shoppes and buy yourself a SNES or something. They got that crazy new aftermarket S/NES out there. One of them even does Megadrive to boot. Get yourself some old school cartridges and just go nuts.

Legend of Zelda on a cheap plastic controller and 42" Widescreen - that was the dream man.

Actually does anyone remember when you were a kid and if you saw a TV would instantly think "Wow, Sonic would look HUGE on that."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

360 FTW!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Okay.. this is simple OP.

Buy an Atari Jaguar

**** it! If we aren't going to be balanced here then buy a PS3!

Better built, blu ray, plays umpteen media files, has an excellent catelogue of games (wouldn't say it is bigger than the 360's anymore but its not like you will be short of choice), will work out cheaper when you don't have to buy your controller battery pack, Wi Fi dongle and 50e a year Live subscription.

Future exlcusives line-up looks better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Overheal wrote: »

Are we really that old that someones first console is a 360/ps3? My god man.

I have to say I thought the same, I remember my first console as such which had a Pong and a shooting game! It was only black & white which was lucky as I played it on a 14" black and white portable for hours!

I now play pc, xbox 360, ps3 and wii on a 92" full hd projector with surround sound, just a wee bit of an improvement!

I had, well found in a Grandmother's shed, an old black retangle with two knobs thats played pong in black and white.

When my communion came about though I stopped living in the stone age and got me a C64. Free games every week with Commodore Force/ZAPP 64 magazine! Magic!

branners69 wrote: »
    I have to say I thought the same, I remember my first console as such which had a Pong and a shooting game! It was only black & white which was lucky as I played it on a 14" black and white portable for hours!

I now play pc, xbox 360, ps3 and wii on a 92" full hd projector with surround sound, just a wee bit of an improvement!
    How Tall is Sonic Now :eek::eek:

noodler did you just say better built? LOL the ps3 is not well built! and BTW the only version of a ps3 i would buy is the 60gb version and you cant buy it anymore becuse ps3 are trying to save money so if you buy a ps3 your buying a console that is covered in costsaving so quality now is poor, i know noodler i have both consoles and my loyalty lies with xbox! also xbox exclusives are awesome gears of war franchise, halo franchise also xbox controller fits into your hands better as sony make a controller for asian market ie small hands etc while xbox controller suits westerners hands better! believe me, xbox kid you will not be disappointed!

BTW the guys here have a point maybe you should look at a retro console maybe snes or megadrive hours of fun believe me!

branners 92 inch projector???????????????

never mind sonic, imagine how big bowser is now lol?

IM SCARED BRRRRRRRRRRRRR;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy 1916

ps3 is cheaper in the long trem..and most people r starting 2 sell there xbox and buy a ps3

TERM paddy not trem lol and its not cheaper on average games are more expensive also i heard ps are going to have to start charging for live service and its a bad service so thats not good! they cant keep running it for free remember RECESSION LOL:eek:

• Advertisement

I disapprove of that alright... but its still rumour correct? Lets not jump the gun.

Advertisement