Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

fluke wrote: »
    Yawn

X2 ....
    Anyone mention Slane - 25th Anniversary yet ....? :rolleyes::mad:

"We wont leave it so long next time" etc etc .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

They're not a band that I think is creatively spent but they prob have spent more time in the last few years being overly reflective rather than moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭flasher0030

[QUOTE=fluke;104588034]They're not a band that I think is creatively spent but they prob have spent more time in the last few years being overly reflective rather than moving forward.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. I couldn’t get into Lightning Bolt at all. Just found it drab. I think it was Mind Your Manners that just set the tone for me. Couple of good tunes on Backspacer alright. But in my opinion, half of it is filler.
    Would love to see them come back with something powerful. But can’t see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Yeah the last time I truly felt they were firing on all cylinders was Avocado. I like both the last two albums but feel they need to step out of their comfort zone.

Would love to see them paired up with a new producer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

fluke wrote: »
    Yeah the last time I truly felt they were firing on all cylinders was Avocado. I like both the last two albums but feel they need to step out of their comfort zone.

Would love to see them paired up with a new producer.

I think lightning bolt was that attempt to be creative and do something different. It didn't work. It's actually quite like no code I think in that it's such a weird hodge podge of songs with no relationship to each other/all sounding so different. But where no code worked in that light, LB really doesn't I don't think.

I wouldn't say 100% Pj are a spent force creatively but I am beginning to feel uncertain about their abilities creatively too.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »

As the lyrical genius Jessie J sang .....

" Its all about the money, money, money ........" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

I'm their biggest fan but they really are taking the pi$$ now with all these reissues,rereleases,cinema screenings,DVDs etc.....RELEASE SOME NEW MUSIC FFS,or at least give us a European tour to look forward to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Didn't Eddie sing a new song at Ohana?

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    As the lyrical genius Jessie J sang .....

" Its all about the money, money, money ........" :rolleyes:

There's something kinda final about them doing this. I wonder are they shutting up shop as a band? Eds touring more solo. Matts released a solo album. I wonder..

david75 wrote: »
    There's something kinda final about them doing this. I wonder are they shutting up shop as a band? Eds touring more solo. Matts released a solo album. I wonder..

Hall of Fame achieved... Id say they are done ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

:(

Hall of Fame achieved... Id say they are done ...

Funny you say that I always though they'd go that far and then quit too.

But they are booked for a tour next summer so let's see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

There's probably one more studio album left in them...all doing their own thing individually, but a tour should get the collective juices flowing again

Dp sorry

I don't think the release of the vinyl boxsets and the reissues of Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado mean they are done. People have been crying out for reissues of them for years on vinyl, I figure they are just giving people what they want.

The box set run was limited to 500 copies too, hardly a swansong, just a neat item for collectors with more money than sense.

I'd say we'll see more new music from them, Mike and Stone said only a couple of months back that they are writing atm for the next record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They don't really need to make a new album though. When people go see them, they want to hear the older stuff, plus maybe things like Worldwide Suicide or Last Kiss. Now, PJ certainly have a "die hard" fanbase, but in fairness would you prefer a set made of Ten / Vs / Vitalogy classics, or leaning more on Lightning Bolt and Avocado? I know what I'd answer.

Problem is, everything since Avocado has pretty much sounded exactly the same. You could compile the best of those three albums and they would sound like the same record. You can't say that about Vs / No Code / Yield for example.

So whether they've lost that creative spark, or are happy to just get together and knock out 14 songs without thinking too hard about them, either way it won't affect their ticket and t-shirt sales.

I'd love a really meaningful, fluid, dynamic album from them, but until they change their set up and start using new recording techniques, any new album is most likely going to sound like the last three. Does anyone really want that?

They don't really need to make a new album though. When people go see them, they want to hear the older stuff, plus maybe things like Worldwide Suicide or Last Kiss. Now, PJ certainly have a "die hard" fanbase, but in fairness would you prefer a set made of Ten / Vs / Vitalogy classics, or leaning more on Lightning Bolt and Avocado? I know what I'd answer.

Problem is, everything since Avocado has pretty much sounded exactly the same. You could compile the best of those three albums and they would sound like the same record. You can't say that about Vs / No Code / Yield for example.

So whether they've lost that creative spark, or are happy to just get together and knock out 14 songs without thinking too hard about them, either way it won't affect their ticket and t-shirt sales.

I'd love a really meaningful, fluid, dynamic album from them, but until they change their set up and start using new recording techniques, any new album is most likely going to sound like the last three. Does anyone really want that?

If they would only do a few gigs in little 'ole Ireland ......

"We wont leave it this long next time" ....
    "Mike Mc fu**ing Cready "
    "Whats the point ?? .... Ohh its a real cool place to play in Dublin..." etc

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Just booked two tickets for "Let's Play Two" in Liffey Valley

Is it just coz I'm from the country or is that cinema horrid pricey? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Just booked two tickets for "Let's Play Two" in Liffey Valley

Is it just coz I'm from the country or is that cinema horrid pricey? :D

Those one-off shows are always more expensive.

If they would only do a few gigs in little 'ole Ireland ......

"We wont leave it this long next time" ....
    "Mike Mc fu**ing Cready "
    "Whats the point ?? .... Ohh its a real cool place to play in Dublin..." etc

Do you have a point..or are you just here to post shïte?

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Do you have a point..or are you just here to post shïte?

Are you the boss ? ... .....

Are you the boss ? ... .....

No, that's Springsteen ;)

Erik Shin wrote: »
    No, that's Springsteen ;)
    Now whos posting shíte ??

Now whos posting shíte ??

Still you?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Just booked Liffey Valley meself!!🤘

• Registered Users Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's fifteen feckin' quid to see Let's Play Too in Belfast.  That's mental.  I'll pass.  The DVD will probably be cheaper and I can watch it as often as I like.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's fifteen feckin' quid to see Let's Play Too in Belfast.  That's mental.  I'll pass.  The DVD will probably be cheaper and I can watch it as often as I like.

Jaysus thats crazy

Advertisement