Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef jerky

• 25-04-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

ive searched boards and theres not much stuff on making it, im just wondering if anyone here makes it, im trying to make it myself for the first time to see if i can, i just bought about a 1lb sirloin steak and cut it into as even strips as i could and for the marinade i used

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    half table spoon chillie powder
    '' '' '' garlic powder
    and a full tablespoon of mixed herbs

im leaving it to marinade over night and tomorrow i will be putting it in the over for 6-8 hours on 150degrees C

it will probably taste horrible but if you dont try you wont know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

gino85 wrote: »
    im leaving it to marinade over night and tomorrow i will be putting it in the over for 6-8 hours on 150degrees C

holy mother of christ:eek: you should be shot for crimes against beef:D

6 to 8 hrs at 150 will make **** of your meat. and also how could there be a gap of 2hrs? even if your oven is fan assisted and i power mine with a smoke lighter it wouldn't give that much play in cooking times. find a better method online.

****ing americans bastardising perfectly good meat.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

holy mother of christ:eek: you should be shot for crimes against beef:D

6 to 8 hrs at 150 will make **** of your meat. find a better method online.

****ing americans bastardising perfectly good meat.:mad:

i have been looking online, most say 6 hours and some even suggest the temp as high 200degrees, chances are ill put it on the lowest setting, only reason im trying it because i have never tried it before, some say to check after 6 hours and if its not done to leave it in but to keep checking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

let me know how it turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

6-8 hours on 150degrees C

i have been looking online, most say 6 hours and some even suggest the temp as high 200degrees,
    I think you are mixing up Fahrenheit and Celsius!
    Most US recipes will use Fahrenheit, "cups" and lbs, they are still in the stoneage after all!

rubadub wrote: »
    I think you are mixing up Fahrenheit and Celsius!
    Most US recipes will use Fahrenheit, "cups" and lbs, they are still in the stoneage after all!

lol thanks for pointing that out, ill guess ill put it on at about 60-65degrees C

• Advertisement

ill guess ill put it on at about 60-65degrees C

Now it makes sense, ignore my previous post.;)

Now it makes sense, ignore my previous post.;)

you could have pointed it out that america uses Fahrenheit, sometimes i need things spelt out for me lol, ive been up all night and my brain aint firing on all cylinders atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hehe, I was getting a bit worried about 150 myself. Let us know how it works out OP, would be interested in giving it a go myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have made it quite a few times, My tip is to use silverside and stick it in the freezer until it is almost frozen, then with a very sharp knife cut it across the grain in 3mm slices. If it nearly frozen it is much easier to get a thin slice than at room temp.
    I use my fan oven on Fan only setting no heat and finish on a rack near the stove to completely dry out.
    Store them in the fridge with one of those dessicant sachets.

you could have pointed it out that america uses Fahrenheit, sometimes i need things spelt out for me lol, ive been up all night and my brain aint firing on all cylinders atm
    Didn't even click with me either, was too busy cussing the yanks:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

now the cooking temp is sorted, it sounds great.

I'd still say the temperature can't be too low but can be too high as it will cook the meat rather than dry it.

Then make some biltong!!

just finished it and i think its more cooked than dried, left it in the over at about 70 for 4hrs 20 mins with the door slightly ajar but my dad seems to like it lol although i found the flavor abit strong, it is chewy dry but it seems to moisten up while you are chewing it and since ive never had jerky before im not sure if thats how its supposed to be or not
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have made it quite a few times, My tip is to use silverside and stick it in the freezer until it is almost frozen, then with a very sharp knife cut it across the grain in 3mm slices. If it nearly frozen it is much easier to get a thin slice than at room temp.
    I use my fan oven on Fan only setting no heat and finish on a rack near the stove to completely dry out.
    Store them in the fridge with one of those dessicant sachets.

thanks for the tip, ill try to remember that in the future

Advertisement