Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I was listening to the album while on a bus backpacking in Croatia, and it was so perfect it gave me goose bumps. I'm getting goosebumps now just thinking about it, but I think that's cos someone opened the window in the office cos I kept farting. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just got given the album as a present from a housemate. So cool. Shall be listened much over next while I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Backspacer has converted two friends of mine.

What should i give them next, im thinking Yield, cause its when that album came out i became batsh1t mad about Pearl Jam.
    After that im thinking Vitalogy. Then after that im thinking of basing it on their favourites from said album i.e if they say Tremor Christ or Spin i'll give them Vs., if they say Satan's Bed or Immortality i'll give 'em Binaural, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The End...that is all. Have listened to it about 15 times, its beautiful. Not dissing the rest of the album, because its really amazing, but this song just grabbed me and hooked me straight in.

Eddie, I salute you, and am honoured to be bale to hear this music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Absolute classic rock, a london radio station is broadcasting the o2 gig this evenin at 7, it can be heard on their web site!!

• Advertisement

Left out Light Years and Got Some so far as well as pretty much all the inter song talking, and now playing Hail Hail twice so far lol! Its still great to relive the show, lying back in the apartment with a drink and no distractions, but cannot wait for the euro boots to come along!

Looking forward to the rest of the encore's!

EDIT: Love Reign O'er Me cut out :mad:
    Beginning of Betterman cut
    Leavin Here left!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

Thanks for the heads up Redmosquito , listening to it and recording it on the sky+ box . Bringing back goog memories .

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Loving this album. every song is brilliant & Eddie's lyrics are inspiring.
    If I had to pick a favourite it would be "Unthought Known" followed closely by "The End". Saw them 4 times on the avocado tour & I'm kicking myself I did'nt catch them in London or Manchester this time around. The best band in the world... Viva Pearl Jam.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm loving all the support for the guys here! We should keep it up and get a good party goin' when they play here next!

jenizzle wrote: »
    I'm loving all the support for the guys here! We should keep it up and get a good party goin' when they play here next!

Im amazed this thread has lasted this long and this many posts, any pearl jam threads before died down quickly! Its good to see all the different fans that have been here! Boards pearl jam party next time they're here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Im amazed this thread has lasted this long and this many posts, any pearl jam threads before died down quickly! Its good to see all the different fans that have been here! Boards pearl jam party next time they're here!!!

Definitely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'm sorry lads, I've been a devoted PJ fan since the early 90's and I've traveled far and wide to see them but Backspacer for me shines the end of the PJ and the end of an era :(

I understand that every artist has to evolve but much like the last album this album for me has no heart in it at all. Take a listen to Ten, Vs or Vitalogy and it grabs you by the balls, twists your emotions, swallows you whole and spits you back out screaming F**K yeah!!. Cant be said about Backspacer for me, not to mention Eddies voice is fooked but that is completely understandable and forgivable given the 5 great albums they gave us.

Just my thoughts anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Feelgood wrote: »
    I'm sorry lads, I've been a devoted PJ fan since the early 90's and I've traveled far and wide to see them but Backspacer for me shines the end of the PJ and the end of an era :(

I understand that every artist has to evolve but much like the last album this album for me has no heart in it at all. Take a listen to Ten, Vs or Vitalogy and it grabs you by the balls, twists your emotions, swallows you whole and spits you back out screaming F**K yeah!!. Cant be said about Backspacer for me, not to mention Eddies voice is fooked but that is completely understandable and forgivable given the 5 great albums they gave us.

Just my thoughts anyways :)

Aww, that sucks that you don't appreciate anything after yield, especially considering how Lost Dogs had some old stuff on it and was one of their best albums. Definitely changed but still as epic as ever. Cannot agree with you on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

NothingMan wrote: »
    Aww, that sucks that you don't appreciate anything after yield, especially considering how Lost Dogs had some old stuff on it and was one of their best albums. Definitely changed but still as epic as ever. Cannot agree with you on this one.

Your right actually Lost Dogs was epic!. I don't really count that as a studio album though :)

I understand the change completely I just don't think they managed to pull it off, I might be hated for saying it though PJ seem to have evolved into U2 in the last few years :(

Obviously they have gotten older and they don't have the same anger and heart that they had in the 90's, settled with kids etc. The music is bound to change as they get older.., but for me there just isn't any effort in there anymore. Its like they are following a formula or something. Like if you take the Into the Wild soundtrack, an awesome album which was hugely popular among people who never even heard of PJ. Is it just me or are there at least 3 songs on the Backspacer album that sound like they could be on the ITW soundtrack? :confused:

Thats what I'm talking about, its like they said hey people like this stuff so lets follow this formula type thing. Again I'm probably completely solo on my thoughts here....

1991:
    "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine"

2009:
    "Got Some if you need it"

:D I just dont get it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Feelgood wrote: »
    Your right actually Lost Dogs was epic!. I don't really count that as a studio album though :)

I understand the change completely I just don't think they managed to pull it off, I might be hated for saying it though PJ seem to have evolved into U2 in the last few years :(

Obviously they have gotten older and they don't have the same anger and heart that they had in the 90's, settled with kids etc. The music is bound to change as they get older.., but for me there just isn't any effort in there anymore. Its like they are following a formula or something. Like if you take the Into the Wild soundtrack, an awesome album which was hugely popular among people who never even heard of PJ. Is it just me or are there at least 3 songs on the Backspacer album that sound like they could be on the ITW soundtrack? :confused:

Thats what I'm talking about, its like they said hey people like this stuff so lets follow this formula type thing. Again I'm probably completely solo on my thoughts here....

1991:
    "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine"

2009:
    "Got Some if you need it"

:D I just dont get it!.

fair enough you don't like the album, but the comparison to '91 Pj and '09 PJ... things have changed as you noted, eddie's vocals have changed but to me this new record is more about the melody than the lyrics, it really their sparky album. It's not as intense as Ten, or Vs. but it just sounds like a band saying eff it were not angry, let's just have fun. No point in being happy and write miserable songs, then it's just contrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

pearl jam playing LA joined onstage by Chris Cornell for Hunger Strike off the temple of the dog album. poor quality video but must have been cool to be there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=018OCGWjDpo

It's nice to hear a slight improvement in Chris' voice, the last note is cringy but he did well up till then (definitly better than yerman from Wolfmother who crucified it)! The joys of Pearl Jam shows :)

It's nice to hear a slight improvement in Chris' voice, the last note is cringy but he did well up till then (definitly better than yerman from Wolfmother who crucified it)! The joys of Pearl Jam shows :)

He did butcher it to an extent but I have to say, it was still awesome seeing it live (plus you can hear me on the barcelona boot! :p ) But how i wish i was there last night (and knowing a guy there for the 4 shows : jealousy!), but on top of that Jerry Cantrell tearing up Alive, fudge me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i love this time of year. its vitalogy, vs. and lost dogs time of the year. does anyone else listen to certain pearl jam albums depending on the season? or maybe im just nuts :D

ps, is anyone in here from galway? we might have to arrange a meet up for some drinks and discussion of backspacer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was very close to booking flights to Philadelphia for the first of the four night run at the Spectrum, there's still tickets available but when I went back to check the flights they'd jumped up another €250. That was the dealbreaker....:o

• Advertisement

Another brilliant setlist from the last of the LA shows last night.

I actually don't listen to a lot of PJ anymore, but I think I'm gonna have to put Binaural on for the dismal month of December :D

I was very close to booking flights to Philadelphia for the first of the four night run at the Spectrum, there's still tickets available but when I went back to check the flights they'd jumped up another €250. That was the dealbreaker....:o

i was born in philadelphia, pa and lived there and the suburbs until i moved here 2 years ago. ive seen pearl jam at the spectrum 2 times. they always put a good show on there

i love this time of year. its vitalogy, vs. and lost dogs time of the year. does anyone else listen to certain pearl jam albums depending on the season? or maybe im just nuts :D

ps, is anyone in here from galway? we might have to arrange a meet up for some drinks and discussion of backspacer

I am a Galway man myself and i can tell you the group over on the galway city forum arrange drinks every now and again, which im sure you'd be welcome to come too!

Maybe not season's but mood and weather detrmine what album i listen too. Today looking down Threadneedle Road onto Galway bay on a beautiful day in our perfect city Yield is on atm In Hiding, then maybe Binaural. But I usually just listen to live boots all the time.

Yield definitely compliments my mood a lot more these days. I <3 it :D Binaural suited me perfectly when I used to commute from Meath to Dublin every day, used to get woken up by the typewriter as the bus got into O'Connell St!

I am a Galway man myself and i can tell you the group over on the galway city forum arrange drinks every now and again, which im sure you'd be welcome to come too!

Maybe not season's but mood and weather detrmine what album i listen too. Today looking down Threadneedle Road onto Galway bay on a beautiful day in our perfect city Yield is on atm In Hiding, then maybe Binaural. But I usually just listen to live boots all the time.

cool, ill have to check out that area of the forum.

was just in galway city yesterday and also on the threadneedle road. its a beautiful area. sat outside the whiskey bar on shop street and nursed a few connemara peated single malts. was wishing some pearl jam would be played in the streets. i saw a kid walk by with an alive stickman shirt and wanted to yell over, lol. i was just home in america visiting the parents and brought back all my bootlegs. i forgot how much i missed them. the state college, PA 2003 one is class. it was their longest concert ever until the famous boston one where they did about 44 songs. opened up with an 11 or so song acoustic set. then came back and did 33 songs for their normal set. the numbers might not be exact, but imagine being there for that! on the state college one, eddie is pissed out of his mind and attempts to sing "satans bed." its hilarious

Yield definitely compliments my mood a lot more these days. I <3 it :D Binaural suited me perfectly when I used to commute from Meath to Dublin every day, used to get woken up by the typewriter as the bus got into O'Connell St!

When i travel during the day i like Binaural, then traveling at night i like Riot Act. Im originally from Dublin (my father lives there) so when i go up i can only listen to Vitalogy, twilight to starlight off Melon Collie by Smashing Pumpkins but particularly Audioslave's Out Of Exile and Jeff Buckley's Grace. Im mad like that, i can only listen to Alice In Chains 'Dirt' in Athenry, Pixies '@ the BBC' walking with a cigarette, Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust' in my friend's car. etc, . Im a bit daft i know!

cool, ill have to check out that area of the forum.

was just in galway city yesterday and also on the threadneedle road. its a beautiful area. sat outside the whiskey bar on shop street and nursed a few connemara peated single malts. was wishing some pearl jam would be played in the streets.

Sweet as, man!
    i saw a kid walk by with an alive stickman shirt and wanted to yell over, lol.

I do it all the time, sh1t man im telling ya i've crossed the road to do it a few times ha ha:pac::pac::P.
    i was just home in america visiting the parents and brought back all my bootlegs. i forgot how much i missed them. the state college, PA 2003 one is class. it was their longest concert ever until the famous boston one where they did about 44 songs. opened up with an 11 or so song acoustic set. then came back and did 33 songs for their normal set. the numbers might not be exact, but imagine being there for that! on the state college one, eddie is pissed out of his mind and attempts to sing "satans bed." its hilarious

The MA gig in 2003 is feckin' spectacular, best version of Jeremy i've ever heard since the '95 remix. Mindblowing!

Sweet as, man!

I do it all the time, sh1t man im telling ya i've crossed the road to do it a few times ha ha:pac::pac::P.

The MA gig in 2003 is feckin' spectacular, best version of Jeremy i've ever heard since the '95 remix. Mindblowing!

how come i never encounter people like you when i am out? whenever me and the wife go out, we always come across people who listen to ****ty club music and basically people i have nothing in common with. its pretty sad, ive been living in ireland for like 2 years and have no real friends aside from my wife, lol.

dirt in athenry....%ucking love that. i busted out mad season's above last week. "river of deceit" almost brings a tear to my eye. layne staley's voice is spine tingling epic

how come i never encounter people like you when i am out? whenever me and the wife go out, we always come across people who listen to ****ty club music and basically people i have nothing in common with. its pretty sad, ive been living in ireland for like 2 years and have no real friends aside from my wife, lol.

dirt in athenry....%ucking love that. i busted out mad season's above last week. "river of deceit" almost brings a tear to my eye. layne staley's voice is spine tingling epic

I honestly didn't mean anything underlining with that Dirt Athenry statment.:D A friend from Athenry first played me that album.:o

Mad Season was a bit meh for me personally, still very good but i had built it up too much b4 i bought (or even heard) it. I do adore 'I'm Above' though. "How is it that you feel so uneasy, how is it that i feel fine? Life reveals what is dealt through seasons, the circle comes around each time. " Love it!!!

If these people are on your tits with their poor music taste i suggest you change you pub situation, try cellar, blue note, massimo, 903, front door, buskers etc. Although Kilkerrin i went out with a chick from out there up Glenamaddy, you're a bit out.
    P.S Nearly every cover band in Galway plays some Pearl Jam (including my own :D ). That i am positive of (although it's usually Evenflow). Although KIF played 'Evolution' on more than one occasion for me. I got the Long Road out of dude b4 too.

• Advertisement

I honestly didn't mean anything underlining with that Dirt Athenry statment.:D A friend from Athenry first played me that album.:o

Mad Season was a bit meh for me personally, still very good but i had built it up too much b4 i bought (or even heard) it. I do adore 'I'm Above' though. "How is it that you feel so uneasy, how is it that i feel fine? Life reveals what is dealt through seasons, the circle comes around each time. " Love it!!!

If these people are on your tits with their poor music taste i suggest you change you pub situation, try cellar, blue note, massimo, 903, front door, buskers etc. Although Kilkerrin i went out with a chick from out there up Glenamaddy, you're a bit out.
    P.S Nearly every cover band in Galway plays some Pearl Jam (including my own :D ). That i am positive of (although it's usually Evenflow). Although KIF played 'Evolution' on more than one occasion for me. I got the Long Road out of dude b4 too.

yea, it blows being this far away from the city. we rarely go because its about an hour depending on traffic. and then we usually have to spend the night because a cab is out of the question. i will have to check those places out. what is the name of your cover band? i saw a decent band before at the kings head. did a lot of pink floyd, some keane, u2, kaiser chiefs etc.. cant remember their name though. do any cover bands ever venture out my way?

Advertisement