Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipswatch [may contain scores...and Roy Keane]

• 25-04-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

They are currently one up on Cardiff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

should that not have spoilers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anyone know where I can get a jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

2-0 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

keane was impressed by the team bus.

more news at 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You missed a golden opportunity here Des to put in an early contender for the Thread Title of The Year Award. The thread should have been called:
    IPSWATCH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Pighead wrote: »
    You missed a golden opportunity here Des to put in an early contender for the Thread Title of The Year Award. The thread should have been called:
    IPSWATCH

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don't really have anything to add the thread but I just thought I'd pop in to congratulate Des on an excellent thread title. IPSWATCH. Ingenious in it's simplicity. Great stuff Des. You're a shoe in for the coveted "Thread Title of The Year Award" in my books. Well deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Added a bit on to title, remove if you want Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ipswich fan shop opening in Cork on monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wouldn't dare question a mod :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ryanair flights to Ipswich booked out. Sunderland lose 5000 fans in two days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

keane starts with a win 3-0 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

One game to go and four points off the playoffs.

I reckon Keane can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

keane starts with a win 3-0 now

9-2 to win that game today. Was in the star as tip off the day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One game to go and four points off the playoffs.

I reckon Keane can do it!

Did Keane come with an 8pt bonus for Ipswich? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Did Keane come with an 8pt bonus for Ipswich? ;)

I have no idea how far they are outside the playoffs really.

Any excuse for a joke though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why? Did you see lots of Sunderland jerseys in Ireland when Keane was in charge of them?

The fascination is with Roy Keane. Success for Roy Keane means success for his club. Cheering a club on doesn't make them a fan.

/ I feel very strongly about this because too many people think the people in this country are actually turning from Man Utd to Celtic to Sunderland to Ipswich fans and it doesn't my ****ing head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ryanair flights to Ipswich booked out. Sunderland lose 5000 fans in two days.

[pedantic]Closest airport is Norwich airport;)[/pedantic]

Quality thread title.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Why? Did you see lots of Sunderland jerseys in Ireland when Keane was in charge of them?

Yes, but they're remaindered now. :D
    The fascination is with Roy Keane. Success for Roy Keane means success for his club. Cheering a club on doesn't make them a fan.

/ I feel very strongly about this because too many people think the people in this country are actually turning from Man Utd to Celtic to Sunderland to Ipswich fans and it doesn't my ****ing head in.

Which is to say that it's a celebrity cult, and has little to do with football. Who should Graham Norton manage?

Irish fans to flock to Ipswich, according to the Sunday Times. Have we no shame?

Yes
    Well I'm someone that had to spend a few months working in a bookies in Dublin 1 and genuinely didn't see 1 Sunderland jersey so I just don't believe you.
    SectionF wrote: »
    Which is to say that it's a celebrity cult, and has little to do with football. Who should Graham Norton manage?
    What are you talking about? Lots of Japanese go to Celtic games to see Nakamura. They want to see Celtic win because Naka's playing for them. They're not Celtic fans though. I know what the Swedish think of Larsson so I'm sure the Swedes would really want him to succeed in management, therefore cheering on the team he manages.
    Irish fans to flock to Ipswich, according to the Sunday Times. Have we no shame?
    First of all you lot are actually increasing this media attention by seeing your imaginary Sunderland jerseys...
    Anyway, have the Japanese no shame? That's just one example. I'm sure there's many clubs where the fans are attracted to one individual. Keane happens to be the biggest personality in this country, sport or non-sport.

I'd be very happy though if you just copped on and realised people are supporting Roy Keane and they are not going swapping their Sunderland jerseys for Ipswich ones because they don't claim to support those teams.

As I said I have a lot more interest in Ipswich now. I can't help that. I'm interested in Keane. Lots of people adore Keane so will feel very strongly for him to succeed and wait for it, success for Keane means....

/ I feel I can only really talk about Celtic but when Celtic buy a player you'll see that Celtic matches tend to be then shown live in that country. At least for the first season. We are not unique.

Have we no shame?

Personally I don't understand why people get up in arms over things like this.

Why would be people ashamed of having an interest in the most successful Irish footballer that ever lived, people want to see him do well and to continue being a success that means now wanting teams he manages to do well.

I don't want to start an eircom league debate but it seems to be mostly big EL fans that get frustrated with things like this as they see Irish people flying to another country to watch a team that personally has nothing to do with them pay for match tickets etc when they won't even go to watch their own local EL teams (maybe I picked this up wrong but it's an observation I'm making from boards as I don't know anyone outside of boards that gets annoyed at it)

People travel to support keane, they get a weekend away have a bit of craic and get to watch a game of football, why is this a bad thing?

Personally I don't think I would go to ipswich to watch a game and the only time I saw sunderland was when they came to play boh's pre-season, but what other fans of football and of roy do is really none of my buisness and if i was getting upset about people i don't know from adam going away and enjoying themselves I would really be looking into my own life to see why I get so upset about something that has no baring what so ever on my enjoyment of the game.

Some people (not you personally) have a real chip on their shoulders about people enjoying themselves here, from shaking shamrocks and wearing leprechaun beards etc etc who cares what they do as long as they support the team and have a good time?

after all it is entertainment, it's suppose to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I'm just looking forward to hearing the first Keane/Ipswich/whatever you want to call them supporter, express thier life long hatred for Norwich

I'm just looking forward to hearing the first Keane/Ipswich/whatever you want to call them supporter, express thier life long hatred for Norwich

Stopped hating them once Robert Fleck left :rolleyes:

again if you do hear any of those stories they won't be first hand and just might be made up. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ntlbell wrote: »
    Personally I don't understand why people get up in arms over things like this.

Why would be people ashamed of having an interest in the most successful Irish footballer that ever lived, people want to see him do well and to continue being a success that means now wanting teams he manages to do well.

I don't want to start an eircom league debate but it seems to be mostly big EL fans that get frustrated with things like this as they see Irish people flying to another country to watch a team that personally has nothing to do with them pay for match tickets etc when they won't even go to watch their own local EL teams (maybe I picked this up wrong but it's an observation I'm making from boards as I don't know anyone outside of boards that gets annoyed at it)

People travel to support keane, they get a weekend away have a bit of craic and get to watch a game of football, why is this a bad thing?

Personally I don't think I would go to ipswich to watch a game and the only time I saw sunderland was when they came to play boh's pre-season, but what other fans of football and of roy do is really none of my buisness and if i was getting upset about people i don't know from adam going away and enjoying themselves I would really be looking into my own life to see why I get so upset about something that has no baring what so ever on my enjoyment of the game.

Some people (not you personally) have a real chip on their shoulders about people enjoying themselves here, from shaking shamrocks and wearing leprechaun beards etc etc who cares what they do as long as they support the team and have a good time?

after all it is entertainment, it's suppose to be enjoyed.

Ntlbell in well-thought-out, non-trolling post shocker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

/ I feel I can only really talk about Celtic but when Celtic buy a player you'll see that Celtic matches tend to be then shown live in that country. At least for the first season. We are not unique.

Indeed. Argentina show every Man Utd game live now because of Carlos Tevez when they didn't beforehand.

I've no issue with the cult of Keane. He was a brilliant (if vicious) footballer and is media gold because of his controversial nature and his having walked out on his country. He's always going to be a good engine for a bandwagon.

Lorraine Keane also has lots of fans, as have the Corrs, and Twink. It is, as has been pointed out, a bit of fun.

What I really do wonder about is the notion that we are all suddenly planning to become diehard Ipswich supporters because some billionaire we've never heard of has taken a punt on him for his no-name team.

And anyone who says they haven't seen Sunderland shirts in Ireland in the last few years must have had their eyes closed.

From Black Cat to Tractor Boy -- guide to making the Ipswitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What I really do wonder about is the notion that we are all suddenly planning to become diehard Ipswich supporters because some billionaire we've never heard of has taken a punt on him for his no-name team.
    I'm sorry but who is "planning to become diehard Ipswich supporters"?

And anyone who says they haven't seen Sunderland shirts in Ireland in the last few years must have had their eyes closed.
    I've only ever seen 2 Sunderland jerseys over here, and they were in Temple Bar on a born and bred Mackem & his missus over to for the pre-season games when Keane took over.

image001.jpg
    Diehard might have been putting it rather strongly, I'll admit. I'm sure most of those 'supporters' of Blackburn way back then (remember those shirts?) and of Sunderland most recently could not be so classified. The ones I am referring to are the day-trippers being targeted by Ipswich. They'll probably move on when Keane has his ultimate tantrum there too.

I'm really mystified by the absence of Sunderland shirt sightings. I've never gone to much trouble to seek them out, but I have bumped into far more of them in Dublin than any other random lower EPL team.

And I'm sure they weren't in Lifestyle Sports, Elvery's etc. because the owners of those businesses thought they would add depth and a certain northern English je ne sais quoi to their stores' colour schemes.

have the Japanese no shame?
    Some do, some don't ;)

Do you think it's Liverpool or Celtic they'd be copying?

While it's certainly something I'd have a little chuckle at I certainly wouldn't get all hot and bothered about seeing Irish people wearing Sunderland or Ipswich jerseys. It's no more different than seeing someone wearing a Utd. or Liverpool jersey.

I think what bothers people the most is the type of person that will change their team every few seasons depending who's winning or playing or even maanging them. That's understandable but it doesn't happen that often tbf.

We're a strange breed us Irish. You wouldn't hear an Irish man complain about an English supporter wearing a Lazio jersey when Gazza went to play in the Serie A so why should it be any different if the same happens over hear when possibly our greatest ever footballing export takes over the reins at a club? Live and let live folks.

image001.jpg
    Diehard might have been putting it rather strongly, I'll admit. I'm sure most of those 'supporters' of Blackburn way back then (remember those shirts?) and of Sunderland most recently could not be so classified. The ones I am referring to are the day-trippers being targeted by Ipswich. They'll probably move on when Keane has his ultimate tantrum there too.

I'm really mystified by the absence of Sunderland shirt sightings. I've never gone to much trouble to seek them out, but I have bumped into far more of them in Dublin than any other random lower EPL team.

And I'm sure they weren't in Lifestyle Sports, Elvery's etc. because the owners of those businesses thought they would add depth and a certain northern English je ne sais quoi to their stores' colour schemes.

I've seen people wearing them twice.

Once at the boh's V sunderland.

and again after the match in a pub in town.

They were from sunderland tho.

Never saw one before that and never saw one after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

A good few of the young lads where I live have Sunderland jerseys which they were quite regularly, because a relative of theirs was at the club for a long time (Stephen Elliot). They also have a few Preston tops etc.

In fairness, who gives a sh't, enjoy your own interests.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    We're a strange breed us Irish.
    Hey. That's my line!
    You wouldn't hear an Irish man complain about an English supporter wearing a Lazio jersey when Gazza went to play in the Serie A so why should it be any different if the same happens over hear when possibly our greatest ever footballing export takes over the reins at a club? Live and let live...

The difference? The EPL is not dying on its feet because English fans are in love with Italian football to the extent that marketing the Serie B equivalent of Ipswich is seen as a viable proposition there.

This would be entirely a neutral matter -- live and let live, as you say -- were it not for the fact that taking in an LoI game wouldn't even occur to most of our Lazio shirt-wearing equivalents.

The difference? The EPL is not dying on its feet because English fans are in love with Italian football.

I knew we would eventually get to the real issue here.

Roy Keane is not single handedly bringing down the numbers at EL matches.

Why is it relevant?

ntlbell wrote: »
    hmmmm.....
    The difference? The EPL is not dying on its feet because English fans are in love with Italian football to the extent that marketing the Serie B equivalent of Ipswich is seen as a viable proposition there.

This would be entirely a neutral matter -- live and let live, as you say -- were it not for the fact that taking in an LoI game wouldn't even occur to most of our Lazio shirt-wearing equivalents.

image001.jpg
    Considering how many people in this country actually think lots of Irish people turned into Sunderland supporters overnight it's no wonder the shops started stocking their jerseys. How many they sold is the real question though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

al3jlz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Oh look; I found Boh's new jersey for next season.......

chip-on-shoulder-big.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ipswich Town boss Roy Keane has released seven players as he begins his rebuilding plans at Portman Road.

Former Bolton Wanderers defender Ivan Campo, Tommy Miller, Billy Clarke, Dean Bowditch and Chris Casement have been told they can move on
    Jai Reason, who is currently on loan at Blue Square Premier League play-off finalists Cambridge United, and Kurt Robinson, who spent the closing stages of the season on loan at Rushden & Diamonds, have also been released.

Meanwhile, Keane is in talks with Alex Bruce, Shane Supple and Ed Upson about extending their stays at Portman Road.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5299251,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, he doesn't like Miller, that's the second time he has got rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Roy Keane in controversial managerial decision shocker

Wow, amazing news !! :pac:

Oh look; I found Boh's new jersey for next season.......

chip-on-shoulder-big.jpg

Missed that.

All realtm fans have a chip on their shoulder. At least it's my chip on my shoulder (and it would be on my jersey). It's when you start importing and swapping chips, as in 'We Tractor Boys', that you need to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cheering a club on doesn't make them a fan.
    A truer word never spoken mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

A barstooler is a barstooler. What difference does it make if he swops clubs willy nilly? If your typical plastic from the middle of Ireland proclaims his everlasting love for Manchester one minute, and for Liverpool the next, what exactly has changed? The button he clicks on on the Ryanair website once every year? Which Sky Sports channel he watches? He has exactly the same relationship to Liverpool as to Manchester, so why cant he just swap around when it suits him?

In practically all cases he chose which club he "supports" for for some nonsense reason, so why cant he just pick another one for a different nonsense reason at some other point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CiaranC wrote: »
    A barstooler is a barstooler. What difference does it make if he swops clubs willy nilly? If your typical plastic from the middle of Ireland proclaims his everlasting love for Manchester one minute, and for Liverpool the next, what exactly has changed? The button he clicks on on the Ryanair website once every year? Which Sky Sports channel he watches? He has exactly the same relationship to Liverpool as to Manchester, so why cant he just swap around when it suits him?

In practically all cases he chose which club he "supports" for for some nonsense reason, so why cant he just pick another one for a different nonsense reason at some other point?
    Its very interesting to see yet another 'I'm LOI and a real fan' post.:rolleyes:

I supported the LOI for many years and I never considered an EPL /English Football league club fan any different to me. They support a soccer team, so what if it means they don't get to see them live that often?
    The game is Association football and was started in England, what year were the club you support formed?
    Why did I even bother with this:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Missed that.

All realtm fans have a chip on their shoulder. At least it's my chip on my shoulder (and it would be on my jersey). It's when you start importing and swapping chips, as in 'We Tractor Boys', that you need to worry.

How do you define a 'real fan'?

Please enlighten me.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement