Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did not want to start a new thread but....

Options
  • 25-04-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭

after checking the before you post a thread on helpdesk please check the newbies, faq,feedback forum helpdesk forum i could not find an answer.

i was curious why on the helpdesk thread posted by the loc it was stated that a person could not unsubscribe or their messges deleted forever.if the answer is comercialy sensitive, i understand.

the reason i needed to start a new thread is although the thread was not locked i was told i could not post on locs thread and various options were given as to why this may be,none of which i could be sure were the reason.i did navigate for about forty minuates for what reason it might be with no luck.

my question was to be why do boards.ie not allow people to unsubscribe and their postings will never be totally lost.to be clear about it it is a genuine friendly question.

i have not been given an infraction or a ban from any thread(or if i was was not told so onsite or by email:confused::confused:

also i know google etc and phone companies are obliged to keep records for a period of time by law(think its three years?)

would very much appreciate a clarification.
    regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hey ynotdu

I'm guessing that when you say that boards doesn't allow people to unsubscribe you mean that boards doesn't delete accounts or posts. We've got a subscribers system where people pay 50 euros a year to support the site and that's a different thing again.

The reason is pretty simple and it's nothing to do with legal requirements or anything like that. If we delete accounts and all posts made by those accounts, we're left with threads that make no sense at all, packed with anything up to thousands of conversations where one half of the conversation has gone completely missing.

The reason you couldn't post on The Loc's thread is that Help Desk is set up so that only the original poster, admins and relevant mods can reply on threads in Help Desk. It's to make it easier for people to get replies rather than have half the users on the site rushing in to add their view, as can happen on Feedback.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

thanks sceptre.clear succinct and to the point!

also you did give me a good laugh at the idea of missing posts on a thread as some threads already make me scratch my head trying to follow and thats without missing bits:D

have to say other posters in threads often accuse me of that(thats when they do understand what i mean but say i,m talkin through my ass:)

regards

Advertisement