Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Personally I've always loved the albums 'Ten' and 'Vs' but beyond that have never really gotten into the band much, which I admit wholeheartedly is my own fault, it's just that those two albums seem to posess a sort of life of their own for me and it's all I've ever wanted to explore about the band

If I was going to pick up their less commercial - is that fair to say - material, what would people recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Personally I've always loved the albums 'Ten' and 'Vs' but beyond that have never really gotten into the band much, which I admit wholeheartedly is my own fault, it's just that those two albums seem to posess a sort of life of their own for me and it's all I've ever wanted to explore about the band

If I was going to pick up their less commercial - is that fair to say - material, what would people recommend?

Yield, its probably their best album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Have you hear their third album Vitalogy? Check it out next if not. Yield is great as someone mentioned. And the new one is great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Vitalogy and Riot Act for me but to be honest I always find 4-5 brilliant songs on nearly all their albums,a couple of ok-ish songs and couple of forgettable songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I'd nearly assume Vitalogy didn't do anything for you (hence your lost of interest). I love them all but I'd say in this case try self-titled (Avocado).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

No code and yeild.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

crazygeryy wrote: »
    No code and yeild.

Same for me, two best albums they made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

No Code is probably my favourite.

Love the new album too.

Caught them live a couple of months ago and they were ridiculously good. Such a great back catalogue.

Hoping to go and see them live later this year. Tickets sell out everywhere but in fairness I'm not surprised...would love to see them and will check the suggestions here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Vitalogy no code yield. Each amazing in different ways.

Ignore binaural, riot act and the avocado album. Especially the avocado record. Awful.
    Backspacer is hit n miss

The new one is mostly great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

david75 wrote: »
    Vitalogy no code yield. Each amazing in different ways.

Ignore binaural, riot act and the avocado album. Especially the avocado record. Awful.
    Backspacer is hit n miss

The new one is mostly great.

Definitely do not ignore those albums, especially Binaural and Riot Act! Never understood the grief Binaural got, yes it's a different sound but is a solid album and would be at the top of my favourite PJ albums anyway.

The only PJ material I would ignore would be "Bugs" and "Hey Foxymophandlemama, that's me". They just annoy me so much in the middle of an epic album.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

RichFTW wrote: »
    Definitely do not ignore those albums, especially Binaural and Riot Act! Never understood the grief Binaural got, yes it's a different sound but is a solid album and would be at the top of my favourite PJ albums anyway.

The only PJ material I would ignore would be "Bugs" and "Hey Foxymophandlemama, that's me". They just annoy me so much in the middle of an epic album.
    Hah, fully agree about Bugs and Foxymophandlemama, That's Me! Taint an otherwise fantastic album. Not too bad if you had a CD player at the time to skip the tracks, might've been a nuisance if using cassette though!

Nobody's mentioned Lost Dogs(a double album of Bsides and rarities) a lot of it better than a lot of songs that ended up on albums!

Ps I love all the songs on binaural(except gods dice which is ****e) but its not an album I'd recommend to someone trying to explore Pj. Let them find It after vitalogy no code and yield.

and so it was as it ever shall be David goes on about his hate for Avocado.

Your disdain for Binaural and RA is ... fresh.

Read it again. Binaural has great songs but not an album I'd recommend to someone looking to get into pearl jam.

Read it again. Binaural has great songs but not an album I'd recommend to someone looking to get into pearl jam.

your right, I should have said your view on Binaural and RA is something fresh.

Riot act has by far the best production and sound of all their albums. Big warm warm and present. The songs though. Another one I wouldn't be putting up front as a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Riot act has by far the best production and sound of all their albums. Big warm warm and present. The songs though. Another one I wouldn't be putting up front as a recommendation.

Riot Act has lots of good songs. I'm a fan of Save You, I am Mine, Thumbing My Way, You Are, 1/2 full and All or None.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

If ever there was a band who's back catalogue should be gone through chronologically, it's Pearl Jam's. Dipping in and out here and there and only giving a passive listen will only provide a passing, at best, connection. Whilst ever album isn't a 5 star, usually they're 3.5-4 at the very least. But the band change and shift their style over time and with age and go through periods of sonic reinvention before often harking back to the 'old them' and then assimilating the new with the old.

Binaural has some excellent tracks. Breakerfall, Evacuation, God's Dice, Nothing As It Seems, Grievance, Insignificance...then the tracks left off it such as Sad and Education that eventually surfaced on Lost Dogs. I, for one, love that particular era of the band. A little older, experimental and sure of themselves like never before. Especially coming into Avacado.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 loveboatcaptain

I just listened to mirrorball right now for the first time in over 15 years. Amazing album and I think it's one of " uncle Neil's " more underrated . A true rock album. It is somewhere I would love to pj head towards again. Even though they've been around for near 25 years they never cease to amaze when it comes to showing respect and admiration for their elders. A mirrorball part 2 would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Anyone see into the furnace?release is used in the soundtrack at the start of the movie. A brilliant brilliant pj song but its use in this movie is seriously bad timing And doesn't fit in at the start of the movie at all. Its used at the end to which Is better. Imo

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Anyone see into the furnace?release is used in the soundtrack at the start of the movie. A brilliant brilliant pj song but its use in this movie is seriously bad timing And doesn't fit in at the start of the movie at all. Its used at the end to which Is better. Imo

Apparently Eddie recorded a soundtrack for that movie but the producer didn't use it because he found eds voice distracting. That version of Release was recorded specifically for the movie, slightly different lyrics on it. Anyway hopefully this soundtrack album surfaces soon, if it matches the quality of Into the Wild it will be very good.

The director of that movie said he and ed agreed those songs would never emerge.
    It's not like ed can release them now, they'd be out of context.
    Plus if he was going to, I think at least even one of them would have appeared by now, he just did an Australian tour and none were played so I'd say its goodnight and goodbye to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I still have 2 tickets available for the Berlin show if anyone is interested - would hate to see em go to waste :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I still have 2 tickets available for the Berlin show if anyone is interested - would hate to see em go to waste :eek:

Will get onto my mate and see if he's up for it. We went over a few years back, its a great venue. would love to see them again there. pity ya can't head over

I'm still hoping to see them in Milton K this Summer, couldn't get tickets for Leeds

Just been listening to the soundtrack of the documentary film, that Unplugged version of 'Black' still gives me ghoosebumps

And 'Just Breathe' (a song I've only recently been introduced too) is fast becoming my favourite

Black rebel motorcycle club announced as support for the Milton Keynes show.

Devastated ill be missing that.
    Lol. Me hole. They're sh!te:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I like them. Not gutted I won't be able to make this show now with them added, assume they'll have a bigger band playing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Seen BRMC twice last year and they were great both times.

Doubt I'll make it to Milton Keynes but they're a good addition to the line up IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Is the Milton Keynes gig an all day session? Did i see that doors open at 2? Giving it some serious consideration here.

Advertisement