Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Chris cornell and the avett brothers to perform footsteps, that sounds interesting!

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/71094

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

a friend of mine came up with a theory they are giving clues to the euro tour on the PJ you tube site. They've posted vids from London, Glasgow, Dublin, Lisbon, San sabastian, Madrid etc.

Big new arena just opened in Glasgow too

Chris cornell and the avett brothers to perform footsteps, that sounds interesting!

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/71094

And Pj to play twice on that show at the end of the week.
    Interesting times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

is there anywhere one can go to listen to the pearl jam town hall broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

stankratz wrote: »
    Apparently Sirens isn't even good enough to be a modern day Bon Jovi B-Side, if you are to believe some of the 'fan' reviews around the net. For me, it is a show-stopper of a tune, something I did not see coming. I thought if PJ were ever to release a song like this, they'd at least keep it under 4 minutes to make it radio-friendly but no, 5 mins 30s of beauty is what they've written, recorded and presented to the world. Plus it features the most passionate and melodic Mike McCready guitar solo that I can remember on a PJ record since maybe Avocado's Come Back or Riot Act's All or None. The final part of the solo that echos back into the intro chords of the song does it for me most.

That said, apart from the flat-out wrong 'Bon Jovi' comparisons being thrown about, Sirens is not a song for every Pearl Jam fan and like any piece of work in the public domain is rightfully open to and deserving of some kind of criticism. I'm just more inclined to agree with statements like "It's not my thing/It doesn't do it for me" than somebody stating as fact that "It's shít/terrible/god awful" when clearly a song like Sirens is not any of those things.

There's Yellow Moon, a song off the new album that is being proclaimed by many fans as a masterpiece. So far on my few listens, not only can I not hear that yet but it is far from the many songs that I look forward to listening to when I put on the album. There is no way in the world though, as a fan of this band, that I could call it in any way a genuinely terrible song, or shíte, or a Neil Young B-side (which could also be complimentary!) As well as that, I know myself from past experiences that when it comes to this band the songs I don't gel with instantly can be the ones that have the greatest effect further down the road. For years I skipped 2 songs in particular...Tremor Christ off Vitalogy and No Way off Yield, bonkers I know. These songs finally clicked with me in a big way and then I got to hear them both at the same gig in Belfast 2010 where I almost melted into the floor.

Anyway fúck all that, it just goes beyond me how easily people can rank something so new alongside albums that have been released and in their minds/lives for 13-22 years. "Not in my top 6 Pearl Jam albums"...well of course it fúcking isn't! Maybe when you actually get the thing in your hands, listen to it to at least the point where you can remember and identify songs beyond "that song with the cheesy wo-wo-woo synth effect" before you dismiss it (for the benefit of yourself) and publish your opinion that it is "laughable crap" on the band's 'fan forum' (for the benefit of the band you 'love'). At this early stage, I can only say that songs like Getaway, MYM, My Father's Son, Sirens, Lightning Bolt, Infallible, Pendulum and Swallowed Whole give me hope that someday I will consider this collection a classic. I have taken more songs out of this album on the first few listens than I did in 2 years with Binaural, which is now an ironclad favourite of mine.

Sorry folks, I'm just venting here. I know it's the internet, but the amount of negativity I've read in the last few days directed at the band and the rest of us who are trying to enjoy a good thing for what it is makes me question why some people call themselves fans in the first place. Of course I'm not talking about Boards, but over on the 10c forum where fans allegedly spend their time. Between complaints of "My seats which I haven't actually seen yet suck" and "They only played 27 songs, bit of a letdown" to the everyone-knows-better-than-the-band comments like "They should have put that disjointed Avocado B-side which has only been heard live a few times on the album instead of song X", I really do think we as Pearl Jam fans have been spoiled over the years. Sadly there are those of us who can see it and act accordingly, and then there are the rest which leads to me wasting page space with posts like this!

TL:DR Eh...I'm not even sure, but yeah Mickey I think Sirens is a cracking song:D

I have to disagree with you about Vitality.....f@&kin terrible album. Self-indulgent tripe! Just my opinion. Haven't heard the new album yet....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Vitalogy, bar one or two filler "in between" tracks is one of their best. Wish they would attempt more experimental stuff again. Looking forward to listening to the new album...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

All great artists produce their best work in their 20s and 30`s-when they still have something to prove,think Neil Young,R.E.M.,U2. Pearl Jam are no different.Their first 3 albums and Yield are classics.The new album,like the 4 before it, is a decent effort.Any PJ fan in their 30`s will always have a deeper connection with the first 5 albums as opposed to the last 5.I think Lightning Bolt is their best since Yield.

Easily their best since Yield but its also too easy to omit Binaural.
    Also a great record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I thought Avocado was a decent album......?? I went off them after Vitality......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I thought Avocado was a decent album......?? I went off them after Vitality......

Id actually put it as their worst, but to be honest I've never given it a fair chance. Just can't get into it.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Great post. And I agree with 99% of everything you said.
    I'm sure it's fans of any band that have a rabid fan base are like this but maybe not? Pj fans have been spoiled I think. And with the result the complain. Endlessly. About everything. It's beyond tiresome. I rarely read the 10c forum. It's either blind sicophants jizzing all over the band/tenclub, or constant bitching about anything and everything.

Lightning bolt is a strange one. I think it's like a No Code. It'll only really reveal itself if you out in the time with it. I'd love to see where we all are with it in a years time.
    It'll also be interesting to see what songs survive in the live setting.
    This band have an annoying habit of writing songs for an album then discarding them utterly (still haven't seen force of nature live and I'd love to).
    There's so many curveball tunes on this one. I've no idea how this will go.

Yep, for me it is like a mixture of both No Code and Riot Act. The passing of time will do a lot for this album I feel, where Backspacer was more or less critically acclaimed within media circles upon release.

As regards in the live setting, I FÚCKING KNEW PENDULUM WAS OPENER MATERIAL THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT!! As I'm sure many others did, but I'm delighted they opened with it in Pittsburgh last night making it a possibility for future gigs to come. What a setlist, I checked out some of the videos of the new tunes there, they sound tight as fúck. On 2nd glance at the setlist it is interesting to see that they are willing to sacrifice certain 'hits' to take in more of their back catalogue, with Corduroy and Evenflow being glaring omissions. If it means seldom played tunes like Unemployable and Of The Girl getting put in in their place, I support this motion!
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I really cant make up my mind about this album. Theres some amazing stuff - really liking Getaway, MYM, Fathers Son, Yellow Moon, Pendulum and Infallible. Let The Records Play is terrible though, Swallowed Whole is so-so. I'm hoping these tunes will be growers.

Complete growers. I was sorta grooving to LTRP from first listen, but now I really like it. As for Swallowed Whole, it's a funny one. There's something listenable for me in the tune but I'm not quite there with it yet. Speaking of growers, Future Days is also on the up for me despite my intentions!
    I have to disagree with you about Vitality.....f@&kin terrible album. Self-indulgent tripe! Just my opinion. Haven't heard the new album yet....

I will have to disagree with your disagreement Mickey.:pac: Immortality, Corduroy, Nothing Man, Not For You, Last Exit, Spin The Black Circle, Betterman, Whipping, Tremor Christ...you're on the wind up right?? Just kidding, each to their own. If it's any help, the new album sounds nothing like Vitalogy, not to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Vitalogy is a classic PJ record, slightly ruined by the likes of Bugs, Foxymop, Aye Davanita and Pry, To. Love the new record so far - took me about 5 listens for it to sink in, but its a definite upgrade on Backspacer. Not sure where it would rank in my top PJ album list though. Probably not top 5.

Vitalogy has some their finest songs and biggest hits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Been listening to it since I picked it up today. It goes in some interesting directions.

It's a bloody great record.

One of their best I'm beginning to think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

In fairness it is the first PJ record in a while that I can say I haven't got my head fully around, in a good way. With Backspacer I always thought it was more like an EP, this has plenty to chew on.

Buffalo last night

Setlist:
    Pendulum
    Low Light
    Sometimes
    Corduroy
    Lightning Bolt
    Mind Your Manners
    Do The Evolution
    Immortality
    My Father's Son
    Even Flow
    Swallowed Whole
    Sirens
    Once
    Comatose
    I Got ****
    Infallible
    Present Tense
    State of Love and Trust
    Porch

Encore 1:
    Off He Goes
    Yellow Moon
    Future Days
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Rats
    Got Some
    Rearviewmirror

Encore 2:
    Go
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    Indifference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Infallible sounds like that Christina aguelera song know the one? 'you are beautiful in every single way'
    Sad but true..Christ,why did you have to post this?? Won`t ever be able to listen to it again nowicon10.png

Sorry.
    If you sit down stick on headphones and read the lyrics, this comparison soon disappears.

Pittsburgh bootleg
    (audio download A++)
    ow.ly/pL9Es
    http://t.co/OlnsVT2Iqr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

€17 in HMV for the album. It's free to stream on Spotify, but I'd like to have a physical copy to stick on in the car, as well as go through the sleeve etc. Call me old fashioned...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

seachto7 wrote: »
    €17 in HMV for the album. It's free to stream on Spotify, but I'd like to have a physical copy to stick on in the car, as well as go through the sleeve etc. Call me old fashioned...

I got it off http://www.ie.wowhd.com/ for €10.09 including shipping.

In a huge return to classic form, the actual cd book adds a lot to this experience.
    That's not happened in far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

the actual cd book adds a lot to this experience

I've yet to pick up my own copy, but I love that kind of stuff.

I remember taping Vitalogy off a mate of mine and had just that for years. When I finally got my own copy of it, I wasn't looking forward to the better sound quality, but rather having that crazy booklet to flip through!

Artwork for Vitalogy and No Code will never be rivalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Artwork for Vitalogy and No Code will never be rivalled.

Did all (CD) copies of No Code have the polaroids?

Mine didn't, in fact I only ever got the sleeve and disc. I bought it in a shop that sold a mate a copy and wedged in loads of the polaroids and two copies of the album, so have always suspected that they had no clue what they were selling and missed bits of it.

The first year of its release no code came with a set of Polaroids. Both the vinyl and cd had them. 9 different sets in all(I'm not kidding)

Then the following pressing had no Polaroids only a small cd sized book of the lyrics and reprints of the Polaroids in a very thin fold out cardboard sleeve.

The original cd was a bulky cardboard package. The vinyl was. F*ckin amazing. All four panels folded out. It was a real experience in the great tradition of brilliant album/brilliant artwork.

It's rare as hens teeth now. Don't even look at eBay it'll scare you how much it goes for.

And yeah sounds like that shop screwed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The first year of its release no code came with a set of Polaroids. Both the vinyl and cd had them. 9 different sets in all(I'm not kidding)

Then the following pressing had no Polaroids only a small cd sized book of the lyrics and reprints of the Polaroids in a very thin fold out cardboard sleeve.

The original cd was a bulky cardboard package. The vinyl was. F*ckin amazing. All four panels folded out. It was a real experience in the great tradition of brilliant album/brilliant artwork.

It's rare as hens teeth now. Don't even look at eBay it'll scare you how much it goes for.

And yeah sounds like that shop screwed up.

I have the polaroid edition of the CD. Bulky is the perfect term! Pretty much any of the older PJ vinyl go for outrageous prices. Its absurd that people charge hundreds for albums. Hell, there's a copy of shadows collide with people by john frusciante on discogs, where the seller says there's a scratch on one side, and he's still looking for €200 for it!

Can't beat an album that has nice packaging. I've the vinyl of F#a#(infinity) by godspeed you! black emperor. It comes with a polaroid and a penny squashed on train tracks. Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Haven't lsitened to the new album yet, will get to it tomorrow. Loving the rotation of Yield songs in the setlists so far, and length of the setlists.

Was given the PJ vs. Ames Bros book as a presant...man its damn good to see all that stuff.

• Advertisement

That's a great book but I still feel stung.
    I splashed out nearly €300 for the orange limited edition version in the slip case, signed by Ames Brie and klausen and three mini posters. Then I saw the regular edition. (The green one) and they're identical!! Riiiiiipped off!! Cool book though.

You should get Brad Klausens book 'from a basement in Seattle'
    Still the best poster artist Pj ever had.

Advertisement