Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance on 1.6 Ford Focus - first time driver, provisional

• 25-04-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Not sure if you can help me with this at all. Basically, my mother bought a new car recently, and gave me her 01 Ford Focus (1.6L). Im 32, but have never driven before, am on 1st provisional with no previous named driving experience, and cant seem to get a quote off anyone.

Its so bloody frustrating, all the website comparisons Ive looked at require you to have previous named driving experience, and any place Ive rang up have assumed this as well.

Has anyone come across a decent quote for the above criteria?

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Very hard to get a reliable quote off the online places

Just get out the golden pages and ring all the insurance places, and the brokers too. Someone will insure you, but at what price, i dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Try www.123.ie They tend to be fairly cheap and you should be able to get a quote online within a couple of mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

quinn will give you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago and I went with www.insure.ie. At 32 years of age, you should be able to get a quote.

I've renewed with them every year since as they've been consistently cheaper than everywhere else.

BTW, I think that insurance companies have to quote you, so ring up and ask for a verbal quote. Of course, they can make it prohibitively expensive, but they still have to give you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Plug wrote: »
    quinn will give you one.

Never a truer word said....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I started driving at 19 and quinn would quote me online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Done a quote for ya there.

For tpf&t its:

This quote is valid until the end of 04/06/2009 and is inclusive of the relevant government levy/insurance premium tax. Annual Payment: €1,622.17

Or fully comp is

Annual Payment: €2,585.43

That was with quinn and I put in you were 32, no exp, living in Dublin 7, prov licence for 0 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about online quotes OP, they are designed with quoting low risk profiles in mind. As you have zero driving experience you don't fall into there equations. You need to go to the goldenpages and ring every insurance company in there for quotes.

Also remember to make a note of what is covered under each policy. The cheapest quote can sometimes be a false economy especially around things like windscreen cover, etc. For example you might save €50 by not opting for windscreen cover on the policy. But if you get a stone chip and need to replace the windscreen it can cost you a couple of hundred euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Thanks folks for all the replies. Went with insure.ie in the end, very good quote, 1500 for the year.

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 talkFIAT.net

has everyones insurance gone up this year or just mine? The cheapest I could get was online with Quinn! Most quotes were up 10-25% on my premium last year :eek::eek:, I couldn't believe it but Quinns quote was practically the same as last year!! When asked about why my quotes had all gone up companies said there was a general increase in insurance!!:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

has everyones insurance gone up this year or just mine? The cheapest I could get was online with Quinn! Most quotes were up 10-25% on my premium last year :eek::eek:, I couldn't believe it but Quinns quote was practically the same as last year!! When asked about why my quotes had all gone up companies said there was a general increase in insurance!!:(:(:(

Yeh, insurance companies work with alot of investments, the stock market has gone hugely done so the companies have to make up the money some place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My insurance went for €660 last year to €780 this year with Quinn and in the preceding meantime I was crashed into and they have jacked it up to €1050 in the interim until I am deemed innocent in the incident. Quinn are the Ryanair of Car Insurance and I am leaving them once I am cleared in the tip (as I have decided to lye to my own loss) as the respray and touchup will cost less than the €250 excess.

Insurance is up 10% this year due to the depression and the fact that Car Dealers around Ireland have set fire to a sh1t load of cars and vans and claimed off the Insurance as they went out of business and could not sell their stock. Insurance should be going down as the mental poles are going home and their are less deaths of the roads also.

It will be like before where "oh premiums are rising because of 9/11 Bullcrap" that we heard up until 2005 or 06 almost.

I am 22 with a 1.6 on a named driver basis with a clean full Irish licence and two and half years driving experience named on the policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Can you lay off the generalisations there whizkidd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jebus. I just got an online quote from Quinn for a '01 1L Micra, provisional, no experience, 29 years old. €1951.45 :eek:

Pibasure quoted me €1500. But the day before that they quoted me €1250 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 finishedart

dudara wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago and I went with www.insure.ie. At 32 years of age, you should be able to get a quote.

I've renewed with them every year since as they've been consistently cheaper than everywhere else.

BTW, I think that insurance companies have to quote you, so ring up and ask for a verbal quote. Of course, they can make it prohibitively expensive, but they still have to give you one.

They're not the cheapest by a long shot. I got a renewal for a 3l MPV last month for comprehensive for €530. I checked 123.ie and, hey presto, got better cover for €380. :cool:

Advertisement