Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to give a mate a gift of a book...

Options
  • 25-04-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

It's a pretty expensive version of a limited edition book. He's been a very good mate to me lately and helped me a lot through some personal issues. Just wondering: is it a good idea to write a message on the endpapers of the inside cover of the book or on a birthday card along with it? Don't want to ruin the gift but also want to make it personal etc? any thoughts or etiquette in such matters is much appreciated.... Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Moved from PI.

If its a limited edition book, I wouldn't write on it. Maybe get a nice bookmark and write a message on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if it's an expensive limited edition I wouldn't write on the book.

Include a good quality note card inside it - make sure the ink is completely dry before putting it in, and don't use pencil because if the card moves around it will rub off. I wouldn't bother with a regular gift card - they're too trite for such a personal gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

How about a postit?
    (not sure how to spell that but you know those little sticky yellow notes, the adhesive on them are not that strong so I wouldn't think it would ruin the page if it was pulled off)
    Know it dosent sound very personal, but some of the nicest things have been said to me on postits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im a book lover and I own a number of limited edition/expensive books.

I love when people personalise a book with a message on the inside (Ive a beautifully illustrated copy of Lord of the Rings that was signed and dated inside by the gift giver for my 21st birthday, I still smile when I see the message). However, if you are giving this as a gift that may hold value for the person someday then dont write on it. Personally I dont intend to sell my books, the value they hold for me is not monetary.

A totally safe compromise that wont damage the book or break any etiquette is to get a nice bookmark and write on that - they can leave it in the book if they wish.

Advertisement