Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

david75 wrote: »
    The first year of its release no code came with a set of Polaroids. Both the vinyl and cd had them. 9 different sets in all(I'm not kidding)

Then the following pressing had no Polaroids only a small cd sized book of the lyrics and reprints of the Polaroids in a very thin fold out cardboard sleeve.

The original cd was a bulky cardboard package. The vinyl was. F*ckin amazing. All four panels folded out. It was a real experience in the great tradition of brilliant album/brilliant artwork.

It's rare as hens teeth now. Don't even look at eBay it'll scare you how much it goes for.

And yeah sounds like that shop screwed up.

Dang, I never even got the booklet with it. Said shop were famous for being a bit odd, stuff like charging €88 for Xbox and PS2 games (that's not a typo).

At least No Code actually fits onto a shelf. Not like Backspacer and Vitalogy that sit in my big pile of irregularly shaped album sleeve shame... does the Lightning Bolt CD fit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It does yeah. Beautiful little package.
    Artwork goes so well with the songs.

Got picked for this phantom competition to see Pj in Seattle.
    Effin bricking it. No idea what the elimination process will entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Bet you'll be swotting harder than you ever did for your leaving cert!
    Best of luck, fingers crossed for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Righto, I only ever had MP3 copies *ahem* of No Code and Binaural. Bad copies sonically as well, so I think I need to purchase the physical product!

Not sure what to make of the new album. Listened to it yesterday. Will probably pick up a physical copy, but would have liked them to attempt something a little different. It sounds the same as previous stuff, which is no bad thing, as it's still good though...

Just picked up No Code and Vitalogy on CD for a grand total of €12. Happy out!

Must get around to watching Touring Band again this week, and listening to Benaroyal Hall album...

Will come back and revisit the new album then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

That's awesome. How much longer is ti running for? I can't listen to the radio in work :(

What did you text in to get noticed?

I wanna bring my OH to the show (his first) and propose to him during the gig.
    We've been together 7 years and I've seen 33 pj shows since 96.
    He hasn't seen one. It's time.
    I don't have a whiskers hope in a hurricane. But sure ill give it a bash.
    Joe n Keith hinted this morning that its a treasure hunt. Not a quiz.
    I don't really see how that'll work. The quiz idea would have sorted the really big fans from the not so big.
    I dunno. I know my Pj but probly Haven't a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I wanna bring my OH to the show (his first) and propose to him during the gig.
    We've been together 7 years and I've seen 33 pj shows since 96.
    He hasn't seen one. It's time.
    I don't have a whiskers hope in a hurricane. But sure ill give it a bash.
    Joe n Keith hinted this morning that its a treasure hunt. Not a quiz.
    I don't really see how that'll work. The quiz idea would have sorted the really big fans from the not so big.
    I dunno. I know my Pj but probly Haven't a hope

Best of luck. Ye seem like a pretty knowledgeable PJ head. The treasure hunt could include song lyric clues...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

seachto7 wrote: »
    Righto, I only ever had MP3 copies *ahem* of No Code and Binaural. Bad copies sonically as well, so I think I need to purchase the physical product!

Not sure what to make of the new album. Listened to it yesterday. Will probably pick up a physical copy, but would have liked them to attempt something a little different. It sounds the same as previous stuff, which is no bad thing, as it's still good though...

Just picked up No Code and Vitalogy on CD for a grand total of €12. Happy out!

Must get around to watching Touring Band again this week, and listening to Benaroyal Hall album...

Will come back and revisit the new album then...

I think its quite different to Backspacer, which always felt like more of an EP than an album to me for some reason. Theres a lot more depth to this record, Let The Records Play is a real dud but other than that its solid and interesting. Touring Band is great, but their best DVD is the Immagine in Cornice DVD from the 2006 tour. Absolutely brilliant. The fan club DVD from the Showbox in 2002 is also brilliant.

Yeah, the Immagine in Cornice is brilliant.

• Advertisement

I call that DVD cocaine in cornice. Everything is too fast!! Matt is an amazing drummer but he over speeds everything. All the time.
    He's a drum god and I love him but the overspeed wrecks everything.

I'm in the final too \o/. How many of us will there be I wonder? Feeling quite unsure about what to expect. Plus it's a work night :/ could be interesting.

NothingMan wrote: »
    I'm in the final too \o/. How many of us will there be I wonder? Feeling quite unsure about what to expect. Plus it's a work night :/ could be interesting.

Well done!
    Joe and Keith hinted it would be a treasure hunt.
    If its anything like the treasure hunt for the fender replica kurt cobain guitar it'll be horrible in every level. People hitting each other and being ***** generally.
    Hopefully it won't be that. But a quiz would be fair. And scary too.

Well done!
    Joe and Keith hinted it would be a treasure hunt.
    If its anything like the treasure hunt for the fender replica kurt cobain guitar it'll be horrible in every level. People hitting each other and being ***** generally.
    Hopefully it won't be that. But a quiz would be fair. And scary too.

I'd like to think PJ fans would be of a higher calibre but if they're such a big prize on the line... Quiz would be fair but very nerve wracking. I'm very intrigued. Not too glad it's Halloween night and a work might too but have it do what you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not blown away by the album, but its only first listen. The songs are very good though, so hopefully it'll grow some more ( I fully expect it to). Swallowed Whole and Sirens are only ones to grab me, MYM grew on me.

Mushy wrote: »
    Not blown away by the album, but its only first listen. The songs are very good though, so hopefully it'll grow some more ( I fully expect it to). Swallowed Whole and Sirens are only ones to grab me, MYM grew on me.

Mushy.
    I've fine from WTF is this?? To 'its their best work since Yield'

Repeated and dedicated listening via headphones are recommended.

And read the lyrics. It adds so much. He hasn't been this on point lyrically since I don't know when.

Mushy.
    I've fine from WTF is this?? To 'its their best work since Yield'

Repeated and dedicated listening via headphones are recommended.

And read the lyrics. It adds so much. He hasn't been this on point lyrically since I don't know when.

I should have mentioned I was only on Swallowed Whole upon posting that. Let The Records Play and Sleeping By Myself are resonating instantly. I think there's something about the second half of PJ albums for me (I'm in the Backspacer is great fanclub).

Downloading through Spotify anyway, long hours in work tomorrow!

Then you're one if the rare people Force of nature makes sense to.

One of Pj's best songs ever. And mad crazy underplayed.

That half of the album is partly my immediate go-to for PJ.

Then you're one if the rare people Force of nature makes sense to.

One of Pj's best songs ever. And mad crazy underplayed.

A song that would have no problem standing alongside any other work of their's in my opinion. To me the song tells the story of a guy who's going out with a girl who loves to party. He is dedicated unquestionably to her, but the song never states whether that feeling is reciprocated. All the while he is 'waiting', and wondering if his belief that 'love will keep us safe' will hold true.

The use of coastal, ocean and weather imagery only helps to convey the whirlwind unpredictability of the relationship more and it strikes some chords within me. The straightforward and melodic structure of the song lets Eddie come to the forefront and soar to heights he really has no business hitting after 20 years of singing hard and smoking!

With that said, maybe that it is the reason it is severely underplayed at gigs. The rare time it has got a run, from the boots I've heard circa late 2009-2010, the song sounds like it has been dropped a semitone from the record. The only other song I've heard the guys do this for is The Fixer, and I'd suspect this is so that Eddie can reach the highs comfortably and without doing himself an injury. With The Fixer, they kind of have to play it every few shows as it was a hit, but I'm sad to say I can't see Force Of Nature getting more than 1 run at best per tour. I genuinely love that song and if they play it in New York David, don't dare pull out your phone or any recording device, just take it all in!*

*I might PM you my phone number, just in case they do play it :D

• Advertisement

I would if I had credit!! Never gonna happen though.
    He surprised if that one ever gets played again.

Great post though! I'm with you 100%
    And yes Pj drop tune all the time for eds sake. Really doesn't matter to these ears. A lot of these songs sound better dropped.

Confirmed. The winners of the Pj comp in phantom get a tour of PJHQ the morning of the gig.

Oh god

Confirmed. The winners of the Pj comp in phantom get a tour of PJHQ the morning of the gig.

Oh god

I wish they'd just down play it so my ineveitable defeat won't feel too bad. Really wish I knew what the final will be... also, what would I be willing to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

The album is really growing on me, loads of great tunes on it. I love Yellow Moon, Sirens, Swallowed Whole.
    Let the records play is good but the chorus throws me off it every time. But great album, really enjoying it. Liked Backspacer but this seems to have more fav's on it.

I'm blown away. It's a bloody great record. Few missteps here and there and some hugely questionable production decisions(Yellow moon in its entirety. )
    But other than that its brilliant.

Also in case anyone missed it, this EP Glen Handard is releasing has EV on it. This is gonna be super collectible and a rarity. Get it while you can.
    http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Glen-Hansard-%252d-Drive-All-Night-EP-12%22.html

Have played it through a few times, very much enjoyable record. Definitely how I imagined it would go after hearing opinions on it.

Did anyone order the vinyl from tenclub?
    Apparently different vinyls have been sent out. Red ones yellow ones white ones and of course black ones.

Still not sold on it. Getting bored half way through...

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Still not sold on it. Getting bored half way through...

the second half has the better songs IMO. More slower type stuff, but then Let The Records Play is really funky!

Advertisement