Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps Vaccinations

Options
  • 25-04-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭

Did everybody else get the forms for these? I hate needles, but there's been 8 cases of them in my school since the orals!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

We've had nothing! No forms, no cases.
    My friend in Balbriggan on the other hand is getting hers next week and they're had loads of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gemxpink wrote: »
    We've had nothing! No forms, no cases.

Same. Are you in a small school? I'm in a school with only 130 pupils so doubt they'll even get around to us, luckily for me I've already had two mumps vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Getting it on monday (Getting it again to be sure really, I have little interest in getting mumps :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Imagine if you got mumps for your leaving cert :pac: that'd be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Mumps will cause a painful swelling of the testicles in around 40% of teenage boys and men
    Vaccine please!!
    We're getting ours on monday, only two cases in the schools so far.

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    Vaccine please!!
    We're getting ours on monday, only two cases in the schools so far.

Friend of mine got them during 3rd (Incidentally around this time of year) mentioned something about snooker balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fad wrote: »
    Friend of mine got them during 3rd (Incidentally around this time of year) mentioned something about snooker balls.

:pac: It's definitely worse for boys!

My brother had it when he was younger, and his neck swelled so much it combined with his head to form a terrifying hybrid which I call the heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

we're not getting them. i dont mind though im immune now. i never got any shots against because when i was a baby id already had measles and rubella by the time i was supposed to get the injection and the doctor said the chance of me getting mumps was really slim. but then i got them during the junior cert mocks! a lot of people in my school want it but we werent given any forms or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo1

Is every school getting it? There are about 650 students in my school in galway city...

Mayo1 wrote: »
    Is every school getting it? There are about 650 students in my school in galway city...
    HSE Press Release
    Monday 20th April 2009
    HSE offers MMR Vaccine to post Junior Cert students as Mumps cases
    continue to increase
    The Health Service Executive (HSE) today announced that it will offer MMR
    vaccination to Transition, 5th and 6th Year students in secondary schools
    nationwide before the summer break. This measure is being taken in
    response to continued increases in cases of mumps in older teenagers and
    young adults across the country.

We all should be getting them according to this.

Also skywayavenue I think you can get mumps more than once. Something like the chickenpox, it's rare but you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

This is the first I've heard about any of this. No mention of it in school. There's about 750 in my school (does that make a difference?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

phasers wrote: »
    We all should be getting them according to this.

Also skywayavenue I think you can get mumps more than once. Something like the chickenpox, it's rare but you can.

You can get the chickenpox more than once!? Would HATE that.

I haven't heard anything about this anyway.. although I was vaccinated when i was younger so... no?

My school only heard about it on Thursday, vaccines on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I've never been vaccinated and never got mumps.

I know people who have been vaccinated and still got mumps.

Ergo, pointless.

Timans wrote: »
    I've never been vaccinated and never got mumps.

I know people who have been vaccinated and still got mumps.

Ergo, pointless.

If you get mumps in the next few mumps I WILL laugh!

Vaccines just drastically reduce you're chance getting mumps, also if theyre free is there any reason not to get them?

Same. Are you in a small school? I'm in a school with only 130 pupils so doubt they'll even get around to us, luckily for me I've already had two mumps vaccinations.

There's around 600 in our school. Considering the fact the huge hole in our roof that rains on you in the main corridor hasn't been fixed since it developed 3 years ago I doubt we'll be getting the vaccinations. Our school is very forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

gemxpink wrote: »
    There's around 600 in our school. Considering the fact the huge hole in our roof that rains on you in the main corridor hasn't been fixed since it developed 3 years ago I doubt we'll be getting the vaccinations. Our school is very forgotten.
    Nah, I was joking. I understand that it reduces the chances considerably, I've never gotten them due to negative reactions they caused in family members.

Note this is me groveling to fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If you get mumps in the next few mumps I WILL laugh!

Vaccines just drastically reduce you're chance getting mumps, also if theyre free is there any reason not to get them?

Intentional? Aha.

Ah, mumps.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Intentional? Aha.

It was originally an accident, then I decided, wait a sec, that doesnt read too badly, so I left it)

Obviously if your school has a leaking roof you wont get the vaccines!

(It was raining indoors once in my school.....)

Obviously if your school has a leaking roof you wont get the vaccines!

(It was raining indoors once in my school.....)

lol. i wonder how long it'll be before they get around to all schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Can't wait till we get and see how many people are "sick" and have to take the rest of the day off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

I really can't see it happening in my school, with only three or four weeks left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hope the vaccines are given in my school, seeing as I don't think I'm already vaccinated. I;d hate to get mumps right before the exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

awh i don't mind either way...once it dosn't hurt:p
    got a vaccination for MMR when i was younger...
    the good thing about this one, you have them shot it in on the front of your arm...

Can't wait till we get and see how many people are "sick" and have to take the rest of the day off

You can count on me being "sick"!
    flag123 wrote: »
    awh i don't mind either way...once it dosn't hurt:p
    got a vaccination for MMR when i was younger...
    the good thing about this one, you have them shot it in on the front of your arm...

Vaccines dont hurt at all (I was getting them before I went away once and the needles are so tiny, I literally didnt feel it going in{That's what she said.....:P})

They can hurt a bit afterwards, I had to get the Tetanus jab, and to make things worse I went back into school after to do an ECDL test, someone punched me in the arm right on the spot where I got the injection and I seriously fell of my chair in pain, it was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Can't we all wear face mask things like that time with the SARS, wouldn't that stop us getting it untill the vaccine people get to the schools.

I never got the Vaccine only 2 people I know got it and I would never been in close contact with them, can it live on surfaces, e.g tables and stuff and then spread onto you?

Kournikova wrote: »
    Can't we all wear face mask things like that time with the SARS, wouldn't that stop us getting it untill the vaccine people get to the schools.

I never got the Vaccine only 2 people I know got it and I would never been in close contact with them, can it live on surfaces, e.g tables and stuff and then spread onto you?

Spread though, coughing, sneezing, and saliva swappin'.

Also according to this handy info sheet, you shouldnt get the vaccine if you're pregnant. I'd better check before monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

ohh right.

The would free masks not be a good idea for the interim period like in Mexico at the moment.

Kournikova wrote: »
    ohh right.

The would free masks not be a good idea for the interim period like in Mexico at the moment.

Leaving out just one letter renders that lacking in all sense!

I'd say you'll survive.

• Advertisement

Spread though, coughing, sneezing, and saliva swappin'.

Also according to this handy info sheet, you shouldnt get the vaccine if you're pregnant. I'd better check before monday.

You should also avoid getting pregnant for one month after getting it :pac:

Advertisement