Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little advice please!

• 25-04-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

hi

Im looking into going back to college. Im back in the country for the last few months so Ive being on welfare for 3 months. I haven't even got an interview in 3 months!! I didnt realise quite how bad it would be before I came back.

anyhow I reckon nows the time to upskill....So bascically my problem is Ive only got an ordinary(pass) degreee (in ICT from Trinity). I never sat my finals. ( yes I regret this now) I wasnt too studious unfortunately towards the end of my college years.

On the positive side Ive got 4 years experience in the IT industry. Support mainly. Ive got a good leaving cert. A' in honours maths and applied maths. Do I have any hope of getting into a masters??

If not would I have to do a diploma first?

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

nobody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Of course you can get in. Though it really depends on the course you're applying to and the college in question. A Pass Degree is sometimes acceptable for most colleges whom are assessing their Masters applicants. Plus you have professional experience in your field too so that would bode well.

As I said it always depends on the College and course in question but if you want to apply directly to a Masters you should ask the course Coordinator before applying.

All the best. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

ruaneg wrote: »
    nobody?

Hope you get some helpful replies... please don't bump threads, it's not nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ruaneg wrote: »
    anyhow I reckon nows the time to upskill....So bascically my problem is Ive only got an ordinary(pass) degreee (in ICT from Trinity). I never sat my finals. ( yes I regret this now) I wasnt too studious unfortunately towards the end of my college years.

On the positive side Ive got 4 years experience in the IT industry. Support mainly. Ive got a good leaving cert. A' in honours maths and applied maths. Do I have any hope of getting into a masters??

If not would I have to do a diploma first?

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

As you have a Level 7 qualification, I would imagine you would have to do a Level 8 (i.e. Honours Degree) before you would be allowed to apply for the MSc., which is Level 9.

Best check with the college in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

appreciate the advice lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement