Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Don't 'Save Cancer' Campaign Run Cllr??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Was just highlighting the fact that it is easy for someone based in dublin to argue that Dr.keanes plan is ineed one that will benifit the entire country, when he or she does not have to travel very far for cancer treatment and testing.

It is merely an observation that requires "the minister" to have some perspective on the matter, that people in the north west are looking at serious travel hours to seek basic cancer treaatment and testing.

Also Hopefully everyone will try and make the effort to get to the cancer services meeting at 8 o clock tonight in the sligo I.T. directions to which room are availabe at the front desk, hopefully those who can will attend.

That's more your usual self!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Over 300 studies published across the world show that centralised cancer systems work (on average) 20% better.

The problem that still remains here, is that the HSE works (on average) 50% worse than any other health service executive in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Was quite a poor turnout at the meeting tonight to be fair. For an issue affecting the northwest for me I think there should be more than 35-40 people in a room discussing the future of many more peoples cancer services.

For those who may forget when the meetings are on please PM your mobile number as I will be starting a message service to just simply txt people wednsday evening and remind them of when and where the meetings are happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't think a single issue candidate would help much. With no party backing, they're not given the speaking time, support or power to do anything. If one went forward and was elected, it'd be a protest vote and no more. Surely it's not too much to ask that a candidate with other policies should be strong and vocal on the issue? Is it?...........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Just looking back on my suggestion that SOS should have run a candidate.

Any review of local newspapers indicates, looking back on all the local coverage, ehmm, excuse me the TOP ISSUE was Cancer Services, this was Sligo Cancer Services.

Curious how any attempt to generate debate ended up.

• Advertisement

In the interests of consistency, I think its fair to say somebody has forgotten to dispense a very precise wrist slapping here.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In the interests of consistency, I think its fair to say somebody has forgotten to dispense a very precise wrist slapping here.:confused:

Right, if all you've come back to do is complain about the moderation, you don't have to come back at all.

Either cop on or I'm permabanning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

+1 with what Xiney said.

If your going to post some rubbish then your better off not contributing at all.

Dearie Me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Dearie Me

It's Quelle Surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

now cancer services is very close to me i have see it too many times in my family but i just feel i have to mention an incident that happened the day before the local elections i was in sligo town and came across a group of the cancer services people lobbying people not to vote FF this guy straight out asked me who was i voting for when i told him it was none of his buisness at started on me that i was a one of them FF crowd(now i dont really heed the part thing i have voted on the individual not the party) he then more or less got abusive with me i was disgusted i tried to tell him of my family links with cancer but he wouldnt listen he was on a rant,i had just to walk away.the funny thing is my vote was still down the country where i lived before i moved to the north west,so from the start this guy was barking up the wrong tree.
    I now do belive the SOS crowd have over steped the mark and lost sight of fight and decended the campagin into a vendetta against FF,i had looked favourably ont the SOS fight in the past but now detest it after the way i was threated,maybe its just a case of a few headers joining a campagin just to get at the goverment but no heed on the cancer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

hi_sir wrote: »
    now cancer services is very close to me i have see it too many times in my family but i just feel i have to mention an incident that happened the day before the local elections i was in sligo town and came across a group of the cancer services people lobbying people not to vote FF this guy straight out asked me who was i voting for when i told him it was none of his buisness at started on me that i was a one of them FF crowd(now i dont really heed the part thing i have voted on the individual not the party) he then more or less got abusive with me i was disgusted i tried to tell him of my family links with cancer but he wouldnt listen he was on a rant,i had just to walk away.the funny thing is my vote was still down the country where i lived before i moved to the north west,so from the start this guy was barking up the wrong tree.
    I now do belive the SOS crowd have over steped the mark and lost sight of fight and decended the campagin into a vendetta against FF,i had looked favourably ont the SOS fight in the past but now detest it after the way i was threated,maybe its just a case of a few headers joining a campagin just to get at the goverment but no heed on the cancer services.

You were put in a tough spot... but when FF have been in power approx 22 out of the last 25 years...it's understandable that the negaitivity is vented against all those that campaigned under the FF banner.

I have no doubt that some FF candidates are young, ambitious and talented, but then have to fall under the party whip.

You make your bed and lie in it I'm afraid. I'm in favour of the voting for the 'local man' regardless of party allegiance...but if politicians decide to align themselves to a party then I guess they have to live and die by those decisions the same way as Joe Soap Public have to make similar calls and stand by them every day of the week.

hi_sir wrote: »

Obviously the above situation is unnecessary and you have the right to withhold who you are voting for from anyone you choose. Firstly this issue is one very much charged with emotions. As you and probably everyone else on here can say that they have been directly or indirectly affected by cancer and the proposed removal of cancer services from Sligo general hospital. This emotions can get the better of some, and while still inexcusable, should maybe permit yourself to be less annoyed and understanding of the situation and the emotions that go with it.

Secondly the SOS group is completely voluntary and open to everyone who is genuinely interested in preserving the services we have at the minute in the hospital. There are regular meetings and campaigns organised by the SOS group. If you feel that the focus of the group is perhaps deviating from what it should be then I would suggest you attend these events and voice your concern and ideas. It would be good to have yours and others support and also your input at the meetings which are regular but not always well attended. At the end of the day your input is more appreciated at these events than on the internet. While the tock is counting down for services to be removed, it seems to be left to the same few to try and preserve the services which if nothing else is just a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

Note: I have not had time to read the entire thread, and the following post is based entirely on the thread title; apologies!

The day of the election, I entered Dunnes and was bombared by the "Save Sligo Cancer Services" campaign. I am entirely supportive of this campaign, so I asked "OK, who should I vote for to ensure this?" The people there could only tell me, "Not Fianna Fail, anyone else but Fianna Fail." Could anyone here perhaps give me a more precise answer?

jaaavaaa wrote: »
    Note: I have not had time to read the entire thread, and the following post is based entirely on the thread title; apologies!

The day of the election, I entered Dunnes and was bombared by the "Save Sligo Cancer Services" campaign. I am entirely supportive of this campaign, so I asked "OK, who should I vote for to ensure this?" The people there could only tell me, "Not Fianna Fail, anyone else but Fianna Fail." Could anyone here perhaps give me a more precise answer?

I don't think the SOS group has any political affiliations, and that's the way it should be. It is a group comprised of people coming together from all backgrounds to preserve the cancer services in Sligo. Therefore there are many differing political beliefs within the group on a personal level.

In saying that and attending meetings the focus of the group is for the most part against the government party that are trying to remove the services from the hospital. My opinion and has been voiced before is, that method is slightly short sighted. Again though if people have any queries or questions like this then please attend the meetings. If not to get the answers to these and many more questions, but also to voice concerns and help steer the group in a better direction.

Watch out - verbal rubbish to be spewed. The guy who claims he was accosted re FF -v- SOS, is it possible his encounter was not representative of the wider issue.

It seems fair to say that the SOS were anti-FF, because they are responsible for an allegedly incompetent HSE. So quel?quelle? surprise re the purported anti-FF reaction.

Anyways they didn't run a candidate that this particular thread is redundant -- because there is little by way of insightful analysis and the elections are over.

I have continued to pray that this issue is resolved - let's hope it is soon.

I have continued to pray that this issue is resolved - let's hope it is soon.
    Prayers are good, but have you come to the meetings or lend your support in other ways?

1. Thanks for acknowledging prayers are good.
    2. Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

Right, if all you've come back to do is complain about the moderation, you don't have to come back at all.

Either cop on or I'm permabanning you.

although Bobcar has given this the thumbs up I wonder is there a thumbs down option available?

Thanks Sweets.:(

• Advertisement

although Bobcar has given this the thumbs up I wonder is there a thumbs down option available?

There is no thumbs down option on boards.

Further to that, questioning a moderator decision on thread is against the rules - if you have an issue, pm me or take it to help desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

There is no thumbs down option on boards.

Further to that, questioning a moderator decision on thread is against the rules - if you have an issue, pm me or take it to help desk.

Did I question anything? Touch of megalomania there I think.

Sweet Cheeks banned for 1 week. And I think that's enough of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement