Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour Of Sligo

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Right, whos doing it, have seen plenty of you cyclists out there over the last few weeks, so at least a few of ye's should be signed up. There are three routes available which should cover most levels of cycling ability, a 10, 60 and 160km one. All happening on Sunday May 10th.

Have signed up my self for the 60km route which takes you around Lough Gill going through Dromahaire, Ballintogher, and Drumiskabole. Then heading along the foothills of Knocknarea Mountains, Culleenamore and skirting the village of Strandhill. Finishing off with views of Coney Island and Ben Bulben on the way back into Sligo along the coast.

Have my pack, which includs the map and route notes for the realavent course you are signed up, very usefull so you can see the route and train on all of it or sections if you so wish before the day its self.

Tour of Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I haven't signed up yet for any of them but my friends is trying to get me to do the 160km as she wants to do that one but I'm trying to get her to do the 60km route.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

you would want to be very very fit for the 160km, if it was in another 6 months i might have considered it, biggest distance/event i have ever done is about 110km, and even though done it several times before still find it tough each time i do it

of the 3 events the 60km one will do me

Whats the distance from Longford - Sligo? That's the biggest I've done. Ah my friend who wants to do the 160km is super fit and she cycles everywhere The once cycled to college in Galway on a Sunday and cycled back on Friday for the craic:confused: Beats me how that's fun.

a quick serch on google maps gives it as 88.9km

;)

bobcar61 wrote: »
    The once cycled to college in Galway on a Sunday and cycled back on Friday for the craic:confused: Beats me how that's fun.

plannng something similar in the coming weeks, cycling the 70kms home for the weekend before cycling back a few days later, training for a 86km cycle in a couple of months time

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    a quick serch on google maps gives it as 88.9km

;)

Oh I might just do this 60km cycle so. Coming up over the curlews at Boyle was a b1tch but apart from that it was relatively flat from Longford.

Hope I can get the time off work for it..

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Oh I might just do this 60km cycle so. Coming up over the curlews at Boyle was a b1tch but apart from that it was relatively flat from Longford.

Hope I can get the time off work for it..

get signed up because the registration fee goes up the few days - week before the event,

;)

as for the time off you should only need the morning off, the 60km run starts at 9am

:D

60km run is not that hilly, a few short climbs, highest point is only about 60m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is anyone doing a 6km tour? I'm feeling very lazy.

Is anyone doing a 6km tour? I'm feeling very lazy.

theres a 10km one, you could do just over half of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

get signed up because the registration fee goes up the few days - week before the event,

;)

as for the time off you should only need the morning off, the 60km run starts at 9am

60km run is not that hilly, a few short climbs, highest point is only about 60m

Why in the world would you have to pay a registration fee to cycle your own bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Why in the world would you have to pay a registration fee to cycle your own bike?

They may have check stops with water and snacks, a lot of organized bike tours do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Xiney wrote: »
    They may have check stops with water and snacks, a lot of organized bike tours do.

They have water stops alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »

Makes sense now, thanks

Big_Mac wrote: »

to cover for such services as already explained like water/refreshment stops, use of facilities, ie shower and changing after wards, the marchels, admin, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

to cover for such services as already explained like water/refreshment stops, use of facilities, ie shower and changing after wards, the marchels, admin, etc

Signs;)

Culchie wrote: »
    Signs;)

of course, we need to know which way to go, silly me

any more of ye's signed up, i know theres cyclists in sligo, i met about a dozen of ya's saturday morning on the road

I saw a few people cycing the road from Ballisodare to Strandhill going through Ransboro on Sunday evening.Thought it was a bit oss as you never see people cycling in Sligo but then it dawned on me that it was probably for the Tour Of Sligo.

that would be part of the 60km route, might even be part of the 160km route as well

Advertisement