Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 1300 gone slow

• 25-04-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey, I have my laptop for over two years and it has suddenly gotten very slow. It takes ages to start up.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of anyway to speed it up again.!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

* remove all unnecessary programs
    *remove all useless toolbars from firefox / explorer
    *install and run "speed up my pc" great program by uniblue
    *defragment the c drive
    *make sure you always have at least 20% free space on hard drive

should do the trick.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Run ccleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

I have had my Inspiron 1501 for one and a half years. Last week it started going very slowly. Slow to start, slow to shut down and freezing every now and then. I scanned for viruses using three different, well known virus detection softwares - all clear (phew). I checked for hijackers and spyware - all clear here also. I went to the Dell website and reinstalled all the hardware drivers for my machine - the problem was still there. After much head scratching and using tools such as DPC Latency Checker and Process Explorer, I narrowed it down to ACPI.SYS.
    It was only then that I remembered those messages flashing in the bottom right hand corner at bootup telling me that my one and a half year old battery needed replacement. Of course, I had ignored this and the message had eventually gone away. So, I removed the battery and the problem disappeared immediately!!!!
    So now, instead of removing the battery (it fell on my foot and provoked much bad language), I have disabled 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery' in Device Manager and all is well.

Perhaps this experience will be of use to others.

(sigh) Dell want Euro 145 for a replacement battery, I wonder if I can get a cheaper replacement on 'flea bay'?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 red_hot_nirvana

Cheers guys, ill give it all a go.
    Im getting the message about my battery aswell. What exactly do i do to fix that? Do i just take the battery out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

I've taken the battery out of my Inspiron 1300 and just use the plug with it, it runs fine. As well as using ccleaner, I'd also suggest Spybot S+D to check for spyware. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run you're antivirus software either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

Hi red_hot_nirvana,

Yes, just take out your battery and run it on mains only, see if it your speed problem disappears. You may have the same problem as me. If you do, you can disable 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery' in Device Manager until you get a replacement battery.

But, be sure it is the same problem before spending all that dosh on a new battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I personally do a full reinstall every year of most of my systems. This might not be the best idea for everyone but I find the performance difference is incredible. You would be surprised how much rubbish can clog up an OS.

Advertisement