Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Earlier today I realised it so easily could be an arctic monkeys song. Now im confused :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

started off liking it and then not liking it because of the change of tempo in the middle.

Its grown on me a little bit but don't think its going to make my top 10 anytime soon

Made a little playlist of PJ punk songs. Punk is Not they're strong point but it actually works.
    Spin the black circle
    Comatose
    Severed hand
    Marker
    Olé
    MYM

I'm completely allergic to the avocado record. It's the low point in their entire career for me but severed hand and comatosefrom it are actually ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

david75 wrote: »
    Made a little playlist of PJ punk songs. Punk is Not they're strong point but it actually works.
    Spin the black circle
    Comatose
    Severed hand
    Marker

Olé
    MYM

Don't consider those punk songs at all, but each to their own.

Other PJ punk songs that come to mind:
    Green Disease
    Lukin
    Supersonic

Green disease!? No way is that punk.
    Lukin and supersonic don't fit the list I made cos the playing is similar and have similar breaks gaps and bridges.
    I love supersonic. Think it's more a pop song than anything?

Though I did walk out of the London gig the first night they ever played it. Thought that's it. They've finally lost it and are a bad ramones cover band. Grew to love it though.

• Advertisement

Dp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've given it a few more listens and I just can't find myself warming to it. I mean, it's not as if I hate it, but I can't bring myself to like it. It's a song that I'd play through on a record, but skip if on a cd.

Green disease!? No way is that punk.
    Lukin and supersonic don't fit the list I made cos the playing is similar and have similar breaks gaps and bridges.
    I love supersonic. Think it's more a pop song than anything?

Though I did walk out of the London gig the first night they ever played it. Thought that's it. They've finally lost it and are a bad ramones cover band. Grew to love it though.

All those songs are punk. You've even conceded that Supersonic was influenced by the ramones.

Though whatever the fuck punk is these days - The Clash/Sum 41/whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Seriously who gives a **** if it is punk? its Pearl Jam and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think mind your manners has a very Van Halen sound to it (the lee Roth version)

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not in love with it by no means but it's not awful.
    And by definition it's just a fast rock song really, not a punk one. The guitar work on this and the others I mentioned earlier is more complex than anything punk I can think of.

Trick now is not to overplay this. October is so far away. Dunno what the big idea is with leaving such a big gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Omg...scored seattle tickets.....waaaa amazing :-)

Congrats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Fi H wrote: »
    Omg...scored seattle tickets.....waaaa amazing :-)

Class - some friends here were thinking that would be the gig to go too....just being curious but how did you get them?

Brillo setting last night and amazing new light rig is adding a lot to the show apparently
    Curious as to what the Corduroy bridge was like

01. Present Tense
    02. Nothing Man
    03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    04. London Calling-(Jones, Strummer)/Corduroy
    (band plays verse music while Ed sings “London Calling” a few times rather than actual lyrics. Corduroy bridge is rearranged slightly)

05. Mind Your Manners (new song from “Lightning Bolt”)
    06. Got Some
    07. Given To Fly
    08. Sad
    09. Alone
    10. Even Flow (instead of “never vote republican” Ed says something about Chelios)

(Ed reminisces about touring Canada with Mudhoney and how great it was.. When driving into London for this show he remembered everything about the city. He jokes that while looking up facts about the city he saw a wi-fi network called “Dundas Hookers On Crack” which he thought “London is keeping their sense of humor until he went walking around the hotel and thought there might be something to it. He goes on to say that while Stone was out for a run around the city a guy began smashing a phone against a phone booth while he went past. “This next song is for all the Dundas hookers on crack”.)

11. I Got ****
    12. In Hiding
    13. Lukin
    14. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney)
    15. Black
    16. Porch (light globes come down from the lighting truss and Ed swings on one a bit.)

Encore Break: Ed introduces the band. “We don’t have to work tomorrow so I will have to check but I think we can stay as late as we want to tonight here in the lovely ‘Budweiser Gardens’. **** beer but a good building.”

17. Last Exit
    18. Last Kiss-(Cochran) (played to audience behind the stage. Matt plays a cocktail kit facing the back and the rest of the band joins him there.)

(For this part of the show the guys sit down closer together. The band has a new stage set up and lighting rig. During the first encore a giant “chaos bird” that appears to be made of scrap metal with lights strung throughout it descends from the truss to hang just above the band. There are orange lamps all over the stage and larger globes that descend and rise into the lighting truss. )

19. Parachutes
    20. Man Of The Hour
    21. Just Breathe
    22. Daughter
    23. Unthought Known
    24. Do The Evolution

Encore Break 2
    (Ed re-introduces Jeff and Stone who have switched instruments. He thanks the audience for remaining friends in the seven years since the band has played here)

25. Smile

Ed talks about his hockey playing friends here tonight Tie Dome and hall of famer Chris Chelios. He also dedicates the next song to the “guy in the yellow shirt from Denmark for coming all the way out here and requesting a good song”

26. Brain Of J
    27. Better Man
    28. Alive
    29. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
    30. Indifference

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Scored tickets for LA 1st night. can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Ten club lottery....now hopefully i will win the real lottery to pay for flights :-)

Wrigley set list leaked
    E9090EDB-E7E6-436E-8CBB-A63A88F69496-12371-00000374B02AA72A.jpg

Also, here's that $240 trading card set
    9B7BE13F-BDA8-480E-8AAF-F8663FCCB985-12371-00000374A76B5D7A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wrigley set list leaked
    E9090EDB-E7E6-436E-8CBB-A63A88F69496-12371-00000374B02AA72A.jpg

Quite easily the best setlist going!

Nice to see Come Back on it, hopefully its dedicated to lad on 10 club forum.

• Advertisement

The guy with the dead wife?
    That made my skin crawl. Very very strange altogether.

The guy with the dead wife?
    That made my skin crawl. Very very strange altogether.

Yup. I think its class for the guy.

Think about it though.
    Your wife dies.
    You go public asking for a (really sad)song.
    Night of the gig the band play it.
    You're gonna bawl your eyes out. Sorta ruining it for yourself and possibly whoevers with you and around you.

Just a strange thing to ask for but grief does strange things I guess.

Yeah I can see that side of it. Im taking it as his way of moving on, and what a way to do it. Considering its one of her fav songs too. Plus whoever hes with will understand, and PJ fans are a nice bunch!

Yeah that's a good way of looking at it.
    Hope they play it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Think about it though.
    Your wife dies.
    You go public asking for a (really sad)song.
    Night of the gig the band play it.
    You're gonna bawl your eyes out. Sorta ruining it for yourself and possibly whoevers with you and around you.

Just a strange thing to ask for but grief does strange things I guess.

Music is a powerful force we can all attest to that. How many have put on that one album that will make us sad after a breakup, but there is something comforting in it, even though it brings us down to the core of our pain there is a certain release with it. I have no doubt the man in question was emotional when they played the song, but I am sure he was also happy in a sort of bittersweet way. He was hearing something his wife loved played by the band who created this music, to him it was probably seen as a honourable tribute to her memory.

I agree with all your post but for some weird reason, and even a cursory glance at the official board will show this, this bands fans have the most overwrought demented sense of entitlement and ownership of the band and the music. The senseless demands and outrage when Pj don't do what xyz fan wants and so xyz goes on a mad rant about it, it's beyond bonkers.
    I understand the guy is grieving and that can take strange forms when manifested and his request isn't the strangest one I've seen,
    Just think its a little weird.

That said I hope they play it but then of they do, they're screwing themselves cos then every other oddball with a weird request will go 'oh well it worked for him, so they better fulfill my (bat**** crazy) demand of them'

It's a lose lose for the band.

That said I hope they play it but then of they do, they're screwing themselves cos then every other oddball with a weird request will go 'oh well it worked for him, so they better fulfill my (bat**** crazy) demand of them'

The band can be coy and just say ah we just worked it into the setlist.

I agree with all your post but for some weird reason, and even a cursory glance at the official board will show this, this bands fans have the most overwrought demented sense of entitlement and ownership of the band and the music. The senseless demands and outrage when Pj don't do what xyz fan wants and so xyz goes on a mad rant about it, it's beyond bonkers.
    I understand the guy is grieving and that can take strange forms when manifested and his request isn't the strangest one I've seen,
    Just think its a little weird.

If a fan went crazy cos they didn't play a requested song then f*** 'em, not worth the hassle. If they have a sense of entitlement, it says more of the person than PJ fans in general. It'd be even worse if they moaned about a request working for someone else then not for them.

I do hope that's the set list, I would certainly get the bootleg if its still being done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think it's extremely weird. Agree with what was said above, the guy will be cut to shreds on the night, then there's also the fact that it could be someone else's favourite song for entirely different reasons, so your man could be surrounded by people going nuts, high-fiving, having a blast etc., while he sits there thinking that the song is being played for him and him alone.

Nice of the band to do it though.

Advertisement