Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many money from the Volvo ocean race.

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Helllo,
    How much money is the volvo ocean race suppose to bring to the galway? The only people i see making money is the pubs and hotels who are rich anyway. I can not see long term employment out of this.

What are they putting down instead of the oil tankers?

Galway traffic will be at a stand still for those 2 weeks. Have they any plans on how they are going to handle that?

Comments

i'd rather suffer through the traffic, let publicans get rich and have the oil tanks gone than have none of it..

galway needs something to happen to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

i'd rather suffer through the traffic, let publicans get rich and have the oil tanks gone than have none of it..

galway needs something to happen to it.

a meteor strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

pffft, galway already has something. ME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

evoke wrote: »
    Helllo,
    How much money is the volvo ocean race suppose to bring to the galway? The only people i see making money is the pubs and hotels who are rich anyway. I can not see long term employment out of this.

What are they putting down instead of the oil tankers?

Galway traffic will be at a stand still for those 2 weeks. Have they any plans on how they are going to handle that?

Em, the pubs and hotels will employ more people - visitors to galway will spend money when here, not just in pubs, restaurants & Hotels but in local shops (hairdressers, gift shops etc..) and on local services (taxis, b&b's etc..) also. Its a major boost to the local economy IMO.

Thats not to mention the fact that the Volvo Ocean Race will highlight Galway as a global tourist destination - essentially putting the city on the map (just look at the other stopover cities - St. Petersburg, Singapore, Boston etc...) The long term effect has the potential to be great for Galway!!

To be honest, i cant see a bad side and so be it if pubs and hotels make money - i am looking forward to it and hope that the stopover is a major success and becomes a regular occurence..

snubbleste wrote: »
    a meteor strike?

i just happened to have that open.. would be perfect for galway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

evoke wrote: »

The Galway Indo said park-n-ride from Ballybrit for E2/day.

JustMary wrote: »
    The Galway Indo said park-n-ride from Ballybrit for E2/day.

shít, i work in parkmore :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sponge Bob wrote: »

22 nights at €3,764.00. That's €171 per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

bah, tourism who needs it? sure while we're at it shut down the arts festival and cancel the races.....

or maybe just get a bike and cycle to work, galway aint that big really:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And ... Galway Bay taking it even further!

I didn't realise that Amber Hill was a hotel ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

shít, i work in parkmore :(
    Same as myself, I feel your pain!

And OP there is a hundred different ways it benefits Galway sit down and think about it for 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

# Over 300,000 are expected to arrive in Galway over the course of Volvo Ocean Race two-week stay in the city.
    # The event has a worldwide audience of 1.8 billion and is expected to generate revenue of up to €100 million in Galway when it arrives.

Source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JustMary wrote: »
    And ... Galway Bay taking it even further!

Christ :eek: . The Twelve in barna is not far behind them either .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

How many people are there in galway city? How many people usually come to galway during race week?

I am just wondering the impact it will have on galway compared to the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

cooperguy wrote: »
    Same as myself, I feel your pain!

And OP there is a hundred different ways it benefits Galway sit down and think about it for 5 seconds.

Even better the GMIT Exams are starting in the Racecourse that week......

It's going to be F**king mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

My mates are facepainters and childrens entertainers and they've gotten some work through it. It's a real shot in the arm for them.

If the weathers fine we should be able to walk or cycle to work (for those of us who are too soft to do it all year hail rain or shine)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Can you imagine heading out on a night out and there being a crowd around town? And queuing to get a taxi home? It'll be like 2007 all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I personally think it's a bit overhyped, but I'll stand corrected if the hype turns out to be justified.

I just wonder of all the people I've heard, on boards and IRL, who claim that it'll 'put galway on the map' so to speak, have ever dreamed of visiting any other city that hosted a volvo race stopover, either because it hosted the stopover, or they'd only heard of that city through the race.

Maybe it'll bring some boat buffs in, it will probably bring people from Ireland, probably some from the UK. But I can't see it being worth much more to Galway than just the week that's in it, like a (hopefully) bigger version of Race Week really.

Still, I'm looking forward to the events, hopefully it'll be good fun for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I personally think it's a bit overhyped, but I'll stand corrected if the hype turns out to be justified.

I just wonder of all the people I've heard, on boards and IRL, who claim that it'll 'put galway on the map' so to speak, have ever dreamed of visiting any other city that hosted a volvo race stopover, either because it hosted the stopover, or they'd only heard of that city through the race.

Maybe it'll bring some boat buffs in, it will probably bring people from Ireland, probably some from the UK. But I can't see it being worth much more to Galway than just the week that's in it, like a (hopefully) bigger version of Race Week really.

Still, I'm looking forward to the events, hopefully it'll be good fun for the week.

I see where you're coming from but I have a more optimistic view of things. As you say it'll be a bit like raceweek, but I reckon sailing buffs have at least as much money as horse buffs and are better behaved ;) It will draw a lot of families too, bringing the kids to see the boats. And if it goes well its something Galway can point to as a success story in future years, proving that the town can throw a good party for such an event.

I'm skeptical about "putting galway on the map" alright though, its not something that's gonna be hugely memorable for TV viewers I reckon. The organisers' claim that it draws a global audience of 1.8 billion seems a bit outlandish, but even if 1% of that figure saw a few shots of Galway on TV and got a good impression of it, it would be very good for the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement