Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

stankratz wrote: »
    No, not, never hopefully. Irish outdoor gigs are a disaster.

I saw them play at an outdoor gig in the Netherlands a few years ago rockin park. Great gig, great weather

Boombastic wrote: »
    I saw them play at an outdoor gig in the Netherlands a few years ago rockin park. Great gig, great weather

Was this in Nijmegan 2007 by any chance?? Was at that show myself. Got not only a great show from the lads but another favourite of mine at the time Incubus were supporting them, as were Kings of Leon. Perry Farrell's Satellite Party opened the day but they did nothing for me apart from speed up my marijuana intake.

Pearl Jam not only work but thrive as an outdoor show, Bonnaroo 2008 in Tennessee was the ultimate in outdoor experiences so far for me and is up there in PJ shows i've been to, Wulheide in Berlin another.

But in Ireland these days the outdoor experience is a grievance I have found, and the uncontrollable weather is the least of it. Unrealistic sound limits, inadequate amenities for food, drink and toilets, long waiting times in the Q upon entry, and I hate to say it but I find a lot of the long one-day festival sort of gigs can attract a fair amount of people who mightn't usually be arseholes, but on a long day on the drink, standing waiting for bands to come on, bands not playing the songs they want to hear and enduring shíte weather can turn a person that way.

All the above said though, I'd still be one of the 1st in the gate:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

NothingMan wrote: »
    My sister was at the Slane where Neil Young headlined with PJ supporting and Neil Young's band were the 4 PJ musicians... bitch.

Wrong - I was at that gig too. Pearl Jam were the main support act. Neil Young's backing band for that tour was Booker T & The MG's.

The Mirrorball tour was the next one I think, with PJ(minus EV) as Neil's backing band.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Wrong - I was at that gig too. Pearl Jam were the main support act. Neil Young's backing band for that tour was Booker T & The MG's.

The Mirrorball tour was the next one I think, with PJ(minus EV) as Neil's backing band.

My mix up so. I thought the Slane tour was the same year as Mirrorball/Merkin ball dealy. But I was 10 so go easy on me :o.

My mix up so. I thought the Slane tour was the same year as Mirrorball/Merkin ball dealy. But I was 10 so go easy on me :o.

:D lol I'm an oulfella in comparison then.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There's a Pearl Jam tribute band playing Fibbers tonight! I think I'll wander along anyway and compare notes to some of the other tributes knockin' about :cool:

jenizzle wrote: »
    There's a Pearl Jam tribute band playing Fibbers tonight! I think I'll wander along anyway and compare notes to some of the other tributes knockin' about :cool:

I'm heading to the laughter lounge later so was hoping to pop in after but the girl I'm going with was afraid of the gypsy rose so not sure if she'll be up for Fibbers...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm heading to the laughter lounge later so was hoping to pop in after but the girl I'm going with was afraid of the gypsy rose so not sure if she'll be up for Fibbers...

Oh dear! It'll be downstairs in Fibs, and it has been done up so it's not quite as bad as it used to be! You should call in anyway, it's been aaaages!

Oh dear! It'll be downstairs in Fibs, and it has been done up so it's not quite as bad as it used to be! You should call in anyway, it's been aaaages!

I'll try convince her. Maybe hit a few normal bars on the way to lull her into a false sense of security.

Fibbers in Parnell??

• Advertisement

Fibbers in Parnell??

yeah, old school Fibbers.

yeah, old school Fibbers.

Can't go. Something else on. Is it Pearl Jem playing? If so, they're f@&!ing brilliant. Enjoy.

Can't go. Something else on. Is it Pearl Jem playing? If so, they're f@&!ing brilliant. Enjoy.

It was a band called 5 against one. They were really good. Typical PJ early hit setlist, Smile was a nice surprise though, one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

the girl I'm going with was afraid of the gypsy rose

LOL.

Video for Mind your manners

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My favourite parts were the paper cut out silhouette storybook parts. I just love that aesthetic anyways. But it worked here in terms of innocence and something pure vs all out warmongering.

They put a lot of thought into this.

The lads are back. With a vengeance that's bubbling under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Neat video. Ironic that a video for a PJ song should fill out some of the meaning behind the lyrics.

Not really. Jeremy and Do the evolution portrayed quite literally what the lyrics were all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Cool video, I like it. Eddie is throwing some serious moves lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

It's simple... DTE and Jeremy were able to stand on their own two feet sans video. This one benefits from the video much more substantially.

• Advertisement

Interesting point.

Over at pearljam.com they are gradually unveiling the album track names, so far they have
    Future Days, Sirens, Yellow Moon, Swallowed Whole.
    Along with Mind Your Manners, that's 5 of the 12(?) new PJ songs that will soon become imprinted in our memory, for good or bad.

Also, for anybody not totally offended by tribute bands, me and the guys are doing a few gigs around Ireland this weekend as Pearl Jem. Unfortunately there's no gig in Dublin, but we're playing the Swagman in Sligo tonight, Monroe's Live in Galway on Friday, and Voodoo in Belfast on Saturday night for anyone in a position to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Over at pearljam.com they are gradually unveiling the album track names, so far they have
    Along with Mind Your Manners, that's 5 of the 12(?) new PJ songs that will soon become imprinted in our memory, for good or bad.

Also, for anybody not totally offended by tribute bands, me and the guys are doing a few gigs around Ireland this weekend as Pearl Jem. Unfortunately there's no gig in Dublin, but we're playing the Swagman in Sligo tonight, Monroe's Live in Galway on Friday, and Voodoo in Belfast on Saturday night for anyone in a position to attend.

You guys in Pearl Jem are great. Seen you a couple of times in the Forum in Waterford. Back when people in Waterford actually had the motivation and money to go out to see live music! Glad to hear ye are still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Any idea if you'll be doing a gig im Dublin anytime soon?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You guys in Pearl Jem are great. Seen you a couple of times in the Forum in Waterford. Back when people in Waterford actually had the motivation and money to go out to see live music! Glad to hear ye are still going.

Thanks for the kind words Joe. The Forum is a serious venue, perfect stage, floor, PA, bar, all that, we were just missing bodies last time we were down there! The stage time was a bit bonkers and definitely didn't help our case, I think it was a 12.15 start we were given and some of the people who were in since 10 and before were a bit restless and departed early as expected. Definitely hope we get back there again, maybe if we're allowed start an hour or three sooner :pac:
    Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Any idea if you'll be doing a gig im Dublin anytime soon?

Not sure just yet, Academy 2 turned out to be a no go for this run of gigs so we're trying to locate a new venue in Dublin, not that there's any shortage of good venues but it can be hard for us to get in without paying a fortune that we don't have. We're doing one in McHugh's in Drogheda at the end of December and I'd like to think there'll be a couple more organised including one in Dublin for January, I hope so anyway and post here if and when it happens.

All that said, by then there'll be a bundle of new songs we'll all be used to hearing and loving/loathing. I read a track by track review (couldn't help myself!) from one of the attendees of a press preview over on 10c and am delighted to hear that the atmospheric piano music that was used on the MYM/Countdown promo way back when is part of a song called 'Infallible'. 34 days, can't fúcking wait.

So.. A few songs leaked(I don't have them but I have heard them)

Interesting stuff. Anyone got any better views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I heard getaway earlier. Its a good song but if it wasnt for eddies distinct vocals i wouldnt have believed it was a pearl jam song

On first listen the four songs sound like a natural progression from backspacer. But definitely better than backspacer. They seem to have given Mike more room than on recent records and he has some really nice flourishes and lead parts.

Getaway - Mid tempo rocker that builds nicely to a strong finish.

Lightning Bolt - Sounds pretty similar to unthought known to my ears but with a chorus, its a pretty good song that I could see being a real grower. Its definitely sounds better than it did at Wrigley anyway. I love the last minute of it and just wanted it to keep going.

Let the records play - Really cool guitar work on this, very different sound. Kind of a bluesy southern rock vibe going. Mike is really tasty on this. Not overly enamored with the vocal melody on this though, but that could change with more listens.

Swallowed whole - Upbeat number, nice solo by mike in this, think I will enjoy this more the more I listen to it.

All in all they are pretty good songs that leave me optimistic about the album. Theres nothing too experimental here, they aren't really pushing themselves, I would hope that the album has some tracks that push things a bit more. If your'e wondering how Eddies voice sounds, its pretty much the same as on backspacer.

Gotta disagree.
    He's singing from we'll within his register and sounds a whole lot better than on BS. no screeching or shrieking.
    This is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Jesus

You guys hear Sirens? First listen I was totally WTF is this ****??

By the fourth listen I reckon it's the best song Pj have written in ten years. Easily.

Total game changer. They're gonna be fvckin huge when this goes out Thursday. Radio and joe public are gonna lap it up

Advertisement