Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing it for the housewives!

Options
  • 25-04-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All,
    I am starting a fitness log in an effort to motivate myself in losing some weight.

Female
    Weight 72KG
    Height : 5'4

I am currently 11.5 stone and want to get to 10 stone. I am a house wife with kids so no chance of getting to gym so I am a diy exercise merchant. I currently try to get out (if the weather is good) and walk ( fast walking) for at least 1/2 an hour a day or if the weather is bad I use my mini stepping machine for 30 minutes. I have cut out alcohol and sweets,crisps etc...

Yesterday I ate the following:

I work part time in the mornings so I don't get to eat till I arrive in work!
    Breakfast:
    10.00am
    Bowl of All Bran with sliced Banana

Lunch :
    1.00pm
    smoked mackeral fillet with salad, another banana

dinner:
    7.30pm
    Homemade chicken curry with white rice ( I was starving)

I made a bowl of homemade popcorn in the popcorn machine so no oil used which I munched on as a snack.

I don't really know about carbs or protein or what I should be eating so any tips would be appreaciated:cool:

Does my stepping machine actually help me or am I wasting my time:rolleyes:

I am a very active person I don't generally get to sit down at all during the day, I don't have a car so I walk everywhere to work,school (to collect kids etc)and the shops I normally get to flop on the couch at about ten o clock for an hour before bed

Hopefully I will begin to lose weight soon so I can fit into my summer clothes again...

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post it is the motivation I need to help me keep going!

kitzer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hey, good luck with the log, you will be glad you started one as its great for motivation. Your diet looks pretty good, although id reccomend switching any carb where possible to a wholemeal source eg: brown rice and brown pasta as they are healthier.
    One thing id be worried about is there was a gap of 6 and a half hours where u didnt eat anything. Maybe try get another healthy snack between lunch and dinner in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭LouLou1

Congrats Kitzer on getting started on your new log:):)
    +1 on the trying to fit in an extra healthy snack... 6 hours is a long time to go without any food... Good look. will be following your log to see how your getting on,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kitzer

Hi Me Again,
    Thankyou for the comments, I realise that six hours is too long not to eat, was trying to eat only three meals a day. So I decided to either have some fruit or plain ryvita if I am feeling peckish! Yesterday I had the following to eat:

10.00am
    All bran with sliced banana

1.30pm
    Lunch was chicken salad ie: chicken, lettuce, Parmesan cheese:cool:, and low fat cesar dressing.

snacked on dry ryvita and had a banana

7.30pm
    Dinner was steak (grilled) with salad and green beans yum!

9.30pm
    Had two cans of larger:( and a packet of peanuts:o

I did get out for a 30 fast walk but my legs started hurting think it might be my runners!
    I have taken note of the carbs and am now converting to uncle bens wholegrain brown rice boil in the bag!

I have also cut out any white bread and associated products!

Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to view my post,:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey. Your diet is terrible. You are depriving your body of food for far too long e.g. gap between lunch at 1pm to dinner at 7pm, and gap late snack 10pm until breakfast at 10am.

This is forcing your body into starvation mode and causing you to store fat rather than burn it.

To burn fat you need to trick your body into feeling "safe" i.e. it thinks there is food coming the whole time. The trick is to eat the right foods and in small quantities to keep your metabolism ticking over.

Why can you not eat before 10am? Surely you can spend 3 mins dumping some oats into a cup, mixing and eating with milk or a banana? Don't be lazy. Be prepared. Spend 10 mins the night before planning your food for the next day.

Failing to prepare = preparing to fail.

Try the following (adjust portions accordingly - this is a copy of a post I put elsewhere but it may prove helpful for you):
    7:00am: Porridge, banana

9:30am: 2 boiled eggs, almonds

noon: tuna, fresh chopped veg (pick from: carrots, peppers, onion, seeds, avocado, lettuce, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, etc) sweetcorn (all packed the night before and brought to work in a plastic container)

2:30pm: grapes / a few nuts (e.g. almonds) / apple

5:00pm: orange / a few nuts (e.g. almonds)

7:30pm: stir fry with just the veg and chicken / meat (no pasta, rice, spuds or anything carb heavy)

10:00pm: cottage cheese / natural yoghurt / a few chopped raw veg

In general avoid alcohol, bread, take aways, canteen food at work (usually carb heavy), sweets, chocs and fizzy drinks.

If you are hungry just eat more veg / nuts / eggs.

Exercise: Lunges, pressups, bodyweight squats, tricep dips on chairs, lots of walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, etc.

Resistance exercises above will help your body to hold on to whatever muscle it has as you diet. If your muscle disappears along with fat you will end up "skinny fat". This looks terrible, so try to keep your muscle whilst burning fat.

If you have any questions just ask.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kitzer

Hi There,
    Thankyou BossArky for your input, I know my diet is terrible so am going to adopt your one..:) Bring on the almonds I love them but thought they were a big no no:P. Unfortunately I don't eat eggs so will think of something else and go with that instead. Thanks again

Kitzer

• Advertisement
Advertisement