Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Yeah I'd be interested as well actually! :)

Last music book I read was Scar Tissue by Tony Kiedis. Don't rate the man musically, but **** he's had an interesting life!

I read Five Against One a few years back. It covers their previous bands (Green River, Mother Love Bone, Bad Radio etc.) to their beginning right to just before Yield is released.

It's a serviceable read and has some interesting bits in it, goes into Eddie's formative years quite a bit, and the Dave A. period too!

Incidentally there is a lot from Ed's stepfather and Dave A. on it, which sorta warps the book a bit as their history with people in the band may not be considered objective.

I don't think there has been a definitive Pearl Jam book yet though, and am glad Ed hasn't done a Scar Tissue job yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

fluke wrote: »
    I read Five Against One a few years back. It covers their previous bands (Green River, Mother Love Bone, Bad Radio etc.) to their beginning right to just before Yield is released.

It's a serviceable read and has some interesting bits in it, goes into Eddie's formative years quite a bit, and the Dave A. period too!

Incidentally there is a lot from Ed's stepfather and Dave A. on it, which sorta warps the book a bit as their history with people in the band may not be considered objective.

I don't think there has been a definitive Pearl Jam book yet though, and am glad Ed hasn't done a Scar Tissue job yet

Yeah, and then sold the rights for a fecking tv show :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Mike McCready interview on planetrock radio at 10pm if anyone wants to hear it. He talks about playing new songs from backspacer next summer.

What did Mike say anyway? and what do people think of soundgarden gettin back together? i'm delighted! while it may mean pj goin on hiatus for a bit, we'l stil get to see them live here in june. and we may get to see a soundgarden gig! heck what about a pj,sg,and aic tour?! ok,i'm gettin too excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Mike said that their working on unreleased stuff from backspacer and tryin to make them into songs they can play next summer on tour!! Pretty excellent

• Advertisement

Mike said that their working on unreleased stuff from backspacer and tryin to make them into songs they can play next summer on tour!! Pretty excellent

Great news! we might hear them first in ireland :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Don't get too excited to hear the new-new stuff in Ireland, as we've yet to hear Backspacer stuff at all here (unless yer like me and will take any excuse to leave the country and go see 'em :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well they had all this Big 4 talk for trash metal....now about something on the 3 best grunge bands playing together? One can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

jenizzle wrote: »
    Don't get too excited to hear the new-new stuff in Ireland, as we've yet to hear Backspacer stuff at all here (unless yer like me and will take any excuse to leave the country and go see 'em :P)

But Dublin & Belfast are the first 2 shows in Europe so good chance. Did hear The Fixer, Got Some and Supersonic in London though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

What did Mike say anyway? and what do people think of soundgarden gettin back together? i'm delighted! while it may mean pj goin on hiatus for a bit, we'l stil get to see them live here in june. and we may get to see a soundgarden gig! heck what about a pj,sg,and aic tour?! ok,i'm gettin too excited :D

On other threads people are saying Soundgarden are playing Download......what about Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Pearl Jam in the O2 next June?...Would Matt Cameron be able for it?

• Advertisement

On other threads people are saying Soundgarden are playing Download......what about Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Pearl Jam in the O2 next June?...Would Matt Cameron be able for it?

If that happened and I didn't have a ticket, I'd actually die :(

I could defo see a gig with PJ, SG and AIC (and maybe STP) this year, prob in Seattle or somewhere in America... The demand would be unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i just heard some old codger play an eddie vedder song on RTE Radio 1 in his country set, charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Hello all...haven't posted here before coz site got blocked a while ago in work, and just realised I can use my phone :) but I can't do paragraphs, sorry! Well the week of the tickets was a nightmare, didn't manage to get them on O2 or Ten Club (gave up after 2 hours of torture) but got them the Friday on Ticketmaster. All I really wanna say is I can't wait! And I hope the unfortunate ones get sorted, I know how it feels. And I really want to hear them play Sad. This post is prob all over the place

Hello all...haven't posted here before coz site got blocked a while ago in work, and just realised I can use my phone :) but I can't do paragraphs, sorry! Well the week of the tickets was a nightmare, didn't manage to get them on O2 or Ten Club (gave up after 2 hours of torture) but got them the Friday on Ticketmaster. All I really wanna say is I can't wait! And I hope the unfortunate ones get sorted, I know how it feels. And I really want to hear them play Sad. This post is prob all over the place

Ah twasn't really! :D Sad is awesome, would love to hear it live (followed by Other Side!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Great news! we might hear them first in ireland :)

To be honest that sounds awful, I'm all for hearing new music, but certainly wouldn't want to finally get to see PJ and be presented with mashed together tracks that didn't actually make an album ????
    Considering I haven't really even gotten into Backspacer thus far.......but I'm sure I will......

I'd only consider STP if Weiland has actually gotten his act together, though I haven't read of any falling into drum kit issues on the last set of dates ???

would certainly be a big draw and I think that both PJ and Soundgarden could easily sell the O2 on their own.....

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

NIBBS wrote: »
    To be honest that sounds awful, I'm all for hearing new music, but certainly wouldn't want to finally get to see PJ and be presented with mashed together tracks that didn't actually make an album ????
    Considering I haven't really even gotten into Backspacer thus far.......but I'm sure I will......

I'd only consider STP if Weiland has actually gotten his act together, though I haven't read of any falling into drum kit issues on the last set of dates ???

would certainly be a big draw and I think that both PJ and Soundgarden could easily sell the O2 on their own.....

prepare yourself, because pearl jam makes a habit (no pun intended) out of playing crazy set lists. sure, hits will always make it in, but sometimes its a rarities show. like back in october of 2005 in philly. thats why i love pearl jam. they dont play want the fans want to hear, they play what THEY want to play.

Yer gonna be in for a surprise so :P

From the '06 show in Dublin they played Education, Crazy Mary and ****in' Up - all of which didn't make a Pearl Jam album as such.

Every Pearl Jam show is different. They've never played the same setlist twice. They could play ANYTHING... and certainly are not a band to turn up and play just the "hits".

"mashed together tracks that didnt actually make an album." man, how long have you been listening to pearl jam? you should probably sell your ticket to someone who actually appreciates the band. they have a ****load of awesome b-sides which are good enough to make an album. the reason most are omitted is because they dont fit on the album because of style. not to mention their bottomless pit of cover songs. if you want to hear daughter, jeremy, alive and corduroy, just turn on the radio

and i dont quite understand how people havent gotten into backspacer yet? have you actually listened to the album? i think its brilliant and to the point. by far the easiest to get into since Yield, IMO. nothing really experimental, just classic pearl jam

I'm not a great lover of all of Backspacer, doesn't make me any less of a fan though :p It's by no means a classic for me.

• Advertisement

I'm not a great lover of all of Backspacer, doesn't make me any less of a fan though :p It's by no means a classic for me.

you traveled 10,000 miles to see a pj concert. i think your fan status has been solidified in gold. i have a tough time traveling an hour to see a band, lol.

Bump.

Alison Curtis on Today FM is having Pearl Jam-uary this month, playing a PJ song every night. Text in with your requests! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

you traveled 10,000 miles to see a pj concert. i think your fan status has been solidified in gold. i have a tough time traveling an hour to see a band, lol.

I don't claim to be the most dedicated PJ fan in the world, and I think I didn't put my point across very well.......

but to me Backspacer isn't one of their best albums, and although I've no problem with rarities, and a nice sprinkling of b-sides and odd tracks in a setlist - I really wouldn't be mad about hearing a full setlist of tracks that haven't made b-sides yet, I'd think differently if it they were coming out saying they had so much amazing material for Backspacer and they were going to show people what it was - but if that were the case maybe they should have released a double album ?
    either way it's only an opinion so it means nothing.......I've no problem with a band playing what the want either.......

I've travelled all over Europe to see some of my favourite bands - and I always try to get to a gig or two anywhere I travel.........so at least I'd travel further than an hour away to see bands :P (only kidding).....

Makes no difference in the end, I'm going to finally get to see them - so that is the most important thing - the composition of the setlist isn't, and who know's I may love the songs that didn't make the album....:)

^ Some of my favourite tracks are B-sides!

Undone, Hold On, Crazy Mary, Yellow Ledbetter, Sad, Other Side, Down... So much quality :)

I don't claim to be the most dedicated PJ fan in the world, and I think I didn't put my point across very well.......

but to me Backspacer isn't one of their best albums, and although I've no problem with rarities, and a nice sprinkling of b-sides and odd tracks in a setlist - I really wouldn't be mad about hearing a full setlist of tracks that haven't made b-sides yet, I'd think differently if it they were coming out saying they had so much amazing material for Backspacer and they were going to show people what it was - but if that were the case maybe they should have released a double album ?
    either way it's only an opinion so it means nothing.......I've no problem with a band playing what the want either.......

I've travelled all over Europe to see some of my favourite bands - and I always try to get to a gig or two anywhere I travel.........so at least I'd travel further than an hour away to see bands :P (only kidding).....

Makes no difference in the end, I'm going to finally get to see them - so that is the most important thing - the composition of the setlist isn't, and who know's I may love the songs that didn't make the album....:)

yea, who really gives a ****. at the end of the day, you like what you like, and thats all the matters. i used to be OBSESSED with ten and i rarely listen to it anymore. maybe once a year in the spring or summer. seems over-produced to me. i think you just have to give backspacer time. its still new. 5 years from now it might be one of your favorites. and if it isnt, who cares. i grew fond of it quite quickly because it reminded me of no code and yield, which are my 2 favorite albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Ten is slightly overproduced but that was the "in" thing at the time,look at Nevermind,Superunknown etc but its stil a cracking album and out of all the albums Ive ever listened to that would be my "desert island" album hands down.
    Ive seen the boys 4 times and its true that their setlists are are far from predictable which IMO is fantastic.
    Seen them in Wembley arena in 2007 and they didnt play many of what i would consider their big hits but they played some cracking unusual little gems and songs that they rarely play live which really is what its all about IMO.
    couldnt get Dublin tix(10 club or t/master) so roll on Belfast!!!

Ten is slightly overproduced but that was the "in" thing at the time,look at Nevermind,Superunknown etc but its stil a cracking album and out of all the albums Ive ever listened to that would be my "desert island" album hands down.
    Ive seen the boys 4 times and its true that their setlists are are far from predictable which IMO is fantastic.
    Seen them in Wembley arena in 2007 and they didnt play many of what i would consider their big hits but they played some cracking unusual little gems and songs that they rarely play live which really is what its all about IMO.
    couldnt get Dublin tix(10 club or t/master) so roll on Belfast!!!

i think when i was 18-22, TEN would have been my desert island album. but my tastes have changed and i lean towards more laid back songs these days. that was the sound at the time though. 90-94 was ruled by heavy, dark grunge. i used to be all about aggression and speed. i still like that stuff, but more laid back music is better on a daily basis for me now. i listen to anything from slayer to classical music, so i pretty much like it all. aside from rap, emo, pop country, r&b, top 40 etc... ok, so i pretty much dont like it all, lol

There are tickets appearing in Ticketmaster for the Dublin show randomly - keep an eye out. I may also have a spare or two going.

Also, Pearl Jem are playing on Saturday in Dundalk. Anyone going? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

so is there any definitive answer to who's is playing support guys? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Yer gonna be in for a surprise so :P

From the '06 show in Dublin they played Education, Crazy Mary and ****in' Up - all of which didn't make a Pearl Jam album as such.

Every Pearl Jam show is different. They've never played the same setlist twice. They could play ANYTHING... and certainly are not a band to turn up and play just the "hits".

in the last point show they also played "the boys are back in town" with eddies custom lyrics: "dah dah dah da do dah dah" :p

what a gig!!

Advertisement