Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

London tickets bought and in the 10C lotto for Amsterdam so 🤞 crossed for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

lassykk wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what time the London event might end - Tubes stop at midnight so don't want to be under pressure if I can avoid it!

Last time in Milan was carnage trying to get a train back to the centre of Milan!

Nevermind - found an AirBnB within walking distance and the ticket says it ends at 11pm so all good

Just to add, it's on a Friday night and most of the tube network is 24 hours now on Friday/Saturday nights so shouldn't be an issue regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

You can check out the "info" for each one here: https://pearljam.com/tour

Only Stockholm on sale right now if not in Ten Club

Thanks, up to my eyes in it at work today...have a feeling this could be the last time we see them all together for a long time in Europe,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thanks, up to my eyes in it at work today...have a feeling this could be the last time we see them all together for a long time in Europe,

London: Saturday 7th December at 10am - https://www.bst-hydepark.com/events/detail/57

Berlin: Same time & date - https://pearljam.tickets.de/en/event/1003672

Budapest: Same time & date - https://www.livenation.hu/show/1290075/pearl-jam/Budapest/2020-07-15/hu

I feel it might be too. Wish they'd play Dublin but after going to Milan the last time and enjoying it I said I'd travel again if they played Europe

I feel it might be too. Wish they'd play Dublin but after going to Milan the last time and enjoying it I said I'd travel again if they played Europe

I said the same thing myself after seeing them in Berlin, had a great weekend and saw them on a beautiful day in an amazing venue so using this as an excuse to have a piss up weekend in London, flights are cheap and I have family I can stay with so it's not a big inconvenience and as a bonus we get Pixies as well who I'm a fan of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The money spent on the tubes around London will amount to the ticket price if they played Ireland.

What a waste of money to see a guy who treats the Irish fans like mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Eddie prob come back in 2021 with another solo show

Boycott it

Burty330 wrote: »
    The money spent on the tubes around London will amount to the ticket price if they played Ireland.

Presuming you're staying within Zone 1+2 the daily cap on oyster is £7, daily cap in Dublin is €10 for leap so.... no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

This is nonsense, tube is very cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well Bob Dylan/Neil young headlined Hyde Park last night and then played Nowlan Park

Prob wont happen a month from sundays but ya never knw

EyesClosed wrote: »
    This is nonsense, tube is very cheap

Not to and from the airports it isn't , and i like to go express. Its a lot of money spent on travel alone.

The whole point of a band going on tour is so the come to you

Not to and from the airports it isn't , and i like to go express. Its a lot of money spent on travel alone.

The whole point of a band going on tour is so the come to you

That's not the tube so, that's a regular train, you said "spent on tubes around London". And there are plenty of options to get to/from the airport, you don't have to get the express train. That said the Stansted Express is only about £14 open return if you book a month or so in advance (in this case you'd have plenty of time to book in advance) and the regular trains from Gatwick take the same time as the express but are far cheaper and Heathrow of course has the tube so again not really a valid argument.

Some people seem to be taking it really personally and getting angry that there's no Dublin date but I see it as an opportunity for a great weekend away. Between tickets, flights and accommodation, a group of three of us paid probably the guts of €300 each for 3 nights in Berlin in 2018 to see them but it's not like we dropped the 300 in one go; tickets first, then flights, then accommodation was pay on arrival so it's not like we had to take a huge financial hit in one go and frankly I don't regret it for a minute. Aside from the gig we had a brilliant time in Berlin in general.

London flights with return airport train will be easily got for €50 - 60 max and while I might be lucky enough to have free accommodation for this one, there's plenty of affordable accommodation in central London, particularly if there's a few of you going and you get a private hostel room for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The express airport trains for London are an absolute tourist cod it's senseless taking a financial hit on them.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    That's not the tube so, that's a regular train, you said "spent on tubes around London". And there are plenty of options to get to/from the airport, you don't have to get the express train. That said the Stansted Express is only about £14 open return if you book a month or so in advance (in this case you'd have plenty of time to book in advance) and the regular trains from Gatwick take the same time as the express but are far cheaper and Heathrow of course has the tube so again not really a valid argument.

Some people seem to be taking it really personally and getting angry that there's no Dublin date but I see it as an opportunity for a great weekend away. Between tickets, flights and accommodation, a group of three of us paid probably the guts of €300 each for 3 nights in Berlin in 2018 to see them but it's not like we dropped the 300 in one go; tickets first, then flights, then accommodation was pay on arrival so it's not like we had to take a huge financial hit in one go and frankly I don't regret it for a minute. Aside from the gig we had a brilliant time in Berlin in general.

London flights with return airport train will be easily got for €50 - 60 max and while I might be lucky enough to have free accommodation for this one, there's plenty of affordable accommodation in central London, particularly if there's a few of you going and you get a private hostel room for the night.

You're going to get fleeced just to watch a band ,there's no two ways around it if you're going to London.
    50 - 60 quid to London return?? LOL!

Mushy wrote: »
    They dont tend to play huge venues either though (Berlin is 20k). Krakow was a late change from Lodz, if the rumours are to be believed. Think Krakow is bigger arena though.

The band wont know where they're playing in the sense that the Management will do the negotiations. They'll know Europe is planned, they'd at a minimum guess where they're playing, might have some say in final locations

20k isn't big :confused:

Tauron is I found decent ya maybe 16k at a guess saw Maiden there, Bit outside city and is a dry arena so if you fancy a beer you'll have to wait till after the show which there was some cracking spots in the City so how bad.

I guessed where they were playing so no surprises when they were official one or 2 off the trend,they know

You're going to get fleeced just to watch a band ,there's no two ways around it if you're going to London.

Is it London or Pearl jam you have the issue with

London to Stansted booked yesterday for €58 so your lol is misplaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Is it London or Pearl jam you have the issue with

London to Stansted booked yesterday for €58 so your lol is misplaced!

He's clearly never been to London before

I fly to London every year, usually twice, sometimes more and €60 would be on the higher end of what I pay (last one was Friday to Monday this summer gone for €46 return for the Rammstein gig). If you were to buy flights right now for Thursday to Saturday for the Friday gig the flights are €56.98 return (but I'd consider that on the higher end, makes way more sense to wait for them to come down), and just as an example, you can currently get Thursday 20th Feb to Saturday 22nd for €29.98 return. So yeah, not sure what you're "lol-ing" about :confused:

Around €50 return plus €90-odd for a ticket and free accommodation isn't getting fleeced as far as I'm concerned (think Metallica Slane GC was something like €150? plus at least €30 for a return bus) because I intend to spend a few days over there and make a trip of it and meet up with friends that live over there. If you focus on "I'm paying x amount for just a gig" you might feel fleeced but the way I look at it it's an excuse for a great weekend away.

Everyone puts different value on things, some people think spending €70 on a night out in Dublin is money well spent, for me spending €150 for one of my favourite bands plus a supporting band I'd pay €50 to see alone (Pixies) and having a great weekend in a city that I always have a brilliant time in is a better way to spend it, but hey, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tauron is I found decent ya maybe 16k at a guess saw Maiden there, Bit outside city and is a dry arena so if you fancy a beer you'll have to wait till after the show which there was some cracking spots in the City so how bad.

I guessed where they were playing so no surprises when they were official one or 2 off the trend,they know

Sorry, not big in the sense that youd imagine they could play bigger venues.

• Advertisement

I fly to London every year, usually twice, sometimes more and €60 would be on the higher end of what I pay (last one was Friday to Monday this summer gone for €46 return for the Rammstein gig). If you were to buy flights right now for Thursday to Saturday for the Friday gig the flights are €56.98 return (but I'd consider that on the higher end, makes way more sense to wait for them to come down), and just as an example, you can currently get Thursday 20th Feb to Saturday 22nd for €29.98 return. So yeah, not sure what you're "lol-ing" about :confused:

Around €50 return plus €90-odd for a ticket and free accommodation isn't getting fleeced as far as I'm concerned (think Metallica Slane GC was something like €150? plus at least €30 for a return bus) because I intend to spend a few days over there and make a trip of it and meet up with friends that live over there. If you focus on "I'm paying x amount for just a gig" you might feel fleeced but the way I look at it it's an excuse for a great weekend away.

Everyone puts different value on things, some people think spending €70 on a night out in Dublin is money well spent, for me spending €150 for one of my favourite bands plus a supporting band I'd pay €50 to see alone (Pixies) and having a great weekend in a city that I always have a brilliant time in is a better way to spend it, but hey, that's just me.
    Horseraddish!!!. There's a difference in fares between Feb and July to start.

70-80e would get you to either Gathwick or Srannded. You then have to travel an hour into the city which hikes the cost up more.

You can bypass that by going Heathrow , but that will set you back no less than 150e.

"But but Berlin is cheaper though" "Flight are cheap in February"

You ain't going to Berlin ponhcy. You going to London in the middle of Summer.

Hotels are busy. Flights are busy. Ergo , everything is FAR more expensive.

I you and the rest of the suckerz s want to justify the expense by convincing yourself it can be done for cheap...It can't!!

and having a great weekend in a city that I always have a brilliant time in is a better way to spend it, but hey, that's just me.

No , you don't You're only saying that. London is a crap show. Nobody would ever go there for anything other than a gig or to visit friends or relatives.
    lol@the idea of going to London for a mini holiday.

70-80e would get you to either Gathwick or Srannded. You then have to travel an hour into the city which hikes the cost up more.

You can bypass that by going Heathrow , but that will set you back no less than 150e.

I you and the rest of the suckerz s want to justify the expense by convincing yourself it can be done for cheap...It can't!!

I love how triggered you are by this. It's really entertaining

LHR return instead of Stansted is €120 on the Thursday returning Saturday and can be gotten cheaper if willing to fly earlier in the day which as I'm travelling from Waterford to Dublin first I'm not.

I've booked a highly rated AirBnB beside Hyde Park (5 min walk to the gate) for €35 per night so for two nights in London plus my Stansted flight (€58) it's costing me €128.

Can't see how that's excessive but if it upsets you then so be it.

I you you and the rest of the sucka's want to justify the expense by convincing yourself it can be done for cheap...It can't!!

Did you totally ignore the fact that I already said flights are currently at €58 for July? And I went last July for €46 (flights go up and down and generally hit a nice low point around 6 - 8 weeks before the date)? And trains from Stansted are much cheaper if booked in advance? And there's plenty of alternatives if you don't want to get the train?

London isn't a summer destination, flights from Dublin are a pittance year round due to high competition and traffic so you're clearly not a regular traveller or haven't done your homework on this as the facts are against you, it takes less than 3 minutes googling flights to prove this. You might have a point if we were talking about sunnier cities on the continent but we're talking about London here. As stated previously I already have free accommodation so this doesn't factor in to my decision but a cursory glance of hostelworld shows you can get a well rated 4 bed private room in central London for about €25 a head per night based on 2 nights (Thursday to Saturday) on the dates of the gig.

Also I never said Berlin was cheaper, not sure where you're getting that? I just stated that the cost doesn't hit the wallet all at once and that it's a great excuse for a weekend away. Berlin is a fantastic city, so is London for that matter so I'm more then happy to have a good excuse to spend a weekend in either (going back to Berlin next summer as it happens for Rammstein as opposed to going to Belfast; it'll cost more but it'll be a great trip so why not).

But please, go on, I'm happy to continue to prove you wrong :)

No , you don't You're only saying that. London is a crap show. Nobody would ever go there for anything other than a gig or to visit friends or relatives.

Horses for courses, if I didn't like London I wouldn't go over several times a year. Tbh it's hard not to have a good time there if you know what you're doing and where you're going, it's huge with tonnes to do and there's something for everyone and every trip I take I check out something new or different that I haven't done before which is just one reason why I keep going back but I accept not everyone likes massive cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Tell us more about this person's experiences in London.

I was in the Tauron last year for Pearl Jam. I had floor standing tickets and there were numerous bars on the venue grounds and one on the way into the venue at my designated entrance, just not directly inside the venue. The bars were giving out those cup holder trays that could hold up to 10 beers, and I'm 99% sure we were were carrying these in and out of the venue between bar visits.

I agree with you that there are some great spots in the city, just getting back to the city centre after the show was a bit of a voyage last year. The tram out to it was a breeze though.

I was in the Tauron last year for Pearl Jam. I had floor standing tickets and there were numerous bars on the venue grounds and one on the way into the venue at my designated entrance, just not directly inside the venue. The bars were giving out those cup holder trays that could hold up to 10 beers, and I'm 99% sure we were were carrying these in and out of the venue between bar visits.

I agree with you that there are some great spots in the city, just getting back to the city centre after the show was a bit of a voyage last year. The tram out to it was a breeze though.

They had bars open alright but the only beer they sold was non-alc at least at the show I attended.

Yeah we got a cab in and out had to wait a bit for way back alright should probably address that particularly for non locals.

Debating to return to Krakow even for Mystic Festival which was actually hosted in the Tauron but they expanded to an air museum spot for next year.

Mushy wrote: »
    Sorry, not big in the sense that youd imagine they could play bigger venues.

Now I get ya.

London is cheaper than Dublin at this stage I reckon,I have budget accom that is reliable any time I visit London with Dublin the prices barely never reach it lately I find myself taking the 3 hour bus home after events rather than stay up.

Gatwick would be handy for this really, take a non express train (I can't state enough how much of a waste of money express is) and you'll still be in around the area in under an hour.

Say you went the Stansted option takes longer naturally but bus is around £7 ,the half hour bus from Dublin airport to the centre is around the same price.

Flights are reasonable most of the year, it's one of the most frequent routes per day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Burty really hates Pearl Jam eh?

If I can throw in my own experience of touring to see Pj 49 gigs all over since 96
    When it comes to London, buy the more expensive flight into London city airport. You’re going to spend almost the same on travel in and back out of London to whichever of the other airports you choose.
    Sounds counterproductive but it’s true.
    And LCA is dead smack in the middle of the city. Just a couple of stops on the dlr or tube to everything

Advertisement