Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Tank,beginner.

Options
  • 25-04-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a fish tank off a pal(empty) who dident want it anymore.1mtr long/half mtr width.
    I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good book for a beginner and any advice would be great,I havent got a notion about tank or fish but am very interested in learning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Don't know any books but three decent websites are........

Practical Fishkeeping

Irish Fish Forums

Irish Tropical Fish Society

You'll get plenty of ideas there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Thanks,will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi Holly1,

Welcome to the world of fish keeping ! :-) You'll see it's quite addictive.
    Patience is the key factor to this hobby - take your time and do plenty of research/reading :you will be fine.
    Plenty of information as mentioned on the websites mentioned above by Arcadian.
    If you need any info, don't hesitate to ask.
    Regards,

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Hi Holly1,
    Fair play to you for wanting to do some research. Assuming you are going to keep tropical fish (with heated water), as opposed to coldwater fish (goldfish), I have 2 books I would also strongly recommend, in addition to the websites already mentioned.

Here is the first one...http://www.eason.ie/look/9780007205783/Aquarium-Fish/Don-Harper

And when it comes time to setup the tank you will get great advice from this book...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUARIUM-DISPLAYS---Fish-Pets---Book-NEW_W0QQitemZ170324341679QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090423?IMSfp=TL090423133001r5983

The second book is more focused on the setup of the aquarium and what plants, decor, substrate and fish to include to make it look roughly like a specific habitat from nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

The most important thing, as mentioned by Valerie, is patience. If you rush things you will end up with lots of dead fish and a wrecked head.

Learn about the "Nitrogen Cycle", this is the fundemantal basis of a healthy aquarium along with proper fish husbandry/compatibility.

If you know anyone with an aquarium ask them for a slab of sponge from their filter. This will greatly speed up the "cycling" process. Anyway, what i've just written will look like gibberish until you read about the Nitrogen Cycle.

In laymans terms: Fish produce waste in the form of Ammonia. This is very toxic to fish. A healthy filter will convert Ammonia into Nitrite and then convert nitrite into Nitrate which is then diluted by frequent partial water changes.

If you need anymore info PM me your e-mail address and i'll send you loads of info compiled by the Leinster Fishkeeping society.

www.irishfishforum.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement