Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Pj in Europe this coming summer is a certainty. The only question is for how long. Could either be the small 5 date thing they did after back spacers release, or a full three week/month long stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I'd nearly prefer if Matt took time off from PJ for a while.

The last album was almost 5 years ago.
    Big enough break:)
    He's in PJ 15 years. It's his band now. And SG never really all got along. I'd say that's reading its head again. Plus, King Animal is out a year now whereas Lightning Bolt is brand new.
    He's prioritising and that's exactly what he should be doing.

Cameron is the only band member who needed to ask for time off from his day job to attend this reunion. Since 1998, he's been Pearl Jam's drummer, and everyone acknowledges that no matter how well Soundgarden 2.0 progresses, Pearl Jam is his priority. "We're sort of shoehorning all the Soundgarden stuff into my Pearl Jam schedule," he says. "So far it's been good, but I don't want it to get to where my head is going to explode."

Yeah I get that. Just think the band has become a bit complacent. I like Lightning Bolt but the band need a bit of a shake up.

• Advertisement

I saw them twice last month. They've shaken it all up in a big way.
    They're playing better than I can ever remember hearing them play.

Just saw the news about Matt Cameron there now, wow that is a big loss for Soundgarden. Of course they could/will get in an absolute beast who will do a more than adequate job filling in on the drums, but SG without Matt is an unprecedented event as far as I can remember. I know if I was in that band and was only used to going out on stage and playing those songs with Matt Cameron, I'd almost feel naked without him. Still though, Chris, Ben and Kim gotta eat too!

I'm sure it was an awkward decision to have to disclose, but surely it had to be a no-brainer for MC? No disrespect to SG at all, it's just that 'Pearl Jam' has been paying his bills for about 13 years now! I'm not sure would it have been his decision to make; Ed (monotone, with serious face): "So Matt, when will you be telling Chris and the guys that you're, you know, coming to Europe with us?" :pac:

Whether you like Matt Cameron in the band or not, the man is scorched into the fabric of Pearl Jam long by now and has given nothing less than 100% from Binaural to Lightning Bolt and every gig in between. Not only will he play drums effortlessly until you tell him he has to stop, but he is definitely the strongest vocalist in the band after Ed and some of his his live singing (while drumming a complex rhythm in a song like 'You Are') is really a thing to watch and listen to.

So...Euro dates; Is there any of you who would like to see a return to the previous 10c pre-sale format? i.e. Every member has a shot at any show, not a lottery? Personally, I always scored the tickets i wanted this old way but I understand it was often the stuff of nightmares for many other fans. This will be my first stab at getting tickets through the lottery system if they go that way with the inevitable Euro 2014 tour.

P.S. I see the boys are currently setting the stage on fire in Dallas tonight as I type this. So far, Can't Keep and Brain Of J are there, 2 great tunes to see in any PJ set IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I think a lot of PJ fans are indifferent to Cameron because he never featured on the first five albums,and most fans would acknowledge that those first 5 albums are superior to the 5 albums since.The long forgotten Dave Krusen`s drumming on TEN was a huge factor in their initial success.Dave Abb and J.Irons also had a heavy style-think GO or BRAIN OF J.

I`m no drummer,and doubtless some will argue that Cameron has better timing or technique or whatever..Personally,I`d love to see Matt go on tour with Soundgarden and have Vedder bury the hatchet with a certain former drummer.I`d be first in the queue if Abbruzzese was on board for Europe 2014 !!

To be fair to Mr. Cameron I am usually a fan of his and he helped put Binaural into the stratosphere for me. I am looking at all this from a recording perspective and maybe my feelings should be directed at Brendan O' Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think a lot of PJ fans are indifferent to Cameron because he never featured on the first five albums,and most fans would acknowledge that those first 5 albums are superior to the 5 albums since.The long forgotten Dave Krusen`s drumming on TEN was a huge factor in their initial success.Dave Abb and J.Irons also had a heavy style-think GO or BRAIN OF J.

I`m no drummer,and doubtless some will argue that Cameron has better timing or technique or whatever..Personally,I`d love to see Matt go on tour with Soundgarden and have Vedder bury the hatchet with a certain former drummer.I`d be first in the queue if Abbruzzese was on board for Europe 2014 !!

I think as well the problem is that until Matt came on board, PJ saw a lot of drummers come and go, so it sort of took away any credibility to the role, you're just thinking "New drummer? Sure he'll be gone in a year or two", so I never really saw the drummers as being part of the band, unlike Neil Peart of Rush or Danny Carey of Tool for example. That said, Matt has been with the band for a fair stint now, and it doesn't look like he's going anywhere any time soon.

Personally, I do find it very hard to tell how good a drummer is. Someone like the two aforementioned, it's fairly obvious they're up there, or take Keith Moon or Dave Lombardo, again, their skill is obvious, and I think Matt's playing with Soundgarden is quite impressive, but with PJ where the time signatures are mainly 4:4, it's hard to stand out from the crowd.

• Advertisement

I love Matts playing overall, but even though he's served more time by far with Pj, he isn't really a natural fit for their songs.
    Something tasty like Fell on black days with soundgarden is where I thought he'd be a natural fit for Pj. But he seems to overplay everything. Especially in the live setting with them. As well as playing too fast but that's a different topic.

I'm told the boots from the 98 tour, when he really didn't know the songs properly, are his best performances with pj. And for all the records he's done with them at this point, he does seem to have finally found his place in the band with LB. And these new songs do work unbelievably well live(except infallible which is a total set killer) but other than that he might finally have settled in.

We won't know for sure until the next record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Matt's sound is really all over the SG stuff. He seems to hold back a bit with PJ. Listen to his drumming on the new SG record, then compare it with the new PJ stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I reallyhope they play sonisphere and not glastonbury :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Fi H wrote: »
    I reallyhope they play sonisphere and not glastonbury :)

I really hope they play thomond park and not sonisphere. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I really hope they play thomond park and not sonisphere. :-)

I had a dream where I met then in Limerick train station as they arrived for their gig in Thomand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Mushy wrote: »
    I had a dream where I met then in Limerick train station as they arrived for their gig in Thomand!

Sometimes dreams come true mushy ............sometimes they come true........sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Anyone get their Lightning Bolt Vinyl yet? still waiting on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone get their Lightning Bolt Vinyl yet? still waiting on mine

I'm still waiting.

I'm told they're just sending out the new batch cos the initial run were flawed. That said, my mate ordered only one and received the flawed one on Monday and the replacement on Tuesday.
    Shouldn't be much longer

Grapevine says it might be a good idea to keep June/July free of any holiday plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

david75 wrote: »
    Grapevine says it might be a good idea to keep June/July free of any holiday plans.

Wife due start of June with our second.
    I may have to see if we can rearrange delivery dates.

Else I will luck out and get a pass travel with one of the lads instead. She will be gutted to miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Mushy wrote: »

That would be after their intimate gig in st James church in Dingle right ? ......

Be bloody amazing if they did other voices
    When is that filmed?

weisses wrote: »
    That would be after their intimate gig in st James church in Dingle right ? ......

I'd love to say so, but Thomand was the venue. And in case people get hopes up, the train was direct from Cork to Limerick (non-existant), and was mentioning all the stops on he Cork-Wexford line cos they needed an extra train.

I'm kinda hoping dates appear post-Christmas, has been an expensive week or two with Christmas/booking a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Any venue rumours??

I'd day Belfast is a lock. Dublin is iffy.

July...Belfast...support from the Orange Order and some bonfires yeah? I'd say Dublin is more likely than Belfast, and if its a bigger show (outdoor) it'll definitely be Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Why do you say that? It's not like they skipped Belfast last time they played here.

I say that because Belfast kicked the **** out of Dublin in the last shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

I say that because Belfast kicked the **** out of Dublin in the last shows.

Yes it did, but as mentioned above Belfast in July has no hope of going ahead

Advertisement