Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is coconut milk bad for you?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I've been told by a number of people that coconut milk contains high levels of 'bad' cholesterol, and likewise, I've heard it'll do you no harm.

Maybe I'm being lazy for not researching myself, but does anyone know for sure? I use it, well... quite a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

comes in a can mate;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

"Too much coconut can have tragic consequences", so said an intrepid traveller on a tv show. I can't remember who said it, think it was either Michael Palin, or Ray Mears, it was someone respectful anyway.

He was talking about fresh coconuts, due to their high level of fibre et al that can cause you to become sick, dehydrated and die. I think it was anymore than three and you're in trouble.

As for coconut milk in a can, it's like anything else that's tasty and fatty, just don't go overboard with it. Kind of like double cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There is a lot of coconut oil and sugars in coconut milk. That's what gives it the colour and richness.

In terms of coconut oil, it's not bad for you.

Try this link for reasons why:

http://www.coconutoil.com/

There is a difference between "bad for you" and "high in calories so depending on your energy expenditure, don't use a large amount of it on a daily basis".

There are 550 calories in one cup of coconut milk, which is a 240g serving, so it's not a dieter's food. However, if you look at a main meal and think "curry, made from lean meat, spices, plenty of vegetables, a cup of coconut milk, I won't use much oil to start because I can cook off the spices in some coconut milk, then serve it with plain steamed long-grain rice" you'll soon realise that such foods can be made into a valuable part of your diet if you use them properly.

Additionally, you may find that you don't take a whole cup of coconut milk in your serving because it's a very satisfying food so you can eat less of it.

If you want to know if something is "bad for you", usually a good rule is that the more processed it is, the worse it's going to be. The closer something is to its natural state when it's used, you'll find it has an appropriate and beneficial place in a balanced diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

P.S: Coconut milk is very high in saturated fat, but it contains no cholesterol. This is because there are different kinds of saturated fat - just like there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You can get "light" coconut milk:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/363434_Blue_Dragon_Coconut_Milk_Light____165ml.html

I haven't used it, but I usually have to check when getting it in Dunnes/Tescos that I'm getting the "full" version, so its available - whether it has less calories, probably, but I don't know for sure.

As we're on coconuts :pac:, just as an aside, don't ever buy Creamed Coconut blocks that are not refriderated. I was involved in a Salmonella outbreak with a company in London a long time ago. I have seen it in smaller specialty shops, just on the shelf. I do tell them it should be refrigerated, but generally they just nod at me and hope I'm going to leave soon. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have been using those coconut blocks for years now, I keep them at home unrefrigerated in the cupboard and I have never had salmonella poisoning.
    How exactly do they get contaminated with salmonella when they are sealed in plastic?
    Once I open the plastic bag that seals the contents then I store it them in the fridge.
    I would like to know more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Well I googled it and there is no information on that particular outbreak. I was working for an Asian food importer in London at the time - this was the early 90s. A lot of people were ill, and it was generally horrendous.

The coconut cream had been infected at source, but the general recommendations afterwards were that it should be refrigerated at all times, due to risks of salmonella.

It's a long time ago, but better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Best place to get coconut milk? I got some recently in the Asia Market on Drury st, but it seems full of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Best place to get coconut milk? I got some recently in the Asia Market on Drury st, but it seems full of water.

I don't think that's water. The coconut milk and the oil separates in the can. They are fine when mixed together.

Well it states water as the second ingredient on the list? I thought you could get some without this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Well it states water as the second ingredient on the list? I thought you could get some without this.

Try using the solid blocks instead. Probably the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

It does say to shake the can vigorously before opening it.
    The ingredients in the last can I bought were coconut milk and citric acid which preserves it, you shake, it blends...you mix with thai red curry paste...you smile :D I love it, but it's like everything else high in fat, if you ate a can a day you'd be a big heffalump, if you have it once a fortnight in your curries or whatnot, it's not going to kill you or turn you into a blimp ;)

Where did you buy that?

Also, can the blocks be bought in the shop on Drury st?

Thanks.

Where did you buy that?

Also, can the blocks be bought in the shop on Drury st?

Thanks.

Sorry did you mean me? ...the cans of coconut milk? If so, I bought it in the Asia market on Georges street and I see they're now selling cans of "Blue Dragon" coconut milk and lite coconut milk in my local Eurospar...hope that helps if so, the bars you get in the asia market and some of the big supermarkets too.

PS it seemed really watery to me too till I remembered you're supposed to shake it, it's just the way coconut milk is, it does have water in it too so shake and it makes all the difference

Ok here's some research I did for you, lazy bones :D:D:D

***I did not write this it is from thaifoodandtravel.com

...."I do not recommend canned "light coconut milk" – it has little flavor, if any at all. Usually, some kind of flour has been added to make it look thicker and whiter than it really is, although this is not made known in the listing of ingredients. Better results can be obtained by thinning a good-quality, creamy coconut milk with water or cooking liquids to the lightness desired. If you are concerned about the saturated fat content in coconut milk, know that this saturated fat has been shown in many independent studies to be a good saturated fat, easily metabolized to give your body quick energy. Contrary to popular myth, it does not transform into bad cholesterol to clog up arteries. In fact, cultures around the world that depend on coconut as their main source of fat have been found to be free of heart disease. The principle fatty acid in coconut milk is lauric acid, which is the same fat found in abundance in mother's milk and is known to promote normal brain development and contribute to healthy bones. It also has important anti-carcinogenic and anti-pathogenic properties and is less likely to cause weight gain than polyunsaturated oils.
    The potent anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial effects of coconut oil have implicated it in the treatment of both AIDS and candida. Whatever bad things you may have heard or read about coconut milk have not stood up to scrutiny by unbiased food scientists; however, the goodness of coconut milk has not been given equal press because of intensive lobbying against it by the powerful vegetable oil industry. Southeast Asians, meanwhile, have been staying healthy for generations with coconut an integral part of their diet (The Truth about Coconut Oil).
    Coconut milk should be refrigerated once the can is opened. It keeps for a couple of days to a week I do not recommend freezing coconut milk as this increases the likelihood of curdling when it is next used in cooking – unless you are just warming it through without boiling. Be careful not to buy sweetened coconut milk for Thai cooking. As for powdered coconut milk or the waxy, condensed blocks requiring dilution with water, I do not recommend them, unless you are going backpacking and just can't do without your Thai curry!
    Coconut milk is the base of most Thai curries. Contrary to western ideas of working with cream, to make the curry sauce, coconut cream is first reduced over fairly high heat to break down the cream and allow the oil to separate. The curry paste is then added and fried in the coconut oil until all the herb and spice flavors are released and blended before the rest of the coconut milk is added to make the sauce. Finished Thai curries will have a thin layer of oil floating on top of the sauce. This oil picks up the color of the curries – bright red for red curry, glistening green for green curry, and so on – giving them a lovely appearance rather than a dull, whitish sameness. The color serves as a reminder of their true nature – spicy hot from red and green chillies and not creamy and bland."

EDIT: Jesus ...this thread is from last year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,499 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I too came across that article recently when doing research on coconut milk (was using it for the first time in a Thai curry) :)
    I got some recently in the Asia Market on Drury st, but it seems full of water.

Coconut milk (in cans) typically consists of about two thirds coconut and one third water. Shake well before use!

Cool, thanks. This one actually is 82% coconut extract which isn't too bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

there is no cholesterol in the plant kingdom. relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Any of you guys ever drink this stuff straight? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 didi murray

Sorry...for the delayed post...I just joined.

In traditional medicine around the world coconut is used to treat a wide variety of health problems. See more info at Coconut Research Center. There is a whole list of ailments that coconut oil/milk heals at this website. The vast majority of fats and oils in our diets, whether they are saturated or unsaturated or come from animals or plants, are composed of long-chain fatty acids (LCFA). Some 98 to 100% of all the fatty acids you consume are LCFA. However, Coconut oil is composed predominately of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA), also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). MCFA are very different from LCFA. They do not have a negative effect on cholesterol and help to protect against heart disease. MCFA help to lower the risk of both atherosclerosis and heart disease. It is primarily due to the MCFA in coconut oil/milk that makes it so special and so beneficial.

Making fresh coconut oil is a breeze...simply add 2 1/2 cups hot water and 2 cups dried dessicated coconut to a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Empty contents into a nut milk bag and strain into a jug, squeezing out as much of the milk as possible. It's wonderful used fresh or refrigerate. Overnight the coconut cream separates to the top and the water separates to the bottom and gels. You can mix again by stirring and shaking or use the creamed coconut...really yummy! You can see my blog on Coconut Oil at www.dianasfood4thought.wordpress.com

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

as far as im aware cholesterol is only contained in eggs, meat and dairy. so drink up. coconut milk taste like s.hit in curries. i normally eat it with a spoon when it has separated from the liquid. its delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Only use coconut milk occasionally, when making Korma for little 'uns.

I found 'Thai Gold' brand much better quality than 'Blue Dragon' ie when can was settled much more coconut to water ratio therefore when mixed richer coconut milk.

Advertisement