Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Tribesman, I'm a sane well rounded individual and I've seen pearl jam 25 times in 8 countries and 11 different US states. If you went along you'd understand it..it's a brilliant scene among the fan base and very very addictive as a culture. I'm friends with some of the more lets say 'dedicated' ones who are at every show..they're cool. There definitely are some weirder people in there, Qing up from the night before and early morning and organising the Q n crap like that, but overall it's a brilliant buzz touring and the energy and level of adrenaline I suppose is what makes it addictive. Plus you meet really cool people (Hi Jen!!)
    They consistently put on an amazing show every night and it really is what makes it worth it.

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

Tribesman, I'm a sane well rounded individual and I've seen pearl jam 25 times in 8 countries and 11 different US states. If you went along you'd understand it..it's a brilliant scene among the fan base and very very addictive as a culture. I'm friends with some of the more lets say 'dedicated' ones who are at every show..they're cool. There definitely are some weirder people in there, Qing up from the night before and early morning and organising the Q n crap like that, but overall it's a brilliant buzz touring and the energy and level of adrenaline I suppose is what makes it addictive. Plus you meet really cool people (Hi Jen!!)
    They consistently put on an amazing show every night and it really is what makes it worth it.

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

no thanks. i will pass. ive seen them a total of 10 times over 10 years. they do consistently put on good shows, but i refuse to follow a band around the world. ill just download their live albums for free. even seeing them on back to back shows is too much. sometimes less is more people. give other people a chance to see them. dont be greedy

ye probably don't care but pearl jam do depend a lot on that touring fan base and obviously to people who go see them every year..especially as they're an independent band now and touring is their bread and butter.

Also-Phantom are playing Supersonic a bit..seems to be going down really well :) its a killer tune!

ye probably don't care but pearl jam do depend a lot on that touring fan base and obviously to people who go see them every year..especially as they're an independent band now and touring is their bread and butter.

Also-Phantom are playing Supersonic a bit..seems to be going down really well :) its a killer tune!

this i know. i am a fan and i attend their concerts. im just not psychotic about it.

Ah i wouldn't be psychotic..the lawyer guy who's wife gave him an ultimatum, herself and his kids or touring after pearl jam..and he chose pearl jam..now thats psychotic. It's just a fun holiday for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

this i know. i am a fan and i attend their concerts. im just not psychotic about it.

Ah come on tribesman, surely 'psychotic' was a tad OTT?! :confused:

Yeah sure he's a dedicated fan but thats the case with every band. If it was U2 or the Killers or something then it would be inexcusable but come on, its PJ!

Yeah sure he's a dedicated fan but thats the case with every band. If it was U2 or the Killers or something then it would be inexcusable but come on, its PJ!

no, over the top is buying 5 copies of the same album and touring the world with a band. i dont care what band it is. i think your all a bunch of nutters!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Maybe ye haven't met many Pearl Jam fans then, ey?

jenizzle wrote: »
    Maybe ye haven't met many Pearl Jam fans then, ey?

ive met plenty. most are cool. but with any band, you will always find a few psychos here and there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

no, over the top is buying 5 copies of the same album and touring the world with a band. i dont care what band it is. i think your all a bunch of nutters!

Meh, to each their own. I spend thousands a year travelling to the UK to watch football matches when I could be spending €15 and a bus ticket to travel to Tolka Park. We all do what pleases us, I don't think the more fanatical fans are doing anyone any harm, so why the comments?

• Advertisement

Meh, to each their own. I spend thousands a year travelling to the UK to watch football matches when I could be spending €15 and a bus ticket to travel to Tolka Park. We all do what pleases us, I don't think the more fanatical fans are doing anyone any harm, so why the comments?

i think that is psychotic behavior as well. you can just get sky sports and some beers and save yourself a ****load of money. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I think tribesman wants a quota for every enjoyable experience in the world.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Don't throw U2 in there 90% of their hardcore fans think Achtung Baby was their first album :rolleyes:, but there is a very strong and proud U2 fan base, that whilst they are not a patch on our insane cult, you have to remember that U2 wrote The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, War, All That You Can't Leave Behind, Rattle & Hum, etc, , , , , The Killers wrote Mr. Brightside, , , ,

Ah i wouldn't be psychotic..the lawyer guy who's wife gave him an ultimatum, herself and his kids or touring after pearl jam..and he chose pearl jam..now thats psychotic. It's just a fun holiday for the rest of us.

I chose them over a vacation with my (ex) girlfriend, that ended that. So i might not be too divorced from that situation!:o

I'm listening to the remastered Ten in work... good times :D It's nice to hear that The Fixer is getting lots of radio play too.

Don't throw U2 in there 90% of their hardcore fans think Achtung Baby was their first album :rolleyes:, but there is a very strong and proud U2 fan base, that whilst they are not a patch on our insane cult, you have to remember that U2 wrote The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, War, All That You Can't Leave Behind, Rattle & Hum, etc, , , , , The Killers wrote Mr. Brightside, , , ,

i dont think 90% think achtung baby is their first album. maybe joshua tree. i think if you give the killers 30 years like U2 have had, they will be just as successful. i see a lot of similarities between the 2 bands. the killers have written a lot more good songs than just "mr. brightside"

i dont think 90% think achtung baby is their first album. maybe joshua tree. i think if you give the killers 30 years like U2 have had, they will be just as successful. i see a lot of similarities between the 2 bands. the killers have written a lot more good songs than just "mr. brightside"

Alright Joshua Tree, but the point i was making was the lack of knowledge.
    Regardless i sincerly doubt even with 30 years The Killers will produce anything near U2, not one Killers IMO would make an appearance on a U2 Hits collection. (I actually think Mr. Brightside is sh1te!):D

With 5 years under their belt U2 had been named by Time as the band of the decade and had released Another Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Bloody Sunday, Pride, New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat As One, '40, Bad, Unforgettable Fire, Gloria, Fire, I Will Follow, Out Of Control. Killers have released Smile Like You Mean It, All These Things That I Have Done, Mr. Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Indie Rock, Bones, When We Were Young, Reasons Unknown, Read My Mind and Human but also they have released 8 or 9 singles of pure sh1t, U2 didnt have a poor album until 93' which was 17 years into their career, half of the Killers album releases have been terrible. I know its just opinion but really, comparing The Killers to U2, c'mon like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

i think that is psychotic behavior as well. you can just get sky sports and some beers and save yourself a ****load of money. lol

There's a great big world out there, you should try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So what you are saying with your constant use of the word psychotic, it that people who travel to see a band or travel to watch sports are suffering from a lack of contact with reality?

Because in a nutshell saying someone is psychotic is saying that they cannot grasp reality and will not be able to interact socially.

Going by what you term as being psychotic, then I guess someone who buys a car when they could use a bus is psychotic, as they could simply use the bus instead of a car.

And why buy cds or MP3 players when you can listen to the music on the radio?

Hell, people who are dedicated to their jobs and don't pull sickies and off to do overtime must be psychotic, as they could be at home doing nothing instead of working more.

As the psychotic Spurs supporter said; it's a big world out there, get out and experience it as much as you can. Who knows, you may even find something that you can be "psychotic" over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I think this is absoulutely ridiculous, so doing anything that requires a bit of dedication is psychotic??

I travel to see pearl jam because they are a passion of mine, I enjoy every show and I enjoy meeting all different kinds of people at their show. As to your point about stalking the band or whatever, no, I have never met the band, I have never waited around a venue to see the band or arrived at their hotel, I leave the show at the end of the show and thats its. If some people want to wait and see the band then fine, they'll do what they want to do, I think the band realises there are people who'll do this, why, because they are famous, people look up to them and would love to see them, its just normal.

As for buying multiple copies, well I am being offered something different with each purchase, and yes I do like to have a physical copy of thing, im not a big downloader and dont even own an mp3 player and have no intention of buying one, I use my phone for some music when there is the odd time ill need it. Even anything I do download is immediately burned to cd!

I think it comes down to there being all different types of fans, there are those like myself on this board who love to travel and see the band as many times as they can an possibly collect things and im fairly sure none of us are psychotic!!
    There are those who'll buy cd or download and go to a show if its convenient and there are those who just like the songs they hear on he radio so at the end of the day just because there are some of us who are more passionate than others it dont make us psychotic!

And yes, there are other things in life im passionate about too, that I would devote the same level of enthusiasm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ger8150

Great live band. Seen them live in 2000 in The Point. Best gig of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Backspacer needs to leak.

It's actually very impressive that it hasn't been leaked yet!

I hope it doesn't turn into another Muse scenario, which only leaked last night, right before it officially comes out!

Actually, what date is Backspacer officially out over here?

I think the 18th as most albums are released here on a Friday.

Unless another Muse scenario occurs, we should be looking at a leak for this by the end of the week. I've got the vinyl pre-ordered from Amazon before anyone tries to guilt trip me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I travelled to London in August to see them. If I could've afforded it I would have been everywhere too. Everytime I saw someone with all 4 early entry wristbands I was very jealous.

As for people saying it may not be worth joining the 10C, it really is. I got London tickets straight away, and early entry on the day, I was literally 3 people away from Eddie when he passed his bottle of wine to the crowd while singing Crazy Mary. "Take a bottle drink it down, Pass it around" Epic! The guy he gave it to never passed it around though. Can't blame him really.

But even if there were no gigs, the 2 Deep magazines you get and the Xmas Vinyl are worth the $25 a year. Even though I have no Vinyl Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

cant wait for the album to come out. heard some of it on myspace sounds great, any idea if there playing here soon missed the last 2 times they played.

They won't be playing here for some time. Eddie mentioned at the London O2 show that it wouldn't be in the near future. We shall wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

jenizzle wrote: »
    They won't be playing here for some time. Eddie mentioned at the London O2 show that it wouldn't be in the near future. We shall wait and see.
    Yeah I didn't like it when he siad he wouldn't see us for "I don't know how long."
    The new album will have to sate your PJ need for a while. And hopefully the bootleg of London. What a set!

Advertisement