Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

It's just a fun pop record with some powerful and touching moments. Pearl jam and Fun usually never go in the same sentence

I have other bands in my record collection that fit this criteria, it's just not what I expect, or want, from my Pearl Jam records unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

But then that's yourself being let down by your own expectations, it's not the bands fault for not making the album you didn't want to hear.
    Did we really need another dark moody contemplative record like Riot act? or another pile of halfbaked ****e like S/T? I will probably never lsiten to S/T again and I'm not sad about it at all.

Had they repeated themselves along those lines we'd probably be all complaining that they're repeating themselves. They've never ever struck out in a direction like Backspacer so forcefully and done it so well as they have here. Give it time and repeated listening.
    Don't worry, I'm not raggin o you for not liking it, I was fully about to give up on this band after S/T but as someone else said to me, even that record might someday make sense and give itself up..it happens. But I think you should give this one a few weeks and don't put any of you own expectations on it before you write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i like all pearl jam's albums for the simple fact that they are always taking steps forward. sure riot act was a bit experimental. self titled was written when they were angry with things, so its a more upbeat record. but thats what i like about pearl jam. they make albums with how they are feeling at the moment. they dont make an album based on what the fans want to hear. and that has always been their attitude. you either love it or hate it. and if you hate it, then they take no offense to it. i personally love the self titled album. this new album is yet another step forward. eddies fingerpicking on "just breathe" which is reminiscent of a few songs on the into the wild soundtrack. its a new style he likes to try out and i think it works wonderfully. i really think they had no code and yield in mind when making this record. "supersonic" sounds very much like "mankind" with the slide and some of the riffs. "unthought known" starts off with a similar riff to "wishlist". but at the same time the songs go off on a different style. i think it is a brilliant album from a band who has been around for a long time. not many bands out there can do this well into their 40's. i think everyone slagging it should give it another listen. i find that listening to an album all the way through 2 times and then letting it sit for a week or 2 before going back, really helps. i thought from the first listen that many songs had soaring choruses, rocking riffs and some beatiful somber moments. but maybe my ear is just more accustomed to picking up on it quicker. just give it another try though, and if you dont like it i respect that. but dont say the album sucks....not liking something is one thing. but to say an album from pearl jam sucks is blasphemy, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Kinda only bad thing would be Amongst the Waves, it was suppose to be epic but only passes as good, I had a lot of expectation for it and it doesn't quite fulfill it, but its still a good song.
    :)

:eek:Its my favourite off the album reminds me of MLB or TotD.

And Tribesman i also picked up on the similiarities between Supersonic and Mankind, although that wicked (I can only assume) Stone riff in the middle of it is awesome, hopefully live they will strech it like rearviewmirroror Porch, although they didn't do that when it was played in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Supersonic is a far superior song than Mankind though let's be honest here..Think it's my favourite rocker on there but I really don't get it's placement..It shoulda been the opener..gonna see my friend isn't doing much for me...

• Advertisement

:eek:Its my favourite off the album reminds me of MLB or TotD.

And Tribesman i also picked up on the similiarities between Supersonic and Mankind, although that wicked (I can only assume) Stone riff in the middle of it is awesome, hopefully live they will strech it like rearviewmirroror Porch, although they didn't do that when it was played in London.

i think "amongst the waves" is awesome too. i got to say, "force of nature" is really growing on me though. and "just breathe" is probably my favorite. i really dont understand people who are knocking this album. i found riot act and binaural a whole lot harder to get into than this. but thats just me

yea, its a great song. love the slide effect.

Supersonic is a far superior song than Mankind though let's be honest here..Think it's my favourite rocker on there but I really don't get it's placement..It shoulda been the opener..gonna see my friend isn't doing much for me...

i dont think "mankind" was meant to be taken serious. it was just a goofy stone song. still good, but i see your point.

i think the placement of it is perfect. album starts out fast, then mellows out. then "supersonic" picks it up a notch in the middle. sort of like the placement of "do the evolution"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've just had to delete some posts here. Let me make it clear, anyone posting links to where you can illegally download the new album will be banned for 1 month.

I've just had to delete some posts here. Let me make it clear, anyone posting links to where you can illegally download the new album will be banned for 1 month.

Fair enough, but i can guareentee you 99% of the posters on this board, will be purchasing the physical copy itself on Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That doesn't matter, posting those links is strictly against boards rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Fair enough, but i can guareentee you 99% of the posters on this board, will be purchasing the physical copy itself on Friday!
    Of course, but i'm off on holidays for 2 weeks on Wednesday, so was very happy to be able to have it on my iPod before I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm being patient and waiting:pac:

It is out this Friday yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

playa3 wrote: »
    I'm being patient and waiting:pac:

It is out this Friday yes?

Aye! Looking forward to getting my hands on the physical copy :)

And about Amongst the Waves, I'm sure it will grow on me! Reminds me of Given To Fly so that has to be a good thing! :D

*Hehe looks like dimejinky got a' spanking :P

has anyone heard the similarity between "gonna see my friend" and "black red yellow" yet? almost same guitar riff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Nah can't say I did Tribesman! Tho it reminded me a lot of a 70's stooges-esque riff at the start

Having looked at the lyrics I must say that this album is all coming together and its without doubt the most optimistic of all of PJ's albums. The lyrics are breathtaking. Eddie could go into poetry and he'd kick ass! Particularly with Amongst the Waves, it's kind of like Given to Fly Part 2, of getting through all the **** and (literally) rising above it....and mixed too with Ed's passion of surfing (reminds me of Oceans a wee bit)

I think I finally get Amongst the Waves and it defo is one of the best tracks! :eek: :D

Here's a site with the probable lyrics (a couple are a bit off, but that's what ya get with Ed's voice!) http://backspacerlyricspearljam.blogspot.com/2009/07/unthought-known-lyrics-pearl-jam.html

Sub - thread here.

Just wondering if we could list these songs as im making a mix tape for a friend and i think he would love this selection.

Im thinking

Oceans, Release, Given to Fly, Push Me Pull Me, Whale Song, In The Moonlight, Undone, Man Of The Hour, Big Wave, Amongst The Waves.

Any thing else ye can think of?

Sub - thread here.

Just wondering if we could list these songs as im making a mix tape for a friend and i think he would love this selection.

Im thinking

Oceans, Release, Given to Fly, Push Me Pull Me, Whale Song, In The Moonlight, Undone, Man Of The Hour, Big Wave, Amongst The Waves.

Any thing else ye can think of?

Considering it seems to be a mellow selection surely immortality and Yellow Ledbetter should be on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

NothingMan wrote: »
    Considering it seems to be a mellow selection surely immortality and Yellow Ledbetter should be on there?

And 'I Am Mine'!!!

NothingMan wrote: »

very mellow;). I don't understand your choice of Yellow Ledbetter though. A letter informing his friend of his brother's death (well what i though).

very mellow;). I don't understand your choice of Yellow Ledbetter though. A letter informing his friend of his brother's death (well what i though).

Well it's mellow sounding. I thought it was about Eddie's mom!

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Well it's mellow sounding. I thought it was about Eddie's mom!
    You will actually never find confirmed lyrics for this, and eddie has stated that he tries to use his voice as more of an instrument in this song. and i've heard a couple of live versions were he was clearly not singing the same lyrics at all.
    Is nice that it's open to interpretation by everyone though. Like this one.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

Not in to this BS interpretation myself - no offence dude!

Eddie is a legend and his songs shouldn't be tampered with.

Only thing that's killing me is that I have never seen PJ live.

For now I have to put up with youtube.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

:eek: you must get to see them live!

I'm off to Seattle tomorrow to live the dream... I shall return, hopefully with photos :D

jenizzle wrote: »
    :eek: you must get to see them live!

I'm off to Seattle tomorrow to live the dream... I shall return, hopefully with photos :D

How can you afford all this!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I can't, really! But sure I'll worry about that when I get home :D

good slower songs to put on your list

lowlight
    thumbing my way
    off he goes
    parting ways
    long road
    gone
    just breathe

heading off to america now for 2 weeks. cant wait to listen to backspacer on my travels! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Really liking the new album. :D

Amongst the Waves is a deadly song!!!! My favourite on the new album so far.

I like Johnny Guitar aswell although at times it reminds me of another song that I can't out my finger on. Anyone????

Paleface wrote: »
    Really liking the new album. :D

Amongst the Waves is a deadly song!!!! My favourite on the new album so far.

I like Johnny Guitar aswell although at times it reminds me of another song that I can't out my finger on. Anyone????

+1

****in' A. Amongst The Waves is my fav. And i believe Johnny Guitar is great too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Just after picking up my first physical copy of backspacer there, nice!!

Advertisement