Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nah I love Backspacer. Even if you're not a fan you've got to hand it to PJ in that they've never once made a record that has songs which sounds like any other of their records. Avocado kinda did which is why it was so divisive of the fanbase(hate that record) but the same logic applies to Backspacer. There was no frame of reference towards an identifiable PJ sound/songs.

Mike says the next one is a 'logical extension' of Backspacer. And while I have great time for that record, I hope it's not that. Better if they kept moving on.

Gas when you consider Ten through No Code was 5 years. Now were getting records 2 going on 3 years apart.

The lads need to pull their finger out big time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I think in the first 5 years they had so much music within them. Ed had anger that needed to go somewhere, and now that has disappeared, the albums aren't up to scratch. I don't really enjoy Backspacer or Avocado at all, and Mikes comment that was posted above would really worry me that this will be the third album in a row where I'll listen and think "meh". Of course some of the BS stuff sounds much better live.

I just can't get over that the same band who wrote the likes of NAIS or GTF (or any one of a hundred songs...) came up with feckin' Parachutes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

jenizzle wrote: »
    I just can't get over that the same band who wrote the likes of NAIS or GTF (or any one of a hundred songs...) came up with feckin' Parachutes :rolleyes:
    Hey, Leave Parachutes out of this :D
    Anyway it was Stones fault

jenizzle wrote: »
    Hey, Leave Parachutes out of this :D
    Anyway it was Stones fault

I've also come to like parachutes a lot. Another example of a type of song they never really don't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think that Inside Job is one of the best songs they've ever written and whilst Unemployable was kinda derivative it is still a great song. Backspacer has some decent tunes but when stacked up against anything else they've done....not so much.

I'm not terribly surprised they've gone the route they have done though. They've never really taken a significant amount of time off, in the past decade anyway, in order to just live life and get a bit of a fire going again. They are always touring. It probably isn't in them to take time off but I think it could definitely benefit them.

Incubus took afew years off to just live their lives and have returned with probably one of their best albums ever in the last few months. But it's not a route I can see PJ taking.

• Advertisement

Pearl jam always touring? Two weeks a year is hardly always. Plus they look at the bandlike a holiday job. They only convene to write/record every 2 years. Pj is a part time enterprise for it's members.

And taking time to write/record hasn't served them well. At all. Self titled was a train wreck with about three good songs. They all spoke about it frustrating them cos they were writing it as they recorded it . Their best work has been when they get in and do short sharp bursts. No code and Vitalogy were done in next to no time by industry and the bands own standards.

The new work ethic has Ed saying if a song doesn't come together in fifteen minutes, it's too much like homework, it gets dropped. That might work for those crap punk numbers he seems to like but
    I can't agree with that view at all. You've gotta put some work in.

Next record is hugely important for them. They've gotta show the whole world you can still be relevant and make great music even after 20 years.

I hope they look to their Neil Young wtc influences rather than their fugazi influences. Bit ridiculous men their age tryna record punk tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

david75 wrote: »
    Pearl jam always touring? Two weeks a year is hardly always. Plus they look at the bandlike a holiday job. They only convene to write/record every 2 years. Pj is a part time enterprise for it's members.

And taking time to write/record hasn't served them well. At all. Self titled was a train wreck with about three good songs. They all spoke about it frustrating them cos they were writing it as they recorded it . Their best work has been when they get in and do short sharp bursts. No code and Vitalogy were done in next to no time by industry and the bands own standards.

The new work ethic has Ed saying if a song doesn't come together in fifteen minutes, it's too much like homework, it gets dropped. That might work for those crap punk numbers he seems to like but

Next record is hugely important for them. They've gotta show the whole world you can still be relevant and make great music even after 20 years.

I hope they look to their Neil Young wtc influences rather than their fugazi influences. Bit ridiculous men their age tryna record punk tunes.

Horrible album - imo. It only has about 3 good songs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

:eek: That entire album, with the exception of bugs and Hey Foxymophandlemama that's me which don't really count, is phenomenal. Corduroy and Immortality are in my top PJ songs ever and Tremor Christ, Not for you, spin the circle... that album needs no justification. It's fantastic, then again I think all the albums are. Riot act is the only album I don't seem to play much nowadays.

They all have their charms and I love eponymous album and Backspacer too. Not as angry or powerful maybe as some older stuff, but their not as angry as they were either. Neither am I...

Which album? Pearl jam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Which album? Pearl jam?

Vitalogy, I think.

Cracking album IMO (apart from the pointless songs: bugs, hey foxy..., aye devina, pry to).

• Advertisement

Vitalogy, I think.

Cracking album IMO (apart from the pointless songs: bugs, hey foxy..., aye devina, pry to).

Terrible album imo. Can't listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Vitalogy is a fantastic album, Betterman, Last exit, not for you, Nothingman, whipping, immortality... I could go on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I love Vitalogy too! And although I have always hated bugs I did have a few weird spider incidents where I even started to like that song too!!!

Too many good songs on the album to even list them all!

Sgn of a great band when there's something for everyone. Though I can't understand anyone not liking Vitalogy. It's probably their masterpiece.

Different strokes n all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

My one gripe with vitalogy is the prevalance of the useless songs. I mean, I love all the actual tracks, it would be a 10/10 album if there weren't so many skipables.

spaceboy wrote: »
    Vitalogy is a fantastic album, Betterman, Last exit, not for you, Nothingman, whipping, immortality... I could go on. :D

they're the only 3 songs on it that I can actually listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Vitalogy is my favourite album but I'm probably one of the only ones who likes the "filler" tracks, I think they fit the loose theme of the album well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I kind of like bugs. It grew on me after my ears sort of adapted to the accordian.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

How anyone wouldn't include Last Exit & Not For You as decent PJ songs I do not know!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Richy06 wrote: »

Incubus took afew years off to just live their lives and have returned with probably one of their best albums ever in the last few months.

Totally off topic... I feckin LOVED Incubus, but mother of jaysis I've never been so disappointed by an album in years :o I don't expect them to make a S.C.I.E.N.C.E vol. 2 but... ah, disappointed!

As a comparison, I felt the Foo Fighters were in a similar position, and I think they pretty much admitted it themselves, that during and after One By One and on towards ESPG they lost it a little. They seemed to have taken the time to just step back a little, and come up with one of their better efforts and definitely one of the best albums this year IMO. They went back to where they came from but kept it fresh too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Vitalogy IMO is a class album,first 6 songs are up there with anything the band have done. Ive never got the idea of 'bundles of noise 'type fillers on anybodys albums,including PJ but if you take them out it really is a good record overall. At the end of the day,people will have their own opinions on what albums they like/dislike and thats where the fun in music lies I think.
    Very interested to see how the new album pans out,will be a relief to spend some money on new PJ music as opposed to re-released anniversary/box set/remastered type stuff!!

Good point. I'm sorta blue in the face with the live stuff. I never even bought that Gorge boxset and only really have the bootlegs of the gigs I've been to and even then only some of them. I'll always go see a few dates in a euro tour, have even gone to the states to see them and Ed solo. But bored completely of the live bootleg thing.

Even this years Xmas single is yet another 2 songs from what, 95? Cmon lads. Wish they'd keep they Xmas single a bit special and actually give us some studio stuff. It's not like they don't have mountains of songs they're never gonna do anything with. They do!
    Why not put them on the annual fanclub single? If only.

Anyone goin to PJ20 in the screen tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish Man

I have a Spare pearl jam 20 book for sale:

http://www.adverts.ie/non-fiction/pearl-jam-20-hardback/1012921

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Anyone know if its just ten club that are selling the blu ray with the 4hrs extra on it or will amazon etc be selling it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish Man

Bluefoam wrote: »

It is new. And €20 is an ad price. Anyone can offer what they like. Your comment is stupid. If I was offering book for more then shop price I could understand. But I am not.

Get a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Irish Man wrote: »
    Get a clue.

I have a raging clue...

Hardly%20Boys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I throught Rito Act was an amazing album...It's the closest i'ver ever felt to the music when listening to an album... Also "You Are" is an awesome tune.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Anyone know if its just ten club that are selling the blu ray with the 4hrs extra on it or will amazon etc be selling it to?

seems to be just 10c(though id imagine it will show back up) but the bluray has sold out on 10c now. hopefully theyll restock it but its doubtful as they dont really do restocking.

Advertisement