Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double DNA kit

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Can anyone fill me in on this? Mum isn't DNA so when i'm registering the foal what do I need?

And to DNA them can i do it or does a vet have to?

Cheers

Wicked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

The idea of DNA typing a foal is to confirm both parents so they can be named in the foal's registration papers. If you don't know the breeding of either sire or dam, you can still register a foal in its own right, without any DNA information.

The foal registration kit you were sent out by the IHR will contain a markings record sheet, plus bags to put in hair samples of the mare & foal. The foal's markings must be taken by a vet, who also microchips the foal at the same visit, and adds the microchip number to the markings chart. They'll then pull about twenty hairs (with root) from the foal's and mare's tails and include them in the bags provided. These get put in an envelope marked for Weatherby's and go off to be DNA tested. In the meantime, you fill in the presonal details and send off the markings chart to the IRish Horse Register. When they get parentage confirmed by Weatherby's, they add it to your foal's passport and send you out the book.

You can register the foal in the Supplementary Register with no breeding (white book), or only one parent's breeding (blue book) recorded. However many parents are to appear in the passport, the markings chart you must send in for the animal has to be completed by a vet.

If your mare's breeding isn't recorded, and you want the dam's breeding to appear on the foal's paperwork, you have to get a separate kit for the dam and DNA test her for her sire and dam (if that dam isn't registered, you can still get part papers based on matching her to the sire). You'll need the permission of your mare's dam's owner to bring a vet out to carry out the marking & taking of DNA - expense extra visits, and unless the granddam of your foal produced international performers or was one herself, it's not likely to be of any interest to anyone except yourself, and will not add any value to the foal.

HTH
    Chindato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Cheers for that

The mare has a green book and the sire is registered but i don't think the mare is DNA. so thats why i think i need a double kit.

its expense but i think its worth it nowadays.. in my experience people tend to frown at white books as if the horse is useless when usually it is the opposite.

some of the best horses have no breeding recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

If the dam is already registered (with any colour book!), then you don't need a second kit.

When the IHR sends out the foal registration kit, it will contain bags for tail hairs from both the foal and the dam. This enables them to confirm that your mare is the dam of that foal. As your mare has a green book, (and assuming this is also the case for the sire), the foal will be entitled to a green book also.

HTH
    Chindato

Advertisement