Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Been a fan since secondary school days (93/93) just love the ballads they put together and most of the heavier stuff.

My favourite tracks would come down to
    • Daughter
    • Elderly Woman
    • Betterman
    • Nothingman
    • Rearviewmirror
    • Corduroy

Never got to them in person, I'm not a concert goer but next time they come I'll make it my business to get my ass there. Was it 93 they played Slane ? I wanted to go but the boss (At the time) wouldn't allow her 16 yr old to attend:mad:

Any realistic chance of them coming in the next 12-18 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Just back from Seattle Night 2 - what a set, what a performance!

September 22, 2009 Seattle, Washington, Key Arena

Set List: Sometimes, Why Go, All Night, The Fixer, Dissident, Johnny Guitar, Faithfull, Lukin, Not For You/("Modern Girl" by Sleater-Kinney), No Way, Unthought Known, Unemployable, Comatose, Insignificance, Present Tense, Got Some, Go

1st encore: Just Breathe w/the Octava String Quartet, The End w/the Octava String Quartet, Black, In My Tree, Spin The Black Circle

2nd encore: Supersonic (sung as "SuperSonics" with new lyrics about SuperSonics basketball team), Do The Evolution, The Real Me (by Townshend) w/the Syncopated Taint Horn Quartet, Porch, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star Spangled Banner)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

you were there too? I'm just in from it myself. Tonight was MUCH better than last night! Having such an amazing time out here!

jenizzle wrote: »
    you were there too? I'm just in from it myself. Tonight was MUCH better than last night! Having such an amazing time out here!

You bet your bottom dollar i was...I can't follow the band as much as some peeps here,but if i'm in the neighborhood i make the effort!

Great set huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

F*ck you guys :p I'm very jealous.

How is the new stuff sounding live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

fluke whats Johnny Guitar like live

fluke whats Johnny Guitar like live

Yeah its pretty good live even though I have only briefly got a general feel for that song - I only got the album here on sunday the 20th (it only went on sale that date here) and previous to date the only songs I had heard were the fixer and got some and they were class!! Overall the new stuff is sounding awesome!

I hope that answer you're questions peeps.

I'm just thinking now...the album is so short you could nearly fit all of it into a set and have plenty of room for other stuff!

That set on Tuesday night, they didn't jam so much, but god they were tight. While Monday night was supposed to be good tuesday night was according to some a better set and the band were just on!

new stuff sounds much better live. Amongst The Waves is a little bland though. Johnny Guitar is great, I love the tiny breakdown in the middle! The slower stuff (The End and Just Breathe) are fantastic live, especially in Seattle as they had a few violin players. Tuesday night definitely rocked better than Monday night. I still can't get my head around boring American crowds though :rolleyes:

new stuff sounds much better live. Amongst The Waves is a little bland though. Johnny Guitar is great, I love the tiny breakdown in the middle! The slower stuff (The End and Just Breathe) are fantastic live, especially in Seattle as they had a few violin players. Tuesday night definitely rocked better than Monday night. I still can't get my head around boring American crowds though :rolleyes:

It's funny I'm kind of on the same wavelength there - I met this guy going to the show and afterwards he was like 'yeah the crowd was really into it'! i didn't want to offend him and say they were? I looked around and down at the crowd and a few were fist pumping and singing but sometimes i got so into it i was nearly conscious of those around me been less enthused. Later i couldn't help thinking an Irish (or European) crowd would've given a lot more love towards the band, and with that set!

the age demograph seemed to be 30's & 40's so maybe ye know they were a little less energetic ha ha but still it's Seattle, and Pearl Jam are playing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Have to say.. as qliche as it sounds, I love "Ten".. Apart from the classics.. "Evenflow".."Alive" And my personal favourite "Black" I think its an awesome album :D

• Advertisement

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Have to say.. as qliche as it sounds, I love "Ten".. Apart from the classics.. "Evenflow".."Alive" And my personal favourite "Black" I think its an awesome album :D

Actually i think these days it's more of a cliche to bash Ten, it's like a fashionable statement, but i love it man. Heck i love all the albums, they all have a special place in my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just listening to Backspacer for the first time now.

Liking that the tracks are quite short. They're sounding really tight.

"Got Some" is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to say that Got Some and Just Breathe are really proving to be the standout tracks for me after a week.

In terms of my favourite PJ releases it is settling in nicely at number three, just behind Ten.

Both fall behind Lost Dogs to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ooooh really liking The End too.

This is a damn good album. Happily listen all the way through, no fillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

This is a damn good album. Happily listen all the way through, no fillers.

Exactly, its been getting a fair bit of play from me the last 2 weeks, the real test is much further down the line to see will it still get played. I mean I like avacado, really like some of the songs on that album but I havent given the album itself a spin in at least 18 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

fluke wrote: »
    Actually i think these days it's more of a cliche to bash Ten, it's like a fashionable statement, but i love it man. Heck i love all the albums, they all have a special place in my heart.

Class man :) I also love "Oceans" off that album. Its pretty class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Backspacer has got to number 2 in the album charts! Holy crap that's good :O
    Best of the decade for them methinks (in Ireland anyways) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

can't get into this at all...
    give me riot act or Binaural anyday....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Got the new album Friday and have given it a good few whirls (at 37 mins its not exactly occupying alot of time to give it a listen!) But it sounds decent enough so far, quite similar in content to the last album I feel, but maybe lyrically a bit stronger...I dont know, another few days and I will have decided!

It's still by no means my favourite PJ album (it definitely ranks near the bottom) but I'm still listening to it as I recall the songs I've heard live.

Unthought Known is a great song live btw, puts the studio version to shame. I've heard all but Force of Nature and Speed of Sound live (pretty good going for an album just released methinks!) and all are great live tracks. It still makes me smile how they had trouble starting Got Some at the Euro shows, they seem to have that all sorted out now though.

The trio of Just Breathe into The End into Inside Job was definitely a favourite of mine from the Seattle shows. The crowds in the US are so useless though, damn seats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The crowds in the US are so useless though, damn seats!

+1 My uncle was a guitar tech for a band with some success and he said they are ****in' useless. He made the point though that Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston and New York were decent everytime though.

+1 My uncle was a guitar tech for a band with some success and he said they are ****in' useless. He made the point though that Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston and New York were decent everytime though.

The Canadian crowds are a little better...a little bit anyhow!

MSG last year was good fun, but still doesn't compare to, for example, Berlin this year. I still had a seat there, but it just puts a smile on yer face looking onto the crowd interaction in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Berlin was absolutly epic! Had a seat for that too and the crowd, the band, the venue, the company, the beer, the weather...it just made for an unbelievably epic day!

The new album is good, it's growing on me the more I give it but I still think the ST is better. Inside Job absolutly made that album for me and Comatose whilst on record I don't like too much but live is amazing. Unemployable has a catchy as hell hook too.

I bloody hate Unemployable. I don't really have a rational reasoning for it, it just makes me cringe everytime I hear it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yeah a lot of people hate the song but I love the song! I've always had odd choices of favourite Pearl Jam songs, my top 5 go like this....

1. Love Boat Captain
    2. Inside Job
    3. Faithful
    4. Last Exit
    5. Habit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Just heard Just Breathe on the Tom Dunne show on Newstalk...twas a pleasant suprise on a hungover morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 xYazbombx

Love Pearl Jam.. They where the first real band i ever got into.. Would love to see them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

just got the album yesterday and cant stop listen to it more i listen to it the ore it gets better. been listening to them since they first came out seen them twice hope they come again soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I think the new album is immense. 10/10 for me.

Advertisement