Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

david75 wrote: »
    Did you guys watch the video to go with the announcement? Sounds like two new songs. One dark and atmospheric and the other very like Go but reminiscent of old school soundgarden.
    Excited to hear this new record.

http://pearljam.com/videoview/21873/north_american_tour_2013

Just watched it there.

I like it. I like it a lot!!

Sooner this record comes out the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Really disappointed with the announcement. It did not warrant a countdown, especially if you're not American.

My main worry is that it will go exactly like last time. I was in Ireland when they played Oz and Oz when they player Europe. If they do the same time frame this time I will be back in Oz when they come to Europe again.

Really liked the abckground song in the video. Is it definitely 2 separate songs? Can't wait for the album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

There's another countdown on presumably either for the single reveal or the album track list.

It seems to be two songs. The thinking is the ambient one is from a song called sirens and the heavier bit is mind your manners.

I'm excited:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Wonder what Matt Cameron will do down the line. Will he have to pick SG or PJ? Or are SG planning on doing anything else...
    Imagine that, playing arenas with SG and PJ in the one year....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Wonder what Matt Cameron will do down the line. Will he have to pick SG or PJ? Or are SG planning on doing anything else...
    Imagine that, playing arenas with SG and PJ in the one year....

Imagine a Soundgarden/Pearl Jam/Temple of the Dog tour!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hubba Hubba. On a side note, Ben Shepard has a solo album out in a few months. The song I heard sounded pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

The countdown within a countdown is ridiculous. Just announce everything and screw the drip feeding.

Regarding the audio if they are going for a more open organic sound (as much as I'm fond of them - Avocado too abrasive, Backspacer too polished) which it sounds like they are then I am in.

So long as Eddie stops trying to hit notes he simply can't hit.

Is Brendan O' Brien producing?

BOB is producing yeah.
    This countdown ends tonight at 6 or 630 this evening, Irish time.
    PJ have tweeted saying we've to 'listen out'
    Hopefully it's the single and not a damn ten second clip.
    They've an awful habit of doing the clip thing.
    It's redundant

****ty YouTube clip seems to have surfaced of the song but!!

They just said on phantom they'll be playing it on key cuts tonight at 8!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Today FM saying Paul McLoone will be playing the new single on his show from 9 tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

So new album "Lightning Bolt" out 15th October. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Short video reveal featuring that same song from the other video, which I guess is 'Mind your Manners'?

[edit] Never mind, just seen the full video has been posted there!

Its crap. Another shouty jumpy garbage punk rock song, very disappointed. I've seen people comparing this to Spin the black circle, give me a break, its not fit to lace its boots. Punk by numbers, the end actually sounds like something the offspring might have done about 15 years ago. Thats fine if your'e the offspring, its terrible for pearl jam. Hope the album doesn't go down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm still kinda on the fence about it, I do get what you mean with the punk comments. Although I can see where the spin the Black Circle comments come from. Sounds quite Vitalogy esque to me, mixed with some avacado.

Listened to it a couple of times now & it's a grower. Definitely not punky imo, but some harsh guitar sounds ala Vs & Vitalogy, I can't wait for the album

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Personally I like it. It's all about opinions lads,each to their own. They must have been listening to a bit of Motörhead whilst making the album!!
    European tour surely on the cards next year!!

I like it.

Very like a return to some old school PJ.

Can't wait for a European tour, hope to go see them somewhere in mainland Europe as opposed to Ireland or the UK, though no doubt I'll hit an Irish gig as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Doubt any Euro announcement is coming before October....there's another countdown going!

Think that countdown should bring them up the start of the US tour in October.

• Advertisement

Yeah, saw the dates for the end of this year, they finish up in Seattle on Dec 6th. Going to be well into the spring before the come to Europe.

I think the Gap between this and the album release suggest they're seeing how this goes down before they finalise a track listing.
    I hated it upon first hearing it.

They're too old to be doing this kinda thing. But the two ed multi tracked harmony sweet spots are pulling it out of the fire for me. And at least the single is never representative of the whole record. I think this'll be a grower. Never be in my top 20 bit it's a grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

DoubleD wrote: »
    Its crap. Another shouty jumpy garbage punk rock song, very disappointed. I've seen people comparing this to Spin the black circle, give me a break, its not fit to lace its boots. Punk by numbers, the end actually sounds like something the offspring might have done about 15 years ago. Thats fine if your'e the offspring, its terrible for pearl jam. Hope the album doesn't go down this route.

I read a while ago that they've taken the approach to songwriting that if they can't make it work within a few minutes of getting a track going they ditch it, which is why we have all these simple stripped down poppy punk songs. Its annoying if true, I think they're capable of writing musically interesting music, rather than trying to be angry at their age. I'll give the album a try and definitely a buy, but I'm finding I like less and less of their new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i think it's very like spin the black circle. no where near as good as it but you can understand the comparison. i dont know what i think of it.on first impression its just ok.
    one thing is for sure,it's a hell of song for eddies vocal chords to take on night after night. he ain't getting any younger.

In fairness to ed, on this track, he for the first time in YEARS is singing from his chest rather than from his head. If you get some headphones give it a listen. He sounds proper baritone again like the old days rather than the high nasal / screechy approach of the last two records.
    He's singing in his range and sounds all the better for it.

I hated this yesterday and just heard it again on phantom and I'm re evaluating. It's actually a cracking tune. Keep the comparisons out and give it its own time. It's a better punk song than Spin and Certainly better than that train wreck, Comatose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

david75 wrote: »
    In fairness to ed, on this track, he for the first time in YEARS is singing from his chest rather than from his head. If you get some headphones give it a listen. He sounds proper baritone again like the old days rather than the high nasal / screechy approach of the last two records.
    He's singing in his range and sounds all the better for it.

I hated this yesterday and just heard it again on phantom and I'm re evaluating. It's actually a cracking tune. Keep the comparisons out and give it its own time. It's a better punk song than Spin and Certainly better than that train wreck, Comatose

Agree on the vocals, he's pulling himself back in. Hope he's a bit less croaky on this album.

It's a grower but if this is the first single then I'm amazed - it's not a typical single like the leading singles of the last two discs. In fact it's more like a deep album cut. It's kinda straight out punky but then melodic.

I don't mind punky PJ (but def want more songs where they give the tunes room to breathe). I like it enough but hope the rest of the album isn't all scatty rock (the second audio in the first clip suggested something else altogether). PJ need to stop trying so hard to be punk when their best strengths lie elsewhere. Apart from them overdoing it in recent albums Eddie could apply his vocals to something where he's not tearing his throat up.

Also find the art accompanying art interesting - PJ's albums have been more so photographic and also based on practical art. This is Adobe Illustrator all the way.

The lyrics seem to be a comment on religion in his life and American life

LYRICS MIND YOUR MANNERS : seems the right ones!!!

I've got an unfortunate feeling
    i've been beaten down
    i feel i don't believe and now the truth is comin' out
    what they take is more than a vow
    they've taken your innocence and then they go around and burn and violate it

i'm only saying
    mind your manners

i caught myself believing
    that i needed god
    and if it's out there somewhere
    we sure could use it now

trying my patience
    my patience's trying
    this world don't know no better
    and it makes me wanna cry

i'm only saying
    mind your manners
    someone say it

self-realized and metaphysically redeemed
    may not live another life
    may not solve a mystery
    right around the corner
    could be bigger than ourselves
    we could will it to the sky
    or we could something else

ya know, no one's sayin'
    mind your manners
    always praying

self-realized and metaphysically redeemed
    may not live another life
    may not solve a mystery
    right around the corner
    could be bigger than ourselves
    we could will it to the sky
    or we could something else

go to heaven
    that's swell
    how do you like it
    living in hell

go to heaven
    that's swell
    how do you like it
    living in hell

go to heaven
    that's swell
    how do you like it
    living in hell

living in hell

He's done well here. And the artwork has some religious imagery in it too if you look. Pj sometimes need a battle or something to pitch to. And they're bet and worst work often results.
    I'm more into the atmospheric stuff which they don't do enough of, sleight of hand, strangest tribe, and that other song in the new tour video.
    Hope there's more of this explored on this one. In rather doubtful though

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

I'm still kinda on the fence about it, I do get what you mean with the punk comments. Although I can see where the spin the Black Circle comments come from. Sounds quite Vitalogy esque to me, mixed with some avacado.

Yep, reminds me of Comatose & Satan's Bed.

I dunno, i'm kind of underwhelmed. It sounds like something I might be skipping on the album to be honest but I'll have to give it a few more listens.

I hated it now I like it. Keep at it.

• Advertisement

I just got to listen to it there. I like it. Was a bit worried at the start and I definitely prefer the middle where it stops punking it up too much. I think it will be a grower too? Like backspacer I prefer Amongst the waves and speed of sound but I like Got Some and The Fixer too, even if they didn't make my PJ Playlist.

Advertisement