Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

seachto7 wrote: »
    Still not sold on it. Getting bored half way through...

Honestly seachto. I was in the same boat as you. But like Sirens, if you keep with it and give it a good few gos over a few days, it'll open up for you.
    I hated it. Now I think it's one of their best or at least to be counted among their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

david75 wrote: »
    Honestly seachto. I was in the same boat as you. But like Sirens, if you keep with it and give it a good few gos over a few days, it'll open up for you.
    I hated it. Now I think it's one of their best or at least to be counted among their best.

You're such a Pearl Jam pusher :D

I've only listened to it in bits and pieces. Waiting for the CD to arrive in the post (old school). There's definitely a few songs I'm not sure about, and others that could be favourites. Really looking forward to giving it a few proper listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

tracklisting is all wrong. Should be..

1. Pendulum
    2. Getaway
    3. Mind your manners
    4. Infallible
    5. Lightning Bolt
    6. Sirens

7. Swallowed whole
    8. Let the records play
    9. Sleeping on my own
    10.My father`s son
    11.Yellow moon
    12.Future days

Some might say running order is irrelevant.I disagree. The album loses momentum with the one two of Infallible and Pendulum,plus the latter would have made an eerie opener before the energy of Getaway-think Sometimes and Hail,Hail....the album runs out of steam-three slow burners in a row...MFSon as track 10 would have seen to that.

Pearl jam pusher:) tell phantom that, will ye??

I agree about the set list. Needs a more even flow(pun unintended)

It sort of matches No code. And that's no bad thing. It'll make more sense in time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I'm really getting into this album so far. I loved the last two but did miss the experimental touches (particularly absent from Backspacer). This is the kind of album I'm into - different tempos and styles all on one album.

I think the tracklisting is perfect actually. Mind you I'm not really into changing around track listings.

Ed sounds great.

That AV club interview with Stone (that David75 posted) was solid.

Oh and David if ye do win ye gotta take pics (prob won't be allowed). Who knows?

• Advertisement

Funny you mention it.
    One of The phantom DJs stressed today saying if you win, no phones or camera are allowed in there at all.

I wouldn't need or want one. Just to be in that room. That's where they made all these songs. That's where it all comes together.
    Dreamt about visiting there since we got the first glimpse of it inside the No Code sleeve and in Single Video Theory.

I been lucky. I've met ed. I've gotten to say thanks for everything they've done in music and in me own life. But to get to see that room? That'd be beyond magic.

Sounds fanboi and it is I guess. I've no problem saying it though. Pj have made things better just through songs and gigs. Lucky to still have them.

Except avocado. But I'm sure ill understand it someday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I won't give up on it! ;)

Don't.
    It's wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm I the only one that thinks that Getaway is pretty ****ing great?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

After I think my 7th listen through yesterday the album clicked with me. There are maybe 6 or 7 tracks that really stand out to me and I'm quite surprised how much mind your manners has grown on me as I didn't think to much of it to begin with.
    Gonna pick it up in HMV at lunch time as was listening to it on sonys music unlimited. Is there a nice collectors edition available?

• Advertisement

I'm I the only one that thinks that Getaway is pretty ****ing great?

Getaway is sex. Really great sex

weiland79 wrote: »
    After I think my 7th listen through yesterday the album clicked with me. There are maybe 6 or 7 tracks that really stand out to me and I'm quite surprised how much mind your manners has grown on me as I didn't think to much of it to begin with.
    Gonna pick it up in HMV at lunch time as was listening to it on sonys music unlimited. Is there a nice collectors edition available?

The shop edition is the same as the fan club edition so it's a lovely package anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,289 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i really hope they announce a Dublin date soon.

2 nights in the o2 would be good or the olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just bought the vinyl there. $24.99 plus shipping. Nice to add to the collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spaceboy

Fantastic album, really like it, even "sleeping by myself" is not as bad as I feared :) Heading over to see them in Los Angeles next month, my first time to "experience" an american crowd, I can't imagine they will be a patch on european crowds :) Looking forward to it all the same. Hope they get over here in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

listen to it now and must say i really liked it. bk to old school pearl jam. few tracks sticking out that have been mentioned before. watch your manners is quite good cant wait to see/hear some of these songs live if they tour here next year. long over due a visit to dublin

Off to New York in the morning to see the boys play in Brooklyn.
    Sometimes wonder why I do it. Then I hear a song and I know why.
    You're not a pearl jam 'fan'. It's a vocation. Or gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very jealous of ya david, how I'd love to be in the position to go Stateside for a show. Have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Off to New York in the morning to see the boys play in Brooklyn.
    Sometimes wonder why I do it. Then I hear a song and I know why.
    You're not a pearl jam 'fan'. It's a vocation. Or gtfo.

Booked my NY trip for next month. How I wish I could go back in time and know I could be going this weekend. Have a blast mate.

Mushy
    European crowds are infinitely better. More relaxed easy going but we give it out all singing along and showing our love.
    US crowds are sort of Ungrateful. And I can say that. I've seen PJ in 10 different US cities. And at the ed solo shows they just scream stupid stuff at him the whole time while he's trying to talk or play.
    You're probably not missing anything crowdwise. Believe me.
    But we don't go for crowds do we? So..

Seattle crowds? That might be different.

• Advertisement

Grand, I intend doing 3/4, maybe 5 shows next year, so hopefully will be belters.

Have they ever not been?

It'll be rockin:)

Glasgow Belfast Dublin London.

That's what I reckon.

Glasgow Manchester Dublin London. Would love to see em in Bilbao though.

Have they ever not been?

It'll be rockin:)

Glasgow Belfast Dublin London.

That's what I reckon.

And hopefully a return to Wulheide in Berlin, O2 World (last year's venue) pales in comparison to the wonderful outdoor venue they normally play on the outskirts of the city.

All the best in the US David. Last and only time I went over to see PJ in the States was the short 08 Summer tour. I got to see them at the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee, outdoor in Virginia Beach and indoor in MSG and had literally the time of my life in the process...ah those were the fúcking days!

No matter what by the looks of things you'll get 2 powerhouse sets, maybe even a Force of Nature! Somewhere along the way, share a moment's thought for those of us who can't be there and are at home reloading the setlist relay thread:(

Wow. You saw them with perry? Doing mountain song??
    I have that on my iPod ! Great version great song!

Yeah I'm sitting up watching the set come in. Some mad stuff!!
    I'll try keep in touch! Leaving for the airport shortly.
    Ugh.
    Talk soon! And keep entering the phantom comp!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Mushy wrote: »
    Glasgow Manchester Dublin London. Would love to see em in Bilbao though.

Saw them there the last time, tis a great venue but the crowd was a little sedate. Usually the European crowds kick the US arses but that might change now that GA is in force there now. I think the South Americans win that battle for entertaining crowds though!
    stankratz wrote: »
    And hopefully a return to Wulheide in Berlin, O2 World (last year's venue) pales in comparison to the wonderful outdoor venue they normally play on the outskirts of the city.

All the best in the US David. Last and only time I went over to see PJ in the States was the short 08 Summer tour. I got to see them at the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee, outdoor in Virginia Beach and indoor in MSG and had literally the time of my life in the process...ah those were the fúcking days!

No matter what by the looks of things you'll get 2 powerhouse sets, maybe even a Force of Nature! Somewhere along the way, share a moment's thought for those of us who can't be there and are at home reloading the setlist relay thread:(

Wuhlheide is the best place I've ever seen them anyway. Whopper venue, great setup and a great atmosphere. MSG had to have been great because of the great company :P You may have even been responsible for this awesome photo of Stone

288_23921986756_825_n.jpg

Woooo. Force of Nature. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

How many are going to be in this final on Halloween night does anyone know? They've been picking contestants for 2 weeks (5 days a week). How many spots given per day? Last contestants tomorrow I heard tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

God, this new album f**king rocks - apart from a couple of dodgy tracks in the middle. Listened to it via Youtube last night.

Future Days, and Pendulum are standouts imo. And the more I hear Sirens, the more I love it.

Hello from NYC. On my way to the venue now.
    Good to hear they're closing the competition tomorrow
    Really hope it isn't a treasure hunt. Jut wouldn't be fair.

No idea what's in store tonight. Details of the soundcheck are appearing as I speak. Not reading it cos the lads have a habit of sound checking great songs and then playing them three nights later. Don't want my hopes up.

It's pearl jam in New York though. I can scratch another dream off my wishlist.
    I'll post later with a brief review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

jenizzle wrote: »
    Wuhlheide is the best place I've ever seen them anyway. Whopper venue, great setup and a great atmosphere.

Same here, that was an unreal setting and gig 4 years or so ago. Opening with Why Go.. I nearly died!

Advertisement