Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Similar price on amazon. I can't wait to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I got the book myself today in HMV. Its class:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Sure is quiet. Everyone busy reading the book?

It's excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

still waiting on mine :(

hopefully it will be at home this evening. if not i'll buy it tomorrow and read after the movie.

still waiting on mine :(

hopefully it will be at home this evening. if not i'll buy it tomorrow and read after the movie.

Having seen the film I can tell you you're better off seeing the film first. The book fleshes it all out.

Also, the DVD is on presale at amazon but personally I'd hang on for the tenclub edition. 4 hours extra footage and a cut of the film called the kids are twenty. Just performances very little interviews. That'll be cool to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

I came across a really cool app on iTunes earlier which Id imagine would be of great interest to some people here.
    Its called PJStatTracker and provides stats on more or less every PJ live show,set lists,locations,amount of times songs played etc. One really good feature of it is that it lets you add the shows that you have been to yourself and then provides stats for those too and you earn trophies depending on the amount of shows you have seen.
    Ive only seen them 5 times but for the likes of Jenizzle and some others here who have seen them many more times then this app is a must have me thinks.

Enjoy ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Ah, I'm anti-Apple though :D I do, however, have my spreadsheet up to date :rolleyes::cool:

Very excited about tomorrow!

Yup,looking forward to tomorrow night myself too,only 25 and a half hours to go(or there abouts!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

24 hours, 16 minutes and counting :pac:. Heard so much good things and I'd say the atmosphere will be great.

NothingMan wrote: »
    24 hours, 16 minutes and counting :pac:. Heard so much good things and I'd say the atmosphere will be great.

We're watching Malfunkshun:the Andrew Wood story right now. Perfect segue into PJ20 tomorrow. You're all gonna love this :) objectivity be damned. Can't wait for the kids are 20 version!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Anyone know of any good films worth goin' to see tonight? :D

Anyone know of any good films worth goin' to see tonight? :D

Yeah. Can't wait. :pac:

PJ20 super deluxe edition..Looks great! Doesn't say when it's out though
    IMG_6707.png

Pearl Jam Twenty chronicles the years leading up to the band’s formation, the chaos that ensued soon-after their rise to megastardom, their step back from center stage, and the creation of a trusted circle that would surround them—giving way to a work culture that would sustain them. Told in big themes and bold colors with blistering sound, the film is carved from over 1,200 hours of rarely-seen and never-before seen footage spanning the band’s career. Pearl Jam Twenty is the definitive portrait of Pearl Jam: part concert film, part intimate insider-hang, part testimonial to the power of music and uncompromising artists.

About the Filmmaker

CAMERON CROWE, Director, Writer, Producer
    At Age 13 Cameron Crowe began his professional life as a music critic, writing for magazines such as Creem and Crawdaddy, and at 15, became a staff writer for Rolling Stone. In 1979, Crowe (then 22) went undercover as a Southern California high schooler for his book, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He then wrote the screenplay for the film upon which it was based. In 1989, Crowe made his feature film directorial debut with Say Anything…. His other films include Singles, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, Elizabethtown and Almost Famous, which earned him an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay. His newest narrative film, We Bought A Zoo, starring Matt Damon, will be released in December 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

david75 wrote: »
    Having seen the film I can tell you you're better off seeing the film first. The book fleshes it all out.

Also, the DVD is on presale at amazon but personally I'd hang on for the tenclub edition. 4 hours extra footage and a cut of the film called the kids are twenty. Just performances very little interviews. That'll be cool to see :)

will that be for members only?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    david75 wrote: »

will that be for members only?

Don't really know Gerry. It was said by the fanclub that a fanclub version would be available. I think that's it cos it's on the pj goods site just ye can't order it yet. Tomorrow or possibly later today I'd say?

The film is on US tv this weekend so presumably it'll be on sale before that but it's tenclub so you'd never really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

jenizzle wrote: »
    Ah, I'm anti-Apple though :D I do, however, have my spreadsheet up to date :rolleyes::cool:

Very excited about tomorrow!

haha......us nerdy Spreadsheet people have to stick together :-)

only a couple of hours away now, can't wait........really really looking forward to seeing this........thanks for the book info guys, will have to pick that up after pay day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Just after ordering the deluxe dvd, havent made the step to blu-ray yet! And then my weakness shone through and I bought the backpack which I dont really have too much need for! This is turning into another expensive pearl jam year!

Just after ordering the deluxe dvd, havent made the step to blu-ray yet! And then my weakness shone through and I bought the backpack which I dont really have too much need for! This is turning into another expensive pearl jam year!

keeping the world's economy going single handed :p
    everyone needs to buy things they really don't need every now and again.....

NIBBS wrote: »
    keeping the world's economy going single handed :p
    everyone needs to buy things they really don't need every now and again.....

If only it was every now and again!
    Just outside galway Omniplex now, a good crowd filing in already!

Heading for Wexford Omniplex shortly,nearly feels like pre gig excitement. Really,really looking forward to this!!

• Advertisement

Heading for Wexford Omniplex shortly,nearly feels like pre gig excitement. Really,really looking forward to this!!

A lot of tshirts here, looking forward to seeing it again almost as much as the first time, especially after reading the book, which I recommend for everyone to pick up tomorrow after seeing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

it will be said a thousand times.but what a great great movie.the 2 hours bloody flew and i wanted more and more.
    one thing i was surprised by was how moving and funny pj20 was.
    made me feel brilliant to be a pearl jam fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Just back from liffey valley, brilliant! I loved the footage of ed climbing on all the rigging! Defo gonna pick up the book when I get paid!

Think my favorite part was the clip of them playing bushleaguer!

So many goosebumps. Really great movie and a real insight into the dynamics of the band and how it changed over the years. Can't wait to see it again, hopefully in extended form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Really loved it. Cant wait for the extended version. Good to see they didn't skip by MotherLove Bone stuff. Good to see some Irish heads in there.. looked like it was from the 90s? Wonder if the guy near the end saw this for the first time tonight. Excpeted the film to end with Yellow Ledbetter, but yea overall was fantastic.

Well worth waiting for,can't express how much I enjoyed it. Cleverly put together and remained true to the nature and etos of the band too. Like everyone else,can't wait to see it again. Was also surprised it didn't finish with Yellowledbetter but hey,I can live with that!!
    Even my fiancé said she really enjoyed it which impressed me. Want to go and see them again now though :rolleyes:

I echo all of the above sentiments, absolutely loved the film, just back from Liffey Valley, and wanted more, could easily watch it again straight away, very well put together, and some really good insight, looking forward to picking up the book now.... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i loved it sooo much!! i shed a few tears tonight and im still emotional, lol. its been a long 20 years. i love young eddie i wish we could have him back. the bits with chris cornell talking about andy were really sweet and funny talking about mccready being a rockstar, same jeff talking about ed, seems to be a real love in the band. they also came across just like great normal guys. it amazed me to hear how the demos eddie made at the beginning were almost unchanged and then all of a sudden the band was a band and they were so perfect together right from the word go. just brilliant. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Really loved it. Cant wait for the extended version. Good to see they didn't skip by MotherLove Bone stuff. Good to see some Irish heads in there.. looked like it was from the 90s? Wonder if the guy near the end saw this for the first time tonight. Excpeted the film to end with Yellow Ledbetter, but yea overall was fantastic.

Think those 'irish heads' talking were from 2006.......

Best part for me was when Eddie got pissed with the security guy and sang Why Go! :D maybe it was deep? :confused: :cool: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"Maybe if these young people had real problems, like a depression, or Vietnam..." :D

It's interesting that Crowe didn't follow the "conventional" structure of recent rock documentaries - Foo Fighters: Back and Forth, Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, etc. - by starting at the very beginning with family history, etc.
    To be honest, I would have liked to have got more of a background about them growing up. The sequence of Jeff revisiting and talking about the isolation of living in Big Sandy was great, and it would have been nice if they all got something similar, even if it was only fleeting. I mean, the bit with Eddie pointing out the photo of his dad on the wall only took a few seconds of screen time, but it was hugely effective.
    Also, while the sequence highlighting Stone's (lack of) memorabilia was quite funny, not least the Grammy in the basement, his comment about Jeff keeping everything had me hoping they'd go on to show some of Jeff's archive, which they didn't. :(
    Due to some weird sequencing, the film seemed to make out that No Code was released before Vitalogy.
    Nice to see Cameron Crowe generating some extra royalties for his ex-wife by using Magic Man in the opening sequence. ;)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement