Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tbh, the lads wouldn't have been very comfortable with the documentary in the first place, I don't think they would've liked to have delved too much more into their childhood. To them, it probably wasn't all that relevant, except when it came to Ed and the lyrics he wrote. It was very strange to see Ed talking about his father openly.

I loved the part with Ed talking about the Singles party, t'was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Loved it! The State of Love & Trust bit was very funny, a lot of funny parts actually. Had just a huge smile on my face for Betterman & Alive at the end. Went with my brother who likes them but kinda just as much as any other band, he said at then end it could have done with another hour, I said well that's a good sign!

Thought there would have been a bit more atmosphere or something though in the cinema (Liffey Valley), bit of singing, bit of clapping maybe at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Thought there would have been a bit more atmosphere or something though in the cinema (Liffey Valley), bit of singing, bit of clapping maybe at the end.

To be honest that would have ruined it for be had people be singing and clapping through it......if it were just a concert film sure, but it was a documentary at the end of the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

NIBBS wrote: »
    To be honest that would have ruined it for be had people be singing and clapping through it......if it were just a concert film sure, but it was a documentary at the end of the day.....

Fair enough about the singing, but a bit of clapping at the end wouldn't have gone astray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I know what you mean, although it wasn't a concert I still expected a bit more of a buzz in the cinema. I was surprised the amount of people who left at the start of the closing credits too. I was enjoying the song and reading all the little notes and things down the sides.

I guess not everyone is as ,perfectly justifiably, obsessed into it as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

And so begins the next 20 years,I sincerely hope so anyway!!

What a band,amazing,just fcuking amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I agree about the strangely muted atmosphere. There were more laughs at the Rush and Foo Fighters screenings (and Iron Maiden: Flight 666 had some gems in it), but those films were all much lighter in tone. Overall, PJ20 is heavier and more serious, which probably explains why people were just happy to sit there and watch it respectfully.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Really loved it. Cant wait for the extended version. Good to see they didn't skip by MotherLove Bone stuff. Good to see some Irish heads in there.. looked like it was from the 90s? Wonder if the guy near the end saw this for the first time tonight. Excpeted the film to end with Yellow Ledbetter, but yea overall was fantastic.

theres a lot of debate going on about this at the moment.id love to know if there is an extended version.

heres whats on the blu ray/dvd according to ten club store.

PEARL JAM TWENTY DELUXE 3 DISC BLURAY.
    THREE DVD SET FEATURING OVER FOUR HOURS OF EXTRAS.
    DISC ONE FULL-LENGTH VERSION OF "PEARL JAM TWENTY" ALONG WITH BONUS FOOTAGE
    DISC TWO "THE KIDS ARE TWENTY" VERSION OF THE FILM AND BONUS FOOTAGE
    DISC THREE- "THE FANS ARE ALRIGHT" OVER 80 MINUTES OF EXTRAS FOCUSING ON THE FANS AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BAND

the kids are twenty is just supposed to be the movie without the talking.ie just music.and the full length version is afaik the movie we all saw last night.so extended version?i guess someone will find out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Great documentary, two of my favourite parts were Kurt and Eddie hugging - had to man up during that part and of course "The Drummer Story" lol laughed my ass off at that!! Especially the Spinal Tap part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fair enough about the singing, but a bit of clapping at the end wouldn't have gone astray :)
    There was clapping and cheering at the end of the IMC Dun Laoghaire screening. :)

I wasn't a huge fan going on (had only owned Ten and Vs) but it made me want to buy the rest of their albums and see them live too. Class movie!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Well.. Brilliant or what? I'm most excited to see the kids are twenty edit of the film. All songs no talking. All the footage.. Incredible! Neil young Rockin in the free world from the rds in 95. Think that was my favourite footage in the film it was huge! I was front row for that. I'll be slow moin that scene when I get the DVD:)

New album is halfway finished but not out til next year. Get Savin for the tour I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Stone finding the Grammy in his basement was hilarious!

Definitely missed Yellow Ledbetter but Alive was definitely a good choice.
    Even though its their most commerical and popular song, theres good reason for it. In one song 'Alive' captures Pearl Jam better then any other

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I thought it was great. I felt really happy coming out of that film and I don't think it's because I'm biased because I've been following them for 19 years (not from the very beginning alas!).

I myself wondered about the lack of cheering and clapping throughout. I think one person in the IFI clapped during the film and everyone clapped at the end. I agree with @NIBBS, it would have detracted from everyone's enjoyment. I for one was cheering and singing my heart out on the inside - especially the songs from Ten and Yield.

Can't wait to get the DVD - I'm gonna have Pearl Jam 20 parties and bore the pants off my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Just back from liffey valley, brilliant! I loved the footage of ed climbing on all the rigging! Defo gonna pick up the book when I get paid!

Think my favorite part was the clip of them playing bushleaguer!

That bit was class...'so you didn't like that one huh'

Went to see this last night. Thought it was so so good. Still buzzin from it, almost like being at a PJ gig ha ha. The girlfriend joined me and is more of a casual than I, and she didn't want it to end either. Both loved it.

I've seen some of the criticisms towards this movie and my feelings are that once you go in with the attitude that it's a celebration of the band and their longevity then you're grand, don't expect Some Kind Of Monster. I wasn't really expecting them to say bad things about each other (these days they seem pretty harmonious anyway). I thought Crowe captured the band well, gave a little bit without compromising the mystique of the band (if anything for me it enhanced their mystique) and it's for the fans really. For a one night only screening to see this in a darkened room felt really special.

I love them all as a unit but Stone would definitely be the (first) one I’d love to meet. He came across like a bit of a Walter Mitty type person.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

boosh_fan wrote: »
    I think one person in the IFI clapped during the film

I just found that annoying. Bordering on snobbery. You know, the kind where someone is only stopping short of standing up and shouting to the crowd that they DEFINITELY get it more than everyone else and it ABSOLUTELY means more to them than anyone else.
    Just STFU and let's all enjoy it, eh?

And I never understand clapping at the end of any movie; who are you applauding? The projectionist? Yourselves?

Documentary was an enormous disappointment too. For something Cameron's "been making" for 20 years it felt like it was thrown together.
    I am interested in seeing the longer cut though, there was so much missing.

To be honest, I think this film is far superior to Some Kind of Monster which was cringey at the best of times and I think it showed Metallica in a pretty bad light (petty arguments, their "cousellor", their lyric writing escapades - "I'm looking for doughnuts, I'm looking for doughnuts" or whatever it was). I like how @fluke describe it as them keeping their mystique above.

Squelchy wrote: »

And I never understand clapping at the end of any movie; who are you applauding? The projectionist? Yourselves?

I find clapping at the end of movies a bit like clapping when a plane lands (very irritating) but last night for me anyway, it was a way to let my applause out after watching concert footage from concerts similar to the Pearl Jam ones I've been to and enjoyed immensely. To just stand up and walk out wouldn't have done it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Killergamer97

what is this song!!! Tab: 0,0,5,0,0,3,5,3,0

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

what is this song!!! Tab: 0,0,5,0,0,3,5,3,0

RearViewMirror

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Check this out, some latin american "stars in their eyes" type programme. This guys does a very impressive Eddie soundalike. Pretty cool :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD32b_iA2uE&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

I see the movie is showing in cinema's again on October 10th, might pay yet another visit, a couple of mates want to see it and no better way than the big screen!

If anyone does any bit of collecting, the backspacer white vinyl (that has been selling for upwards of a couple of thousand on ebay) is currently on sale in the goods store, $25 plus $11 delivery, had to get me some!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Just got an email to say my 2010 xmas single has been shipped. They sent me the MP3 format with the latest Deep magazine so I can at least hear them now. Got to listen to a little of Falling Down before a manager came in, sounded really good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

PJ20 is being shown again next Monday and Tuesday!

Cork Omniplex Cork
    Dun Laoghaire IMC Dun Laoghaire
    Omniplex Galway Galway
    Omniplex Carlow Carlow
    Omniplex Wexford Wexford
    Omniplex Kilkenny Kilkenny
    Dublin Screen Dublin

http://www.pj20.com/screenings/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

It's a pretty "by the numbers" cover, but I don't really dig it. Eddie sings with a different cadence than Roger and Dave did and I'm finding it too hard to distance myself and listen to it without thinking "it's wrong" :(

Pj can't put a foot right musically these days. I wasn't sold on that cover either, why even bother with a song they're not familiar with? (boys are back in town, anyone?) but fair play, it's cool to see them at least try other songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭flasher0030

david75 wrote: »
    Pj can't put a foot right musically these days. I wasn't sold on that cover either, why even bother with a song they're not familiar with? (boys are back in town, anyone?) but fair play, it's cool to see them at least try other songs.

Obviously you have not listened to Backspacer. Remarkable album, just topping their previous slef-titled album.

Prior to those 2 records, then maybe your comments could apply.

Obviously you have not listened to Backspacer. Remarkable album, just topping their previous slef-titled album.

Sweeping statements much? ;)

I love Backspacer. And seen more than my fair share of live gigs. Backspacer wipes the floor with s/t. It was an overbaked poorly constructed mess. Interesting to read in the PJ29 book, Ed saying that it actually was made as a concept record. Too bad they didn't to with that idea and construct it accordingly.

Riot Act is dak but it's meant to be. They were dark times. Darkest our boys had ever been through, post Roskilde and living under Bush.

Binaurals amazing. Though the alternative reacklisting with Fatal And Sad on there would have made it an incredible record instead of just a great one.

I'd strongly disagree with you there. Backspacer was almost "poppy" in it's delivery, far too safe and by the numbers sounding, didn't hold a candle to Riot Act or Binaural. I thought "Pearl Jam" was pretty weak too, just a big "meh" full of uninteresting songs. They really branched out and evolved on the previous 2 albums (B and RA), then almost seemed to panic and go back to safe mode for the 2 most recent albums. Unfortunately, rock songs written when you're 40 lack the same kick that the ones you wrote when you were 20 had.

Yeah I know, plus they were doing it as part of "Pink Floyd" week on the show. But they could have picked a better song. I know Roger Waters was on earlier in the week, obviously pimping the Wall Tour (best gig I've ever been to BTW), so maybe they were asked to play something from "the Wall" (but then MGMT were also on during the week and played something from the "piper at the gates of dawn" album)? I don't know... It just doesen't work for me, plus it you have a 5-6 man band, surely they could have picked a cover that isn't largely just vocals and acoustic guitar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

[/Quote]Obviously you have not listened to Backspacer. Remarkable album, just topping their previous slef-titled album.

Prior to those 2 records, then maybe your comments could apply.[/Quote]

remarkable? It was good and I reckon only die hards like it.but it was far from remarkable.

Advertisement