Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Loving this new album. Just quality:D Going to pick up the cd tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Just after picking up my first physical copy of backspacer there, nice!!

How do yo have it a day early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

+ 1?!

Don't worry, only a few more hours... :P

• loving the new album - quality stuff!

also just found this thread, as a massive pearl jam fan gotta say its great to see!

now all we need is a tour date.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

When is it out?

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];62155830]loving the new album - quality stuff!

also just found this thread, as a massive pearl jam fan gotta say its great to see!

now all we need is a tour date.....:D[/QUOTE]

Welcome like-minded friend! ;)

And it's out in 2 hours 20 minutes :)
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Oh btw did anyone see the article in the Examiner about PJ today? The journalist was a twat who didn't know what he was talking about (why bring up that Kurt Cobain feud now FFS?) but it's good to see them getting exposure in Irish media, especially in places where they don't normally find it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

A local music store where i know the owners and work across the road from them. Called in this morning and she told me she would give me one when the delivery came, sweet! Cover is very nice, the middle segment of the cover art is actually the cd sleeve with the brain, and when you pull it out all 5 of the guys are wired up to it!

A trip to HMV is in order today methinks!?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In case it hasn't already been mentioned it's Pearl Jam Day on Phantom today. They are giving out a copy of the new album each hour and playing the Sheperd's Bush gig tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

I am rocking the **** out at my desk to the new album right now. I think I'm going to go punch a supervisor in the face and then peel out of the parking lot in my '72 vette.

Also, someone tell me that my ears are tricking me, and that I do NOT, in fact, hear the use of an auto-tuner on the first line of "Just Breathe".

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Got the new album on the way to work today, already given it two spins.
    Very enjoyable so far.

Been a fan since 96, and was lucky enough to see them live last two occasions they played the point.

Did anyone else buy a binaural t-shirt of the bootleggers in 2001
    outside the gig?
    It had the album cover printed on the front, and the date and venue on the back, still have mine and it’s aged really well.

I've got all PJ's albums, execpt No Code, Binaural and Riot Act. Can someone tell me in an un-biased way, which of these albums is the best to get.

I'm gonna pop down to HMV after work and give the new one a listen.

I've got all PJ's albums, execpt No Code, Binaural and Riot Act. Can someone tell me in an un-biased way, which of these albums is the best to get.

All have something good to offer,
    But I would get Riot act,
    then no code,
    then Binaural,
    in that order.

But worth getting them all!
    Think should all be under a €10 unless they hike up the price on account of the new release.
    Try tower records as well, might get them on offer

Thanks. I lost interest in them with the release of Vitalogy(terrible album), and Yield, which was another poor one. Got back into them with the last one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've got some of PJ's albums

Fixed that for you. Vitalogy has some great tracks on it.

Thanks. I lost interest in them with the release of Vitalogy(terrible album), and Yield, which was another poor one. Got back into them with the last one though.

[FONT=&quot]no way man, yield is brilliant, nearly every track is great, given to fly, can’t fault that song, do the evolution - another great one, might be just personal taste, but I even like the track (RED DOT).

vitalogy is great as well, corduroy, better man, bugs! All great tracks.
    both great records.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code No Code. After that, I'd say Binaural then Riot Act.

Just got it there, packaging is very nice. do the images mean anything?. Which concerts are the ones you can download?

Jip wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. Vitalogy has some great tracks on it.

Don't be so f**king pedantic. Please.:rolleyes:

[FONT=&quot]no way man, yield is brilliant, nearly every track is great, given to fly, can’t fault that song, do the evolution - another great one, might be just personal taste, but I even like the track (RED DOT).

vitalogy is great as well, corduroy, better man, bugs! All great tracks.
    both great records.[/FONT]

IMO, Better man and Spin The Black Circle are the only good songs on Vitalogy. The only interesting thing about that album is the booklet!!

• Advertisement

IMO, Better man and Spin The Black Circle are the only good songs on Vitalogy. The only interesting thing about that album is the booklet!!

Ah we'll agree to differ. The album art is quite good, but unfortunately quite delicate

Got the album.............listening to it now. The artwork is very weird.........very like Tool. The second half of this album is bloody fantastic. The first 6 tracks went by without any of them jumping out of me - including The Fixer.

Got the album.............listening to it now. The artwork is very weird.........very like Tool. The second half of this album is bloody fantastic. The first 6 tracks went by without any of them jumping out of me - including The Fixer.

Aw man, two words... Got Some! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

The artwork is very weird.........very like Tool.
    n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Second day of listening to the album and I have to say it is one of most immediate PJ albums in a long long time.

There are a lot of mainstream influences bubbling under in the album, and none of them in a bad way.

I get some Thin Lizzy from a few tunes, Johnny Guitar in particular.

I get the Clash from a few.

I also get some 80's metal, along the Iron Maiden route, not in terms of being heavy but a large touch of Adrian Smith's guitar playing style from around 1986 (Somewhere In Time)

I love the fact it is a short album too, you can get a quick listen and have no filler at all in it. The doubts I had a few weeks ago about a few tracks off of the album have well and truly been laid to rest once I heard the same songs on the album and not from poor quality live recordings.

I love the fact that the band seem to have brought their A game musically to the album too, making it, in my eyes, a top notch rock album in the broader sense rather than just being a top notch PJ album.

It is also an album that is quite clever in the way it is mixed and produced. There are a lot of nice technical moments (musically) on the album that just compliment the songs so well.

In a month where I have bought too many good albums, if that is possible, it is defo edging ahead in terms of plays. The new albums by Muse, PT, and Megadeth having been put aside for now, with only the most recent album by Big Elf sharing play time with PJ over the last couple of days.

Even my recent Monster Magnet buzz has been put aside.

Next week will be the big test though with the new Alice In Chains album out, and a new Lynyrd Skynyrd album due.

This could really turn into a good Autumn with the releases so far this September and with AIC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rammstein, plus Rob Zombie to come, and maybe even a decent Kiss album to follow in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

I friggen' love baskspacer!

"Supersonic gone and took my soul"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've had a few more days to listen to it, repeatedly.

Loving: Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Supersonic, Force of Nature, The End.

The first four songs are just great. I think they're some of the best songs they've done since Binaural. Force of Nature I wasn't much of a fan of at first, but I've found it's been stuck in my head since I first heard it, so I'm really enjoying it now. Supersonic is just great fun.

Less sure about:
    Just Breathe - the melody irritates me in parts. Not quite sure whether I like it or not. Maybe it's just a grower.
    Amongst the Waves, Unthought Known, Speed of Sound - these are just very same-y to me. Though I think Amongst the Waves sounds like a song that would sound much better live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Just after listening to it at full volume on i102-104 FM and I can not get my head around some people only feeling 'meh' or disliking 'Amongst The Waves'. ITS FOOKIN' BRILLIANT!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

pretty bad review of the album over on pitchfork. only gave it a 4.9.
    It's down to the listener really. What I heard on myspace, there are some great songs and some mediocre ones...will I buy it? I don't know...

• Advertisement

have the new record on constantly since it came out
    best tracks imo opinion are as follow

5. “Just Breathe”
    6. “Amongst The Waves”
    7. “Unthought Known”

cant fault the album

Advertisement