Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year ban from AH for saying "ghey" too much

Options
  • 25-04-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

lol

thread link

I said in my first post in the thread I would be accused of trolling, but wasn't expecting to be banned for a year for over use of the word "ghey"

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59966429&postcount=32

in the same thread people are calling each other ghey, I didn't personally abuse anyone or call anyone "ghey"

the thread title even has the word ghey in it!

I'm not looking for feedback on my opinion in the thread, but a banning for overuse of the term "ghey" seems a bit ridiculous

can an smod or an admin have a chat with Terry as I'm started to get a bit tired of the admin in AH and constantly jumping on the troll band wagon instead of actually reading the post's

I backed up my opinion with reasons people don't agree and got a bit worked up so I must have been deliberatley trying to troll:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Looks like you were banned for trolling, as this is one of many bans from AH I'd imagine you haven't got much room to troll. Why do you think it was for saying the term 'ghey'? Your signature says that you are the Soccer sh|t stirrer of the year 08, this insinuates you stir sh|t doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Gordon wrote: »
    Looks like you were banned for trolling, as this is one of many bans from AH I'd imagine you haven't got much room to troll. Why do you think it was for saying the term 'ghey'? Your signature says that you are the Soccer sh|t stirrer of the year 08, this insinuates you stir sh|t doesn't it?

Because I asked Terry to clarify, in his reply he stated I used to the word ghey too much to get a reaction.

I don't see what the signature has to do with that thread?

as far as i know you can't ban someone for having a sig?

just to add to that i was banned previously and it was removed on the basis of a feedback thread IIRC

If you accept that you stir it up in one forum (a heavily modded forum) then logic dictates that you stir it up in other fora. Hence, you are muddying the waters wrt whether or not you troll fora, which would automatically make me think that if there is any ambiguity over your trollishness in a post, I will automatically link you as being a troll.

Gordon wrote: »
    If you accept that you stir it up in one forum (a heavily modded forum) then logic dictates that you stir it up in other fora. Hence, you are muddying the waters wrt whether or not you troll fora, which would automatically make me think that if there is any ambiguity over your trollishness in a post, I will automatically link you as being a troll.

The football fora is prettyu unique and people get worked up about me my titned view on the game, I don't troll the soccer forum.

Trolling is to do something to get a reaction.

That thread the opinion got one because it goes against the grain, I don't "create" the opinion to get a reaction, that's the difference.

I argued my point people argued there's that was that

i don't see where the trolling came into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

ntlbell wrote: »
    The football fora is prettyu unique and people get worked up about me my titned view on the game, I don't troll the soccer forum.

That thread the opinion got one because it goes against the grain, I don't "create" the opinion to get a reaction, that's the difference.

You insulted gay people. Personally. Last time i checked, personal abuse in AH earns you something nasty. Since you've gotten many "somthing nasties", you got a ban.

Coincidentally, 1 + 1 has been known to equal 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You were trolling, pure and simple.

Exhibit A
    Exhibit B
    And plenty more crap where that came from.

You're lucky you weren't banned permanently tbh. Terry was being quite fair banning you for just one year.
    If you want to be a troll, you have to deal with the consequences.
    So either quit complaining about the ban or quit being a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I can accept that the idea that homosexuality is wrong or "broken" as you said can be a valid viewpoint. Had you argued that point eloquently or with even the slightest bit of respect for other posters and their feelings, your posts would not have been seen as trolling.

Instead you chose comparisons and language which you knew would rile people up: Cancer, mentally retarded dwarf, paralysis, ailment, genetic deformity etc.

In response to Reflector's post:
    Reflector wrote:
    NTLbell, you are possibly the most offensive person of whose posts I have ever had the mispleasure of reading.

you said:
    Only possibly? I'm not doing a good a job as I normally do then.

Now I know you'll say that was tongue in cheek and not an admission of trolling but considering your record and reputation around here, I'm inclined to take that at face value.

Then there's this:
    If two men want to bum f*ck

one can handle the smell and the other can handle the pain, then go for it.

Hardly the stuff that reasoned debate is made of.

And this:
    bisexual isn't really worth talking about.

And this:
    I didn't know I had a take on gay sex.

did i forget the as$ lube or something?

And this re bisexuals:
    I doubt they could be decisive enough for long enough

And this in relation to a post mentioning bestiality, scat, S&M among other things:
    Nice insight into your weekends tho, sounds like your having a ball

And this:
    If you ever throw the little fella into another man's ar$e and he gets pregnant, let me know, I know a few people who would love to talk to you.

As I said, I can accept that the view that homosexuality as something gone wrong can be a valid viewpoint. Considering the delicacy of the issue and the potential for offence, anyone holding a fairly controversial view such as that should be sensitive about how they phrase their arguments. If that someone already has a reputation for trolling and sh1t stirring that they seem to actually revel in, they should be doubly careful.

You weren't. You got banned. As far as I knew it was for trolling. If Terry banned you for excessive use of the word ghey and only for the use of the word ghey, then a year is very harsh. If that's the case, I can talk to Terry about lifting the ban and applying a new one with a much clearer explanation and a much longer length.

Let me know if you want me to do that.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Christ. It wasn't just for the one word.

I sat down and read through that entire thread last night and the only logical coclusion that I could come to was that you were trolling.
    My reply via PM was a bit short, but I was tired. The Ghey thing was the only part I could remember off the top of my head and I really don't want to read the thread again.

Javaboy summed it up nicely in the above post.

I have sigs turned off, so I can't see that soccer thing.
    The length of your ban was determined on your histtory of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Last two posts make the ban sound more than fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

orestes wrote: »
    Deserved.

And funny!

Anyway if you wanted an SMod to look at it why did you post in Feedback and not HelpDesk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

And here I was with my hopes high that it was from the Soccer Forum.:(:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

lol

thread link

I said in my first post in the thread I would be accused of trolling, but wasn't expecting to be banned for a year for over use of the word "ghey"

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59966429&postcount=32

in the same thread people are calling each other ghey, I didn't personally abuse anyone or call anyone "ghey"

the thread title even has the word ghey in it!

I'm not looking for feedback on my opinion in the thread, but a banning for overuse of the term "ghey" seems a bit ridiculous

can an smod or an admin have a chat with Terry as I'm started to get a bit tired of the admin in AH and constantly jumping on the troll band wagon instead of actually reading the post's

I backed up my opinion with reasons people don't agree and got a bit worked up so I must have been deliberatley trying to troll:rolleyes:

facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I strongly disagree with you on that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thread moved to the Help Desk.

Ban history:

009-04-25, 12:20 am After Hours Terry Banned. Trolling. 1 Year(s)

2009-04-02, 1:17 pm The Ladies Lounge g'em Banned. trolling and contravening the charter despite multiple warnings, infractions and temporary bans Permanent

2009-03-23, 12:22 pm The Ladies Lounge g'em Banned. OT posting, ignoring a Moderator, back-seat modding, take you pick... 7 Day(s)

2009-01-11, 5:07 pm Soccer Thanx 4 The Fish Banned. Abuse. Breach of charter. 7 Day(s)

2008-12-05, 12:58 pm After Hours Terry Banned. Personal abuse. 14 Day(s)

2008-12-05, 12:55 pm After Hours Terry Banned.

2008-08-27, 8:46 pm Personal Issues Wibbs Banned.

2008-08-13, 7:57 am Personal Issues Beruthiel Banned. Permanent

2008-08-08, 8:15 pm Personal Issues Victor Banned. badgering other poster 7 Day(s)

2008-08-07, 3:07 pm Open Source oscarBravo Banned. Trolling. 1 Month(s)

2008-07-29, 5:25 pm Parenting Thaedydal

In all serious ntlbell, you are a known troll.
    This latest permaban brings you up to three on this site.
    That says a lot about the kind of poster you wish to be.
    You were trolling. You got banned.

I'm not trying to clear myself from all previous wrong doing's, just this one.

I just don't see where the trolling came into it in this thread.

It's my opinion on the subject yes there was the bit of tongue on cheek on the bisexual thing, "if they could be decisive for long enough" clearly a joke like? if something like that can't be said in AH where can it be said?

There was no personal abuse towards anyone, sure homosexuals might be offended but goes with the topic of conversation in that thread,

the previous AH ban that's mentioned there i'm sure was over turned on the basis of a feedback thread so i think this is my first ban there and for it to be a year is a little harsh.

I appreciate i sometimes I draw very close to the line, but i think in this instance i was clearly not trolling.

"if they could be decisive for long enough" clearly a joke like?

Was it though?
    Considering how well you are known by a lot of mods. Considering your online persona is known, a mod can only come to one conclusion with regards to your comments.
    I appreciate i sometimes I draw very close to the line

We are ALL well aware of that.
    We see you do it constantly.
    What are we supposed to conclude given we know this?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Was it though?
    Considering how well you are known by a lot of mods. Considering your online persona is known, a mod can only come to one conclusion with regards to your comments.

I thought it was pretty obvious, yes. so basically your saying from here on in a mod can ban me at will because based on my history i may be trolling and doesn't have to take into context the forum, the subject etc i'll just be banned because well i've done it in the past i'll do in the future?

this sounds like a very lazy way of not dealing what went in the thread and the ban in question.

We are ALL well aware of that.
    We see you do it constantly.
    What are we supposed to conclude given we know this?

The same as a mod does with everyone else?

I thought it was pretty obvious, yes. so basically your saying from here on in a mod can ban me at will because based on my history
    Your history counts. If there is ambiguity regarding whether or not you are trolling then the fact that you are a proven troll may sway the balance.

Ergo: stop trolling and behave and you'll be fine.

The same as a mod does with everyone else?

It doesn't work like that.
    As Gordon said, your history counts.
    You cannot behave in a certain manner for years and expect to be treated like everyone else.
    Your past behaviour counts.

• Advertisement

It doesn't work like that.
    As Gordon said, your history counts.
    You cannot behave in a certain manner for years and expect to be treated like everyone else.
    Your past behaviour counts.

I'm posting the same way for 5 years

4 years without a ban

now every time i enter a thread that's anyway heated i get the troll card thrown at me and banning

As I said in the very first post on that thread i said i would be accused of it and i didn't troll in the thread at all, there was some tongue and cheek like the bisexual thing but there was no trolling.

I argued my case, others argued there's and that was pretty much it

and as i stated all ready the previous ban in AH was over turned due to a feedback thread so IIRC this is my first and a year is harsh no?

Advertisement