Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

sirmoff wrote: »
    Just thought i'd add my two cents, Massive PJ Fan here, think this is a great thread. Really enjoyed reading through the messages. Its rare enough that you'd get to hear peoples opinions on the band. Im lucky as two of my close mates are big fans too. All because we found (stole off one of the lads older brothers) a cassette of Vs. as kids and listened to it one night gettin ready to go out. Legends!
    My mother really loves Last Kiss!!!

my dad is obsessed with "last kiss" and my mom loves evenflow, alive, jeremy, daughter, small town, betterman...**** she likes a lot. they are both 57 too, lol

i remember my older bro bought me the tape of vs. when i was a kid. i listened to it until it exploded. along with ten. then i made the jump up to cd for vitalogy, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

sirmoff wrote: »
    Just thought i'd add my two cents, Massive PJ Fan here, think this is a great thread. Really enjoyed reading through the messages. Its rare enough that you'd get to hear peoples opinions on the band. Im lucky as two of my close mates are big fans too. All because we found (stole off one of the lads older brothers) a cassette of Vs. as kids and listened to it one night gettin ready to go out. Legends!
    My mother really loves Last Kiss!!!

You're lucky. A lot of my mates have some pre ordained aversion to them. One in particular apparently can't stand Eddies voice, yet loves bands like Alterbridge and likes Creed, who basically copy Eddies sound.

I know it's just because they aren't as enlightened as you or I, but it's annoying at a party when you try on stick on anything not from Ten.

Strangely enough I just had backspacer blasting out at a BBQ in September and didn't say who it was and a few people were like "this is really good, who is it?". All I could do is shake my head and say "It's that really ****e band you never listen to but don't like."

NothingMan wrote: »
    You're lucky. A lot of my mates have some pre ordained aversion to them. One in particular apparently can't stand Eddies voice, yet loves bands like Alterbridge and likes Creed, who basically copy Eddies sound.

I know it's just because they aren't as enlightened as you or I, but it's annoying at a party when you try on stick on anything not from Ten.

Strangely enough I just had backspacer blasting out at a BBQ in September and didn't say who it was and a few people were like "this is really good, who is it?". All I could do is shake my head and say "It's that really ****e band you never listen to but don't like."

what i found in america is that people who dont like pearl jam are the ones who never bought the albums. Ten and Vs were played SO MUCH on the radio. vitalogy a good amount, but when no code came out they were played nowhere near as much. i find it hilarious that those people called pearl jam sell outs, lol. i think pearl jams music has gotten better with age. all great bands evolve with the time, eg the beatles. but yea, i think thats the reason. so many guys have tried to mimic vedder's voice. it gets me so mad when people say vs. was their last great album! i was lucky back home though...had quite a few friends who liked them as much as me. but lots of people laughed at me for liking them. meanwhile they listen to **** EMO and pop punk rock.

the moral of the story...its ok if you dont "like" pearl jam. to each their own. but if you dont at least respect them, i think its pretty safe to say you know nothing about music. lol

i find it hilarious that those people called pearl jam sell outs.

I remember about 8 years ago when I was just a little scruffy kid hanging round Dublin there were a bunch or hardcore "Grungers" that hated Pearl Jam for selling out.

So you have 2 really successfull albums and then start producing music that a lot of people don't like or get,
    you refuse to play Ticketmaster venues for years,
    and you rarely make a music video.

So you're selling less records and staying somewhat off the radar, but you must be a sellout because despite all this you're still really popular.

Watch out there new bands, don't let too many people love your music, because that's selling out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sirmoff

I love when they play pearl jam on the radio cos ya know theres at least one person out there who will be enlightened! I know a female friend of mine who only three months ago heard No Code playing in my car and since then she's bought three albums.
    It was one of those situations where she'd heard of pearl jam but had never heard their music and just figured they were another hard rock band! Pffft! Typical! Glad to have converted one though! Feel like ive done my bit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

just had a random thought...i bet you pearl jam is playing jools holland. its on episode 5 of 10 now. they played jools when self titled came out. fingers crossed...has anyone seen anything on their website about it?

Nope, not a mention of it yet so I don't think it's happening. There was lots of notice about it when it happenend the last time. I hate Corinne Bailey Rae for having such a "who's the crazy guy?!" look on her face when Ed danced with her during Alive.

I remember about 8 years ago when I was just a little scruffy kid hanging round Dublin there were a bunch or hardcore "Grungers" that hated Pearl Jam for selling out.

So you have 2 really successfull albums and then start producing music that a lot of people don't like or get,
    you refuse to play Ticketmaster venues for years,
    and you rarely make a music video.

So you're selling less records and staying somewhat off the radar, but you must be a sellout because despite all this you're still really popular.

Watch out there new bands, don't let too many people love your music, because that's selling out!

i know. they did the exact OPPOSITE of sell out. people are idiots. i just like pearl jam's attitude of you either like it or dont. they dont change what they do to suit people. they do what THEY want which is why i love them.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Nope, not a mention of it yet so I don't think it's happening. There was lots of notice about it when it happenend the last time. I hate Corinne Bailey Rae for having such a "who's the crazy guy?!" look on her face when Ed danced with her during Alive.

yea screw her. she should be grateful for being graced with his presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

I read somewhere that Corinne Bailey Rae was a big Pearl Jam fan back in the Ten days & alive was her favourite song, she used to be in a rock/indie type band before she went solo. I just think she could'nt believe her luck that eddie was dancing with her lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

BOW BEFORE HIM WENCH!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

hahaha!!:D

btw we met in Baker's back in '05, Given to Fly tattoo am i right?
    Im the dude who saw them when i was 12, you couldn't get over my luck!

todays pearl jam cd: 2000 milan, italy. great boot. i wish i had the other 2000 italy boot (i think rome) where they did "i got you." one of my favorite covers

BOW BEFORE HIM WENCH!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

hahaha!!:D

btw we met in Baker's back in '05, Given to Fly tattoo am i right?
    Im the dude who saw them when i was 12, you couldn't get over my luck!

:eek: How the hell did you remember that?!

I have no recollection of that! Did you go to my college?

If I had a few drinks on me, I now apologise for the Pearl Jam rant that no doubtedly went on! It must've been early '06 cos I only got the tattoo that Jan/Feb! That was a regular occurance for me though - get drunk, find some poor unfortunate who had ever heard of Pearl Jam (didn't matter if they liked them or not, but god love the fecker that thought they split up after the release of Ten) and rant about them for about 3 hours. I'm so proud of myself :cool:

By Bakers, do you mean Bakers corner? ie... did you go to IADT, cos I sure as hell did.

I went to Diddily-IADT! DL141 class of '06, yo!:P

I went to Diddily-IADT! DL141 class of '06, yo!:P

DL132 Class of 2006. Crazy! :eek:

Infact i'm the guy in the bottom pic, on the left with the guitar on this page

**** yea i did!

DL141 2005-2007 (Transferred to Galway after).

I started an ill-fated 'IADT Pearl Jam appreciation club' in 05/06 there that like two people turned up to!

jENIZZLE I think it might have even been at the college ball! And i think we have all in extremely tipsy states explained to someone (who didn't give two ****s) for hours on end why their life is empty and meaning-less cause they don't listen to evey single Pearl Jam recording on constant rotation!

haha!:)

Man this is mad. If only you were there too Tribesman instead of crummy America! ;)

DL132 Class of 2006. Crazy! :eek:

Infact i'm the guy in the bottom pic, on the left with the guitar on this page

Dude, just after gandering on your facebook, we met in the chapel and bakers ****in' loads of times!

Man this is mad. If only you were there too Tribesman instead of crummy America! ;)

lol, i know right. i always said i was meant to be born in the UK or Ireland. i find nothing interesting about america, aside from the revolutionary war and the founding fathers. all the rest is, well, crummy lol

• Advertisement

not only did i start this wonderful thread, i brought people together via use of facebook, lol. i think someone owes me a whiskey :)

not only did i start this wonderful thread, i brought people together via use of facebook, lol. i think someone owes me a whiskey :)

Well deserved.

Jack_Daniels_Whiskey.jpg

Well deserved.

Jack_Daniels_Whiskey.jpg

actually, i prefer irish whiskey or scotch. but ill take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

mmmmmmmmmmmm

I can only assume that will be me! hahahahah!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

haha this is so random! This should've happened 3 years ago though, college would've been so much cooler :P

Oh god, it's actually all coming back to me! The only time I remember talking to someone about PJ was at a college night out in someplace in town, and I was so excited to meet someone who liked PJ that I got my friend (or someone!) to take a photo of us! Must have a look to see if I still have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

After being in London for a few days, with only Backspacer to listen to for most of it(as in, 3 of the 4 days), I've realised that I'm not sick of it, and it is even more solid all over. Up there with my favourites of the year easily(would it be any different?). Wish I got to see them this year though.

I can only assume that will be me! hahahahah!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

i was hoping for a whiskey from all 3 of ya, lol. i guess that would be hard to arrange with 2 of ya in dublin

i was hoping for a whiskey from all 3 of ya, lol. i guess that would be hard to arrange with 2 of ya in dublin

Say Athlone pub at about 7pm so.

• Advertisement

Say Athlone pub at about 7pm so.

lol, the true "halfway house"

Advertisement