Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

As close as ill be getting to Wrigley tonight
    C16CB49F-B1B5-48BF-8F40-CE1A0802AFB2-18362-00000599A0C5D64A.jpg

My friend queued all night outside wrigley.
    He got the spot he deserved. Front and centre.
    B5CBD11F-40D4-49A9-A6A4-812DD6BB2F2A-19251-000005CEEF5A8E19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Crazy stuff happening over there this evening! Was listening to the show from a street webcam after work and then the rain delay came, still awake now and they're back, just after playing another new song "Lightning" (Bolt?) there, the set list is pretty stacked looking if they manage to get through it all before they are turfed off stage!

BPl2zWlCcAATvgx.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Set drawing to a close, Better Man being played now

They played the whole set.
    Two new songs. One is good(future days) the other, lightning bolt is worryingly meh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrjeV_-nss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBNCrU6CF4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Some lad bought me a cocktail last night cos of the stickman tattoo I have. It was supposed to be shots too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Still, a free drink is a free drink :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Anyone else singing the line "can't find a Betterman" while reading these last few posts? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

david75 wrote: »
    They played the whole set.
    Two new songs. One is good(future days) the other, lightning bolt is worryingly meh
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrjeV_-nss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBNCrU6CF4

Lightning bolts not amazing, but I way prefer it to mind your manners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I liked lightning bolt, great solo by mike at the end. Future Days sounds pretty much like springsteen

• Advertisement

Two leaked demos from Avocado are out there.
    Let it ride and cold concession

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Listened to Let it ride and Cold concession on the sky i scrape. good tunes. Roll on Lightning Bolt.

Really liking both of them on first listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Doesn't seem to be too much love for the avocado album here?

With bloody good reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

seachto7 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be too much love for the avocado album here?

It has it's fans just like Backspacer, but in the last few years those two have become the whipping boys of the PJ catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I go back to Avacado and Backspacer way more than I do Riot Act.

NothingMan wrote: »
    I go back to Avacado and Backspacer way more than I do Riot Act.

See, I get why some people don't like S/T and Backspacer, but it's clear to me that if the band had continued on the path that led them to Riot Act, the band would have fizzled out in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I like the avocado album. More than Backspacer. Must go back to Binaural now. :)

Avocado, Riot act and Backspacer all have their moments and have some good songs, its just that they have far less "moments" than everything else. Between them you could probably get one really good album.

LBC, amongst the waves, life wasted, marker in the sand, arc, all or none, unthought known, come back, inside job, i am mine, the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

DoubleD wrote: »
    Avocado, Riot act and Backspacer all have their moments and have some good songs, its just that they have far less "moments" than everything else. Between them you could probably get one really good album.

LBC, amongst the waves, life wasted, marker in the sand, arc, all or none, unthought known, come back, inside job, i am mine, the end.

Backspacer: Speed of Sound, Force of Nature, Just Breathe (more into the wild than PJ but still great).

Avacado: WWS, Severed Hand, Gone... I actually love this Album in it's entirety so hard to filter great songs for me.

Riot Act: Save You, Green Disease, Ghost...

Again, I can listen to any of these albums start to finish and even the "weaker" tracks fit.

I seem to be in the even more minor minority in liking all 3 of Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer. Riot Act was the album that got me into the band in 2003, as I was <10 years old during the 'classic' years. One of the things that I do really love about their output is the diversity in the music, notably from album to album. Hard to ask for 3 more diverse collections than the 3 listed above. Some tunes worth mentioning in my opinion...

Riot Act: LBC, Save You (explosive live), Cropduster, I Am Mine, Thumbing My Way, You Are, All or None, Green Disease

Pearl Jam: WWS, Severed Hand, Marker, Come Back, Life Wasted, Gone, Unemployable and eh.....INSIDE FÚCKIN' JOB!!

Backspacer: Look I'm gonna say that I really dig this album apart from Supersonic. I think Unthought Known and Force Of Nature have to be as strong as anything they've ever written, and this 18 years after they'd written their 'best songs man'. I can understand how many fans didn't go for it, but to say it's 'shít' like has been said for about 4 years now is just wrong.

Aside from that, hope we can keep the thread ticking along here, it's starting to get a bit too intense over in the 10c forums!

Force of nature is one of their most underrated songs ever.
    It's a powerhouse lyrically. And the music fits perfectly.
    Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Love it.

Favourite song off BS, better than anything on avocado too.

Love it.

I'll admit that initially I was so captivated by the music and melodies that it was at least 5-6 listens before i actually honed in on the lyrics, and then it cemented its place for me in the long list of PJ greats. And it is perfectly ok for me that not a whole lot of PJ fans feel the same way about Force of Nature, maybe even makes it a bit more special!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The second half of Backspacer is some of my favourite work from Pearl Jam. Just Breathe is great, even if it is just a rehash of Tuolumne from Into the Wild. Amongst the Waves and Speed of Sound are possibly my favourites, but Unthought Known is great. The album is one of my first go-to albums for them tbh.

I was always a hater of avocado, but the demos man. They sound like a totally different record. All this warmth and depth you can hear before all the life was compressed and brickwalled out of it.
    You can get them here
    http://www.gremmie.net/demos/avacado-demos

Listening to King Animal this morning and it suffers from some of the same production flaws as Avocado, both Adam Kasper jobs.

PJ need to branch out from BO'B and Kasper - I'm thinking Nick Raskulinecz. He produced the last two AiC albums along with the band, as well as Rush's last album.

Dude knows how to produce a great sounding record.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

He's certainly not the man to go to if you want to hear an album that hasn't been brickwalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

maybe it's because I only ever listened to it on the car stereo but Avocado was the best thing they'd done since Yield in my opinion. RA and Backspacer on the other hand I'd happily live without. And I'd contest that production is far from the top of the list of problems that King Animal has... Ah well. We are all beautiful and unique snowflakes...

Advertisement