Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Only hearing Sirens now...

Experimental just not in the way a lot of PJ heads wanted. I dunno how I completely feel but I think it's just one piece of a (by the sound of it) fairly eclectic mix. This kinda song seems calculated in that context. I'd kinda rather they had a song like this instead of say, force in something that was phoned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Heard it last night and loved it.

Now my link is gone, so if anyone wants to PM me... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Yes if someone could pm me the link to. I'm going to buy the albumn as well but I'd like a listen. Thanks. Tried the usual places torrents etc with no luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Phantom 105.2 have sirens at 8 or sometime after

Prepare to have your mind blown

You need to hear it a good few times to really get it though.

• Advertisement

The video is live take.
    And it's even better than the album version.

My boys are back with a huge bang:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I have a music boner...

Took me a few listens but, ya, brilliant. Brilliant. Eddie sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

david75 wrote: »
    The video is live take.
    And it's even better than the album version.

My boys are back with a huge bang:)

Sounds great but you could see U2 doing a similar type song. Dunno if that is good or bad...
    Would love to hear Vitalogy type quirkiness again.
    Is Boom still with them?

Boom plays live only. BOB plays the studio keys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Here it is. Must admit its a brilliant tune. You've built it up Dave, but my god you're right! THIS is what they should be going for rather than trying to be all punky and mad. Class song!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VanZandt

Heard it for the first time tonight..... liking it so far!
    Hard to compare it to anything else - just a pity the album aint out for another month

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Here it is. Must admit its a brilliant tune. You've built it up Dave, but my god you're right! THIS is what they should be going for rather than trying to be all punky and mad. Class song![/quote]

I don't think they should be going for anything. PJ have always made the music they wanted and you can't fault that. Some of them are big punk fans and are going to want to express that in their songs and as much as I wouldn't be a punk fan myself I respect their choice and for the most part love what they do with those influences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

NothingMan wrote: »
    I don't think they should be going for anything. PJ have always made the music they wanted and you can't fault that. Some of them are big punk fans and are going to want to express that in their songs and as much as I wouldn't be a punk fan myself I respect their choice and for the most part love what they do with those influences.

You're right, I know it's not my place to tell them what to do. I will say though Mind Your Manners had me wondering if I'd even bother downloading the new album, Sirens has me pre-ordering it from the website.

Same. I've heard about half this record now and it sounds like its gonna be great. MYM did nothing for me but grew on me.
    Sirens, they've knocked it out of the park. Great great song.

Yeah...I'm gonna hold out for a while, and let the song settle.

Boom plays live only. BOB plays the studio keys

Wasn't Boom an official member for Riot Act and Avocado? How come he left? Other commitments. Must say I always liked the crowd shouting "Booooooooooooooom"

He's in the sirens video. He's a touring member is how I understand it

Pearl jam have just written a bigger anthem than their flagship anthem 'Alive'

Thoughts?

I suppose it depends on which Pearl Jam you like. If you like the "heavier" PJ, it maybe won't stand up to Alive. But it's a brilliant song for sure, and is where Pearl Jam are in 2012/2013, they're all in their 40s, so wouldn't expect them to write another album like Ten. (as I mentioned, I liked the quirkiness of Vitalogy), but something like Riot Act (why this gets slated, I don't know) would be pretty cool. I don't dislike Avocado or Backspacer either. I don't dislike any of their albums. They all have their strong points.
    Even Lost Dogs is good, and that's supposed to be a B-sides album! Benaroya Hall showed I suppose where they could go when they put out their mellow side.
    Will be interested to see how much of an input Matt Cameron had in this album, seeing as he was involved in the SG album the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

seachto7 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on which Pearl Jam you like. If you like the "heavier" PJ, it maybe won't stand up to Alive. But it's a brilliant song for sure, and is where Pearl Jam are in 2012/2013, they're all in their 40s, so wouldn't expect them to write another album like Ten. (as I mentioned, I liked the quirkiness of Vitalogy), but something like Riot Act (why this gets slated, I don't know) would be pretty cool. I don't dislike Avocado or Backspacer either. I don't dislike any of their albums. They all have their strong points.
    Even Lost Dogs is good, and that's supposed to be a B-sides album! Benaroya Hall showed I suppose where they could go when they put out their mellow side.
    Will be interested to see how much of an input Matt Cameron had in this album, seeing as he was involved in the SG album the last few years.

Its a good song I'm hoping its a grower. i've been saying for a while that Riot Act and Binaural are great works, both far superior to Pearl Jam and Backspacer, i reckon. Much more interesting, arty records. I would love to see them go back in that direction - looking forward to this album, but I would like to see them give Brendan o'Brien a rest and try a new producer.

As far as in aware Matt didn't write a single song for this. Or at least none made the cut.
    Have you guys heard the other sings that leaked??
    This is almost no code 2 in its reach. So many varied styles and they all manage to succeed at what they're aiming for. Which is really something special. And the best part is, the really really out there stuff, nobody's heard yet.
    Yellow moon, infallible and pendulum are supposed to be completely new territory and or a really well developed follow on to backspacer, depending on who you believe.

Backspacer was great for what it is. Avocado failed miserably for me(check out gremmie.net to get the ore mastered versions of the album. It's a totally different record!)

But a lot is riding on lightning bolt and so far it looks like its gonna be a winner. I hope it is. Really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Thoughts?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Great bloody song, Eddie's vocals are bang on & that is going to go down as one of their best imo

As far as in aware Matt didn't write a single song for this. Or at least none made the cut.
    Have you guys heard the other sings that leaked??
    This is almost no code 2 in its reach. So many varied styles and they all manage to succeed at what they're aiming for. Which is really something special. And the best part is, the really really out there stuff, nobody's heard yet.
    Yellow moon, infallible and pendulum are supposed to be completely new territory and or a really well developed follow on to backspacer, depending on who you believe.

Backspacer was great for what it is. Avocado failed miserably for me(check out gremmie.net to get the ore mastered versions of the album. It's a totally different record!)

But a lot is riding on lightning bolt and so far it looks like its gonna be a winner. I hope it is. Really do.

Are you talking about the Avocado demos (Life Wasted with the longer guitar solo) or is there a remastered version of the whole album somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

seachto7 wrote: »

Lost Dogs is one of my favourites! Down, Hold On, Alone, Sad, Hard to Imagine, Strangest Tribe... how they didn't make any of the studio albums I don't know.

I don't get the hate for Riot Act either. Like that there's no album that I dislike.

I've only heard four tracks so far from Lightning Bolt, but they're all very different!

Lost Dogs is one of my favourites! Down, Hold On, Alone, Sad, Hard to Imagine, Strangest Tribe... how they didn't make any of the studio albums I don't know.

I don't get the hate for Riot Act either. Like that there's no album that I dislike.

I've only heard four tracks so far from Lightning Bolt, but they're all very different!

Riot Act is great. But its too long. Cut out Get Right, Green Disease and Help Help and you have a great record from start to finish, pretty much.

Thoughts?

At this moment I think it's a decent song.

I also think you're making grandiose statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thoughts?

Catchy tune, great vocals from Eddie - no where near Alive though

• Advertisement

Phantom have a big Pj announcement on Monday apparently

Advertisement