Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps Vaccinations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

We're getting ours this Friday, on Sports day.

It's all a ploy to make us go to sports day instead of studying.

I bet I'll end up getting mumps anyway, 'cause that's my luck. I look forward to an increased amount of manhood and a failed Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

rumour going around my school that if you got the vaccination in your arm before, that you have to get it in the ... somewhere other than your arm the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

dont worry its just a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

phasers wrote: »
    I got it last Thursday, the needle is just like a light pinch on the arm. I didn't even bleed!

One girl made such a fuss she had to be basically held down by a nurse, then she cried for about half an hour afterwards. What a drama queen...

One guy at mine got it bad. As soon as they pulled out the needle, a stream of blood pours out and the doctor stumbled trying to clear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keej

we got our vaccinations about 2 weeks ago as loadssss of people have been getting it, especially in college in limerick, and lots of them have sisters in my school and stuff.. one girl in my year got rubella from the injection itself :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Got it today. My arm is all feckin stiff tho.

The nurse was a legend tho.

And dont worry I think its my 3rd time getting it (wasnt sure if I had it twice so didnt take the risk of not getting it) and no, the nurse went nowhere near my arse.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

keej wrote: »
    we got our vaccinations about 2 weeks ago as loadssss of people have been getting it, especially in college in limerick, and lots of them have sisters in my school and stuff.. one girl in my year got rubella from the injection itself :eek:

You can't get the virus from the vaccination! Sure they inject you with the virus' DNA but the part of it that infects you is switched off. The part that stimulates antibody production is left intact. The vaccination takes 28 days to kick in so she must have been infected before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Conor108 wrote: »
    You can't get the virus from the vaccination! Sure they inject you with the virus' DNA but the part of it that infects you is switched off. The part that stimulates antibody production is left intact. The vaccination takes 28 days to kick in so she must have been infected before that.

What happens there is that your immune system is weakened by the injection so its easier to catch stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

keej wrote: »

Call Dr House :D

I was supposed to get mine yesterday, but my year didn't get it because we were on a retreat. So now, the HSE will contact us "sometime in June" to arrange to get it. What good is that if one of us gets it before the LC? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

I was supposed to get mine yesterday, but my year didn't get it because we were on a retreat. So now, the HSE will contact us "sometime in June" to arrange to get it. What good is that if one of us gets it before the LC? Ridiculous.

Its not the HSE's fault at all!

Its your schools fault for having the retreat on that day/not notifying the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

phasers wrote: »
    :pac: It's definitely worse for boys!

My brother had it when he was younger, and his neck swelled so much it combined with his head to form a terrifying hybrid which I call the heck.

It's also made worse for men by the fact that we have a chance of becoming sterile from it as far as I know:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I got mine today after missing the school appointment (which they didn't notify us about), I just went to a local GP and they gave me it for free.

Fad wrote: »
    Its not the HSE's fault at all!

Its your schools fault for having the retreat on that day/not notifying the HSE.

Not directing it at anyone, just think that it's stupid that we should get the injection to prevent us from getting it for the LC, but we're getting it after the LC

(And to be fair, the school had the retreat date booked and organised before they were told about the injections)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Not directing it at anyone, just think that it's stupid that we should get the injection to prevent us from getting it for the LC, but we're getting it after the LC

(And to be fair, the school had the retreat date booked and organised before they were told about the injections)

And I'm kinda saying the school should probably have mentioned this to the HSE as soon as word got out about the vaccination campaign, so they could get a different date, when your year weren't on retreat!

Fad wrote: »
    And I'm kinda saying the school should probably have mentioned this to the HSE as soon as word got out about the vaccination campaign, so they could get a different date, when your year weren't on retreat!

They did. "Sometime in June" was the answer they got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keej

well i duno maybe she was infected before she got it but dont think anyone around here had rubella
    she was told it only lasts a week or so tho so shes almost better lol

Advertisement