Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covered yard

• 25-04-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

We are considering covering over our yard area with a glass roof extending from our house to a row of outhouses. This area will be fully enclosed i.e. with walls on all four sides. we would still treat this area as an outdoor space and would be unheated but would a ber assessor treat it likewise? If not I would imagine an unheated glassroofed space (25sqm) would have quite an impact on any assessment. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭brianmacl

We are considering covering over our yard area with a glass roof extending from our house to a row of outhouses. This area will be fully enclosed i.e. with walls on all four sides. we would still treat this area as an outdoor space and would be unheated but would a ber assessor treat it likewise? If not I would imagine an unheated glassroofed space (25sqm) would have quite an impact on any assessment. Thanks

I would suggest that once it remains unheated it becomes an unheated adjacent space this would allow the assessor improve the U value of the wass that touches the unheated space. this would in turn improve your BER, ut it probably would not have a massive effect unless it is a large space and hence the amount of wall space is great. if you were to heat this space this would be a different story

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

brianmacl wrote: »
    I would suggest that once it remains unheated it becomes an unheated adjacent space this would allow the assessor improve the U value of the wass that touches the unheated space. this would in turn improve your BER, ut it probably would not have a massive effect unless it is a large space and hence the amount of wall space is great. if you were to heat this space this would be a different story

not necessarily...

DEAP manual requires the inclusion of such spaces, whether heated or not, if they are used as utility or storage areas, once accessible directly from the dwelling....

but perversely, if the area is a garage and is thermally separated and not heated, its not included.....

so basically, the use of the area is supposed to make a dramatic difference to the energy demand !?!?!?!?!

makes no sense at all to me....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    not necessarily...

DEAP manual requires the inclusion of such spaces, whether heated or not, if they are used as utility or storage areas, once accessible directly from the dwelling....

but perversely, if the area is a garage and is thermally separated and not heated, its not included.....

so basically, the use of the area is supposed to make a dramatic difference to the energy demand !?!?!?!?!

makes no sense at all to me....

conservatory?

conservatory?

where?

where?
    can't type... baby asleep on chest..... conservatories and porches under 2 m sq can be counted as adjacent un heated space. a whinter garden/ covered courtyard would surely be the same

• Advertisement

can't type... baby asleep on chest..... conservatories and porches under 2 m sq can be counted as adjacent un heated space. a whinter garden/ covered courtyard would surely be the same

completely agree...

my point, if a bit facetious, was that the stated use makes a huge difference to how its treated in DEAP....

I cannot understand why theres simply not a universal "thermally separated and not heated" rule for these spaces to be treated as unheated spaces....

for example if an assessor visited this house and there was a chest freezer and a tumble dryer in this space.. does this automatically make it a utility??

completely agree...

my point, if a bit facetious, was that the stated use makes a huge difference to how its treated in DEAP....

I cannot understand why theres simply not a universal "thermally separated and not heated" rule for these spaces to be treated as unheated spaces....

for example if an assessor visited this house and there was a chest freezer and a tumble dryer in this space.. does this automatically make it a utility??

there are loads of examples of this ....
    is a hall circulation space if there is a suite of furniture in it.... this was a case i found relating to daught lobbies which must open into circulation space
    is a fire place to be counted if a person screws a wood bord over the front of it.... I looked at a new detached house that achieved a C rating with a fire place and a B rating without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

conservatory?
    I don't think the usage of the unheated area comes into it, the word accessible is a bit vague but here it means to be not separated by an external grade door.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I know this is an old thread, but our query relates to putting a glass roof over a court yard that is approx. 4m x 2.5. I find that the space is never used but if we had a glass roof over to protect from the rain that it would get more use. Planning to leave it open at boundary wall locations using high garden trellising to bring up to a suitable height of approx. 3m. Rainwater from glass will collect to planters. House drainage will not be touched. The yard is just cement, so plan to put loose stone on the ground and it will become kind of an outside dining area or reading area or sheltered garden area. The space is so small that it is wasted, but would like to put it to better use......any other ideas welcome.

James 007 wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but our query relates to putting a glass roof over a court yard that is approx. 4m x 2.5. I find that the space is never used but if we had a glass roof over to protect from the rain that it would get more use. Planning to leave it open at boundary wall locations using high garden trellising to bring up to a suitable height of approx. 3m. Rainwater from glass will collect to planters. House drainage will not be touched. The yard is just cement, so plan to put loose stone on the ground and it will become kind of an outside dining area or reading area or sheltered garden area. The space is so small that it is wasted, but would like to put it to better use......any other ideas welcome.

I am looking to do something like this https://www.google.ie/search?q=outdoor+yard+with+glass+covering+from+rain&biw=1366&bih=623&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9u6W0-abSAhXSFsAKHWuqBOAQsAQIJQ#imgrc=NtUhNNYRC8fLNM:

Any thoughts welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Very nice, but I think you're in the wrong forum. Its still an outdoor area, so it has zero relevance to BER, AFAIK. Try posting it in the gardening forum.

recedite wrote: »
    Very nice, but I think you're in the wrong forum. Its still an outdoor area, so it has zero relevance to BER, AFAIK. Try posting it in the gardening forum.

Done, I have posted it in the construction forum, hope this is fined with Mods, thanks for highlighting it.

Advertisement