Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps Vaccinations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

phasers wrote: »
    You should also avoid getting pregnant for one month after getting it :pac:

THATISSOOOOOOONOTFAIR

ITZLIEKETHEMAAAAAAAANISTRYINGTOCONTROLMYLOINS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My biology teacher brought this up when we were looking at the virus section. I really doubt you'll get it if you go to a small school, like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

800+ in my school, and 100 staff.

Didnt hear about this till now!

The head girl has it now apparently, and she's not allowed back to school for 2 weeks. With only a few weeks left till the leaving, thats pretty ****.

Thing is, she's on my form class, and gave me a lift home the other day :eek:

So if i was to get a vaccination, i'd have to go my own gp then?

Problem is, its most contagious when there's no symptoms (Or so I've heard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

As a teacher this is what we have been told, all students can get the vaccine, some may have to get it in their own time if all schools are not reached by the end of the year. Also some of our teachers are getting it if they are young enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

some may have to get it in their own time if all schools are not reached by the end of the year

Do you know when that comes into place, like do we have to wait until the end of the year or can we get it now in our own time for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Does anyone know if this is free? I'm going to my GP tomorrow anyway so might as well ge tthe vaccine if I can.

Piste wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is free? I'm going to my GP tomorrow anyway so might as well ge tthe vaccine if I can.

HSE are giving them out free in schools.

I dunno if it'd be free in the GPs.

Pity, I hope my school gets them :(

Though knowing my luck I'd have a reaction to the vaccine and end up with full-blown mumps for the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Pity, I hope my school gets them :(

Though knowing my luck I'd have a reaction to the vaccine and end up with full-blown mumps for the exams.

Same :(

LOL best wait til after the exams then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

i just recovered from them... it was the worst week ever. a lot of pain and no study..
    i had the vaccine and booster when i was younger but got them anyway... get the vaccine if you can the last thing you want are the mumps during the lc, and they are super contagious, even before someone shows symptoms...
    sooo get the vaccine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

We got the notices today. We're getting them on Wednesday and Thursday. I hate injections but I'd rather not risk it with the LC.

We found out today our school's getting the vaccine next week. A girl in my year and a few 5th years have it :(

Got the vaccine today, my arm is getting progressively more annoying tbh, not sore but this weird feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Hmm.. what are the chances of getting mumps without the vaccine??

I'd really rather not get it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

got our letters today, getting them next tuesday & wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I asked my Irish teacher today (who's also like the deputy, deputy principal...) if we were getting them. She said, Ah no, you'd only need that if you were in regular contact with a third level student... What?! :confused:

I tried to explain that there have been loads of cases in secondary schools, and some of my friends had already gotten/are getting vaccinations, even for precaution's sake, and she said, oh in *the school up the road*? I was like no, they're from the southside mostly, so far. And she was like, oh yeah, that'll be because they're near UCD.

What?! Crazy woman. Stop talking nonsense and just get us some vaccinations already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hmm no idea if I've had 2 doses before but sure its FREE! So I'll take it:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Getting ours tomorrow, last time I got a vaccination my arm was in bits and it went dead and I could hardly move it for a couple of days afterwards. Hope that won't happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Polarity wrote: »

if you're over 16 it's your own choice whether or not to get it

• Advertisement

Polarity wrote: »

Why not, just out of curiosity?

I've no idea what the chances are without the vaccine, but with just one dose of the vaccine the chance is still 20% so it's going to be a lot higher if you don't get it.

Everyone is paranoid in my year (ok well me mostly...). Whenever someone sneeze people are like "mumps!"

Whenever someone sneeze people are like "mumps!"

I cant wait for when people start shrieking SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fad wrote: »
    I cant wait for when people start shrieking SWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
    Already happening. : p In college mumps were pretty big around easter, now evveryone's busy being paranoid about the oncoming flu apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Anyone know how long you have to wait to drink after getting your vaccinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

We're now getting vaccinations on the 15th, which is freakin' ages away.

People are already nearly crying at the thoughts of the needle - I can only imagine the day itself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

no mention of them in my school.
    doubt we'll be getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I guess if your memory T-cells forgot about the chiken pox...or didn't remember them. Something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

we're getting the vaccination tomorrow.

I've never refused a free shot before, not going to start now.

there was 10-15 people in the school had the mumps around febuary/march. seems like a case of bolting the gate after the metaphorical horse has enlarged your testicles.

also, it can take 28 days for the vaccine to kick in, which means you might not me covered for the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got it last Thursday, the needle is just like a light pinch on the arm. I didn't even bleed!

One girl made such a fuss she had to be basically held down by a nurse, then she cried for about half an hour afterwards. What a drama queen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I couldn't get it cos I'm sick! does that mean I'm going to catch mumps off everybody now?
    and I remember from when I got it as a kid it's only a pick, the meningitas one is the one they shove into your arm for 10 seconds! oouch

Advertisement